Please help i need advise about doing mobile repairs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
Hi there

wondering if any fellow geeks can help with this one.

i have just started going mobile and was wondering what all you mobile techs do when you have to do a repair to a single nail.

i did a full set last weekend and the girl has rang to say one of her nails has come off (her own fault she admitted.) anyway i am now thinking that i will charge her £3 for a repair (bearing in mind i only charge £15 for a full set and £10 for infills as i am new) BUT....................

I am going to have to lug all my equipment to her house, set it all up, do the repair and travel all the way back home, i am going to say that if she waits till her infills i will only charge £2.

I was thinking that maybe do mobile nails but if they need a repair of 1 nail they would have to come to me.

I am in a right dilemma and it has totally thrown me as it suddenly dawned on me the time that would be wasted to do just one nail. I am already like a pack horse when i do the mobile anyway lol

kizzy

£3 for the repair, tell her that is the cost for the repair but she would need to cover your petrol also as its just a small job. i used to do this, and its amazing how quickly they learn to look after their nails

Peter Pan said:
£3 for the repair, tell her that is the cost for the repair but she would need to cover your petrol also as its just a small job. i used to do this, and its amazing how quickly they learn to look after their nails
well said Glynis!

You have to set a minimum call out charge Kizzy, to make it worth going out for.

i have a minimum call out of £15 that is what i charge for infills anything less they either have to come to me or be charged £15 for whatever they need.
i also tell them if they wait until their next maintanance appointment they get 2 free repairs that way they
a) wait
b) come to me
c) be carged £15 for a repair
hth

Yep, the two answers above it exactly what I used to do when I did mobile. You have to or else they take advantage of you.

Love Val

Thats great advice, im in the same position at the moment. It can feel like such a waste, travelling and spending time on setting up all equipment just for one repair.

Thanks Geeks

Yep,

I had one last week, she phoned in the morning and asked if i could go to her house to do 1 repair.
I was off work that day anyway, so wasnt planning on doing any work.
I told her that there was no way i was going to come to her for 1 repair, but if she really wanted it done, then she could come to me.
She turned up 15 mins late and after i had done her nails asked if she owend me anything!!! the cheek of some people!!
I told her that it would be £3 because i had to set up especially for her, I dont think she was too pleased, but she might take more care next time!!
So make sure you charge, cos otherwise they just take advantage!
hth

I've put the following in my brochure:
"Home appointments have a minimum charge of £10 in order to cover travelling expenses. If your treatment does not come to this amount I may require an additional payment to meet the minimum cost."

Only trouble is that I typed up this clause before I added my eyelash and eyebrow treatments, some of which are under £10 (before that the only thing is nail art and repairs, which you wouldn't really expect someone to call you out for without having another treatment, but it puts off those who would.) Now I'm not sure whether to re-write the clause to lower the minimum fee, or up my treatment costs, which would then put me above the average price for this area. Of course, people do always then have the option of coming to me, but I do worry that it will 'close off' part of my menu to some people.

A bit OT but in the same vein - what would people do about client requiring a patch test before a treatment, such as eyelash perming? Currently I say that a patch test in the salon is free, but a patch test at home is £2 which is refundable against the cost of the treatment, but wonder if I should make them 'in salon' only to avoid trekking out in order to perform a 2-minute patch test??

bimbogeri said:
I've put the following in my brochure:
"Home appointments have a minimum charge of £10 in order to cover travelling expenses. If your treatment does not come to this amount I may require an additional payment to meet the minimum cost."

I totally agree you should have a minimum call out charge, i always did many years ago when I was a mobile tech.

I would tell them that either they wait until the infill or they come to you.

Thanks for all your replies.

The girl is a friend of a relative and she is trying to go through her to ring me to make appointment. why do people insist on doing this?! why can she not just ring me direct instead of 500 calls to sort one problem.

As it happens my relative told her she could not get in touch with me cause i think it is unfair on the relative ending up piggy in the middle. So far I have not heard from her and to be honest i am glad cause the client (well the day) turned out to be a complete nightmare but that is a whole other story lol!

I think the conclusion i have come up with is to still carry on doing mobile nails but to make sure they know that if they need any repairs doing in between that a) it will be £3 per nail and b) they will have to come to me OR if they can wait till the time of infill i will give them 2 repairs for free.

I think this sounds reasonable enough, especially when they are only paying £10 for the infills. (as i am very new)

I am going to make some flyers up with these prices etc.

Thanks for all your help, it really has been helpful, i was in a right pickle thinking surely no one will travel out to do one repair for £3.

Thanks geeks

joannerowsell said:
i have a minimum call out of £15 that is what i charge for infills anything less they either have to come to me or be charged £15 for whatever they need.
i also tell them if they wait until their next maintanance appointment they get 2 free repairs that way they
a) wait
b) come to me
c) be carged £15 for a repair
hth
That's exactly what I was going to say - I think that is the only way round it otherwise you will lose out on time and petrol. I do include 1 free repair with the price of a full set but clients have to come to me for that if they can't wait til infill time.

Latest posts

Back