Performing Rights Society

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely if someone buys a cd then they are in effect paying for the right to play them? They do also target other business's as I have owned a cafe on an industrial estate and they did the rounds there. You don't need a license to listen to talk sport, but that is no use to us!! I'm offended that there isn't much free in our free country!! Surely we are being squeezed enough without adding to our out goings.

You buy the right to play them privately. Not publicly.

It's got nothing to do with the country. It's a business. Like any other business. And they are free to charge their business however they like. It's no different from saying "if you want your hair to look nice either pay us to have it cut, or do it yourself, or go without".

There's no such thing as a free ride.

I'm confused as I am located in Australia. Is this world wide? Or have I just had my head stuck in the sand lol ;)

I'm confused as I am located in Australia. Is this world wide? Or have I just had my head stuck in the sand lol ;)

As far as I'm aware its just rip- off Britain

Given how rich pop stars are, I resent the amount I have to pay for the radio. Perhaps if the music indistry got its house in order and shared proceeds a bit more fairly, they would need to aggressively target salons so much.

PRS are the most aggressive company/body I have ever dealt with. I forgot to pay on time one year. My bill INSTANTLY went up to over £500 and was given to a debt collecter (this was about a week late) The debt collecter phoned every phone line into my salon and refused to get off the line until I gave them my debit card details. It was a shocking, nasty and embarrassing experience.
I hope PRS collapses and internet sharing sods their industry up.

As far as I'm aware its just rip- off Britain

Given how rich pop stars are, I resent the amount I have to pay for the radio. Perhaps if the music indistry got its house in order and shared proceeds a bit more fairly, they would need to aggressively target salons so much.

PRS are the most aggressive company/body I have ever dealt with. I forgot to pay on time one year. My bill INSTANTLY went up to over £500 and was given to a debt collecter (this was about a week late) The debt collecter phoned every phone line into my salon and refused to get off the line until I gave them my debit card details. It was a shocking, nasty and embarrassing experience.
I hope PRS collapses and internet sharing sods their industry up.

This happen to me too, got a debt collection letter almost immediately because I forgot to pay!!!

I thinks what irks me even more is the inconsistency of it all.

Trinity doesn't have to pay, I do and Ive also paid £80 odd for a home based salon and my bro in laws parents have just paid £55.20 for a 13 room motel !!

I would guess the difference is that my radio is not in my salon it's in the hallway outside the bathroom but you can hear it in the salon (spare room) in fact you can hear it all over the house, it's a small house :lol:

i have a home salon dont pay business rates & i spoke to them this morning they said it didn't matter where the music (or TV) was if it could be heard in the salon then i needed a licence !!

:confused: !

I am quite offended by your response to this. I think it's rather immature and narrow minded of you. How is it a load of crap? Performance Rights are there for a reason. My partner is a professional musican, as are many of my friends and these rules are there to protect them and make sure that they earn what they are entitled to.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

This post was from 2006!!!

This post was from 2006!!!

Blimey, I must be going blind! I normally spot the old ones and not bother responding! LOL I blame impending old age (OK, I'm not old - but it'll creep up on me one day right?!)....

Just thinking, if you just listened to radio 4 would you need any licence at all? Also what about sky news on your laptop if you had that going?

Could anyone also let me know the prices of all this - is there two seperate companies as I have been reading on here there is.

thanks

xx

It's got nothing to do with the country. It's a business. Like any other business. And they are free to charge their business however they like. It's no different from saying "if you want your hair to look nice either pay us to have it cut, or do it yourself, or go without".

Or is it not like saying cut your hair then charge people to look at it. Radio is used as a promotion tool for popstars and musicians to get their product out there as ar the music channels, I pay for my own marketing and advertising so should they. Yes and I agree there is definately no free ride in this country

Im a home based salon and i had been paying this license for 5 years.. Yes you HAVE to pay if you are playing any type of music or radio to your clients, i know its crap! But.. ive found i-chill cds which are fine and licence free, told PRS and now i dont have to pay, result! :biggrin:

Last edited:
This subject makes me really cross! How many more companies are going to decide we need to pay them to play music?!
As a couple of other geeks do, i use only ichill cd's which are exempt and I really like them

Im a home based salon and i had been paying this license for 5 years.. Yes you HAVE to pay if you are playing any type of music or radio to your clients, i now its crap! But.. ive found i-chill cds which are fine and licence free, told PRS and now i dont have to pay, result! :biggrin:

That is exactly what we are doing and stand by it too.

Firstly we find the i-chill cds are fantastically tranquil and lovely relaxing music (far from being 'whale music').

Secondly we believe that buying into the i-chill brand is like supporting a small local business. It is a small label or group of musicians that would not have otherwise been able to be as prominent if they hadn't found this niche.

Thirdly, we feel that the big record companies are using the PRS to extort extra cash into their coffers. (Reminds me of the South Park episode where various music artists go on strike due to a similar issue. The South Park version of Brittany Spears was crying as she couldn't update her Private Lear Jet 4 to a 5).

It's like us saying "you can show your nails in private, but if you want to show them in public it's an extra £5" lol.

It's like us saying "you can show your nails in private, but if you want to show them in public it's an extra £5" lol.

I love your analogy

Ha this is so true, it made me laugh!

I just thought i would let everyone know that apparently the music licensing companies are making the rounds through salons at the moment, so you might want to make sure you are covered.

There are two near us that have been done recently. One got hit with a fine over £1000.

They are sending in secret shoppers to report back to them x

My boss got a call from PPL I think?? Some sort of music licence you need as well as prs and she nearly had to back pay the payment from how long she had been at the salon!

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

The other one (on top of the PRS) are called the PPL. If you have a licence with one you will normally also need one with the other.

We had a call from the PPL about 4 days ago and I explained that we only play music that does not require a licence (I use i-chill cd's and other cd's not requiring a licence like a lot of others on this thread). I have also have it written into the salon handbook that myself/employees are only allowed to play these cd's.

If like me you wish to avoid these licence bodies, just be very vigilant. Make sure that the radio is never on in a public area and also ensure that no licensed music cd's etc.. are ever on site.

So what's the difference between ppl and prs, I've just paid PPL didn't realise there was 2 to pay!!!????!

Latest posts

Back