Please help me sort my life out..! ...Update ... I have an interview lined up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Car/Nail Girl!
If it makes you feel better, I made The Big Change in employment this year and it is hard trying to catch up bill-wise but I'm doing it! I figure a couple of late charges won't kill me (even though it hurts like hell) and I ended up putting 3 car payments on a credit card (ouch).

I looked everywhere for a salon job! I went to the Internet, the Phone Book and just picked up names of salons as I drove by and called. I sent resumes out to all and got a few bites, but not as much as I figured I would! I was wicked nervous at the interviews I went on but did OK, even when I polished the owner of a salon and the polish went all dry and yucky. I must've done something right because she hired me! To be honest, I think LUCK and PERSONALITY has alot to do with getting hired. You have TONS of personality and a whole fresh perspective for any future employer to take advantage of. As long as you can survive The Waiting Game, you'll do great!

Best of Luck, girl!!

Thank you! Thats so sweet of you!

I think i'll just take it as it comes, if it doesn't seem right or she doesn't want to know I won't have lost anything by going along, at least I'll be better prepared the next time!

Well all I can say is WELL DONE YOU!!!

For putting so much thought into something and not just jumping... I wish I had that patience and level headedness - I just jump into mess after mess after mess :D

I regret opening a salon as the hassles we've had all down the line have near driven us both mad - my hubby hates the mention of the place and we've got girls running it - they're getting paid. We don't get a penny. Nope, not one penny.

I didn't take a wage whilst I worked there, only tips which bought lunch :biggrin: - now we pay girls for every hour that it's open and because I'll have three kids, there's no chance I'll be going back for a few years.

The other night I heard hubby saying he doesn't give a f**k about the place anymore and it could burn down to the ground for all he cares :twisted:

It's harder than the business he runs because we have to keep on top of so many people and make sure it's clean, towels are laundered etc etc and above all, that it's open when the girls are saying it is.

All we have done, is create jobs for people! And if I could, I would sell the place pronto!

Right, I went on tuesday. There was no-one at the nail shop so I had to call the number she had left me. Turns out she had a hairdressers up the road so I walked up there. When I got in there was no nail table. The lady dismantled part of them shelves they have in hairdressers and put it on her lap. I was having to put my things on another of the little shelves or work from my case, due to the lack of space I knocked my bowl with the lint free's and pads in, they fell on the floor with all this hair and stuff meaning I couldn't use it - and had nothing else! The lady had overgrown cuticles which the remover delt with a little but there was dead picked at skin growing up the sides of the nails, she said this was too sore for me to remove properly, her hands were in bad condition - had it have been any other situation I wouldn't have thought it right to put enhancements on and would have advised a manicure and oil first. I had to sit leaning over like with my elbows on my knees! I couldn't get my lines straight because when I turned my brush her hands were so close to her body my brush was touching her chest so I couldn't neaten my lines. Then when I was half way through she said she had to go in 20 mins! I only had time to finish, white block and stick a bit of supershiney on them! I couldn't even take the sides in! She went to show the owner before the went and seemed to be explaining that I had found it difficult to be sitting this way, half my stuff was on the floor and I hadn't properly finished. I had traied to explain to the lady as she was a hairdresser and I had been unable to remove the skin properly she may be more prone to lifting.
I'm posting this now as I've just had a call from the lady, she basically said had she gone into a salon and paid for these nails she would have been making a complaint about me therefor she wouldn't be looking to employ me.
I feel like such a failiure. If I was a good nail tech surely I would have been able to do nails sitting anyway, I just guess I'm so used to sitting my way it threw me.
I'm just wondering whats the point now! I keep trying but not getting anywhere! I just need a mini lottery win to pay my credit card off and I could go mobile, thats if anyone else would actually pay me that it, I'm just not sure now!
Sorry for having a little moan, I've always been able to see the silver lining and look on the positive side but this time, I can't find it!

Don't be disheartened hun. It didn't sound like the right place anyway. How can you do a trade test like that FFS? I would say THEY were very unprofessional. You know it wasn't your best work, heck you hadn't even finished them. But you know what, if you thought there were enough contraindications to warrant refusal then you should have refused to do them.

It's given you an insight now into what to look for in a salon. Why not see if you can get a job in a nail salon where there are other techs there who will help you in the early stages. That's what I did and nothing beats it. If you can get them to let you start on model sets at £15 you will be inundated with people and doing sets within 2 hours easy within 2 months. Just depends if you can find someone who is willing to invest in you hun.

Don't give up, this is only the beginning .... it's tough out there!

Thank you!

I wouldn't have done them if there was definate reasons why I shoudlnt, it just made it more difficult and I would have advised a manicure before hand. Had it have been a client of my own I would have been able to take my time and soak them and prep them till the cows came home, I knew I couldn't take all night but at this point I definatly thought I had more time than it turned out that I had!

Hi Louise.
You are way too good to work there. They sound very unprofessional to me. This will make you stronger. You have standards , high ones and dont ever let people with low standards make you feel like this Louise. It is obvious to me that they dont take their profession very serious. They dont even have a table to work from for god sake.. WHY should you improvise. You are a professional, nothing less. Tell em that this place is totally unsuitable anyway, and tell em where to shove their substandard salon.
These things come to try us unfortunately.

Sending you a :hug: :hug: :hug:
Take care and good luck. Go mobile Louise thats my advice. xx

Thank you thats really sweet!.
The way they were talking was as if they were hairdressers and there were nail techs and I was at the bottom, I mean we're all professionals at the end of the day and surely I should get the same respect. I wanted to turn round and say well I'm also a fully qualified car mechanic so stick that in your pipe and smoke it! But I didn't! If felt like they were testing me to see if I was able to do nails against all odds or something!

Thank you thats really sweet!.
The way they were talking was as if they were hairdressers and there were nail techs and I was at the bottom, I mean we're all professionals at the end of the day and surely I should get the same respect. I wanted to turn round and say well I'm also a fully qualified car mechanic so stick that in your pipe and smoke it! But I didn't! If felt like they were testing me to see if I was able to do nails against all odds or something!
But you shouldn't HAVE to do nails against all odds! You should have a proper place with proper materials within proper reach...they shouldn't even be looking to employ a nail tech because it seems that they are not prepared...SHAME ON THEM!! Don't be so down on yourself you did the best with what the circumstances were!! Chin up babe!!!:hug:

Doesnt sound like a professional salon anyway so I wouldnt recommend that you work in a place like that!

Tkae this as a lesson learned and next time you are asked to do a trial or demo then you specify the terms of how they will be done. this will then give you a little more confidence to do the decent set of nails that you know you can do!

Wow! I wouldn't have been able to do anything in those circumstances AT ALL, you were much braver to give it a try! I'd say like the other girls....F THEM! How awful are those women??!! I feel bad for anyone who they hire!

Keep on looking, you'll find someone somewhere who'll work out for you!!

Thank you everyone, I feel alot better about everything now! If they hadn't told me they were all set up for everything I would have teken my own table! Probably better off not though, if they were talking to me like that now lord only knows what they would have been like had I been unfortunate enough to make a mistake leter on!

Latest posts

Back