Please help me sort my life out..! ...Update ... I have an interview lined up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiser

Reaction score
Right that sounds a bit extreem but I really need advice from those who know what they're talking about!

Alot of you know that I currently have two very different interests. My desire to do nails is much stronger than that to fix cars however!

I would love to do nails full time but I have about 5 grand of debt, nothing major just a car on finance, a credit card and an account with a clothing company! If I was to leave my job and go mobile doing nails I fear I may not get the clients that will enable me to cover my monthly out goings, I live at home so if I was late on paying my rent I'm pretty confident my mum wouldn't kick me out!

When I did finally get an interview she saw that I had origionally began as a mechanic and said something along the lines of "there seems to be to great of a contrast in your interests, this seems to question your ability to stay at something for too long" wtf?!?!?!?! This really knocked my confidence, I have made two cv's now though, one for cars and one for nails!

Here in Northamptonshire I have never seen a hairdressers/salon offering a job with a salary, I think this kind of job is my only option as I would need a guaranteed income to cover my debts.

Even if I did manage to find a salon who would be willing to rent me space, what would I do if the clients didn't come in? It isn't that the quality of my work is poor just the number of nss is ruining things for me!

I could give up my job and get something part time and do nails the rest of the time but where would I do the part time work?! There seems to be no-where offering that kind of work either!

I am looking to take a course in hair extensions next year to add another string to my bow but again if I can't get the clients I'm back to square one!

I would be able to pay my debts off in about two years when I would be able to go mobile but I really don't want to wait that long.

Its making me really sad at the minute as all I want to do is nails! I'm really keen in qualifing in others areas of beauty but again, to pay for the courses I will end up getting myself in more debt! I just wish I could win the lottery, even being a millionaire I'd still be doing nails!

Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do? Thanks for taking the time to read my essay everyone x x x

Hmmmm tough call.

Whether you dive in now, or later.. either way, it'll be struggle to build a clientel.

Is it not possible to dedicate say 2 or 3 days to nails and the others to a part time mechanic job?
And build that way? And the once those 2-3 days are 'solids' that you can depend on, ditch the mechanic job?

Again, it's a hard decision. Only you know what your budget is, and how much you need a reliable income.

Best of luck!

My outgoings would be about 500 a month, it doesn't sound particularly scarey but i always think, what if I don't even make a penny! I could travel quite far to get the clients or travel far to get to a job! I've got the fear like Chandler had in friends!

Hmmm, I know where you are coming from because I have sooooo many things that I do, I sew, I write poetry, stories, etc, I have training in the career of Administrative Assistance, I have a fledgeling Business Support Services company, I am thinking about incorporating Office Skills Training into it. I am into clothing design and have a line of ballroom gowns that I would love to have in the stores, I do braids, nails....my God!!! :eek: and I love it all and would love to incorporate everything, but can't, which leaves the question which one of these is going to bring home the bacon?

For me I know that I have to find the one thing that is going to make me financially stable enough that I can pursue the others...have I found it yet? In a word NO. While I want my own Nail Studio, I want other businesses as well.....Darn, I'm more confused now than when I started typing!! I may not have shed any light on your circumstance, but just know, I know from where you speak!!!

Here's hoping we both figure it out! :hug:

What about staying in your mechanics job & build up a clientele, work evenings & weekends, when you feel that you are busy enough then speak to you boss about cutting down hours or days!!

Then when things really start picking up then take the "jump"

This is what I am doing with my Secreterial job, the worry of not having a fixed wage evry month worries me but I dislike my job!!

HTH's x

Thats a good idea, I have a winging boyfriend who drives me up the wall and goes on about never seeing me when I start to pick up in the evenings which I think really holds me back.

I just get up some mornings and feel like crying, I don't dislike my job or anything but I feel so frustrated because I have the capabilities of doing something else that I love and would make me do happy but there seems so many things in the way!

Your debts will weigh you down and make you feel like ***t, it's such a fantastic feeling when you are managing to pay them and you have no-one on your back. So well done!

I understand your desire for doing nails and think you should continue but make sure you cover your backside when it comes to paying your bills, your creditors are not always very understanding and the computer will spit out letter after letter if you fall behind with one payment.

This is not to scare you it is just my experiences that have lead to the content of this post. I hope I haven't offended you in anyway.

:hug: Teri x

If you have debts to pay, I would get as much of them paid off now before going self-employed - being solvent is very liberating and will make things alot easier for you to enjoy your new enterprise.

As for being a mechanic and switching to do nails - so what? That is entirely your prerogative. It doesn't mean you are incapable of sticking to one thing - many people find themselves wanting to change direction in their career and good on them. Change is otherwise known as evolution, and being rigid to change is counter-productive.

You must be happy with your career.

Thank you everyone for you fantastic replys.

Don't worry you haven't offended me at all, i'm grateful for people to tell it to me straight! I know what you mean though, I am funny about my bills, I have never missed a payment so I guess that scares me a bit!

I am a very driven person and am managing to do my full time work and my few clients on the side, I think I would manage its just finding the clients that worries me!

I am a very driven person and am managing to do my full time work and my few clients on the side, I think I would manage its just finding the clients that worries me!

Dont let it worry you hun, I personally see it as a challenge ... the clients come to you for a reason ... challenge yourself to be different from the same as the ones in your town!! (JMHO)

Go & advertise your butt off & pull those clients in :green:

To those of you who have jobs in salons, how did you come accross them?

To those of you who have jobs in salons, how did you come accross them?

Well I started in a salon. I was one of their clients, and some brain wave light bulb went on one day and I thought I'd like to that. So i went and chatted to the owner, as luck would have it they were looking for a trainee and the rest as we say is history! Nails Inc seem to advertise for staff all the time.

UPDATE!

A lady has called and wants to see me in her salon on tuesday! I'm pappin' myself! What if I forget everything, what if it takes me hours?!?!?!

What sort of questions should I ask?

x x x

Is it better to write my questions down to take with me?

This is for a new salon thats still being built, the lady is planning to take people on to rent tables, I'm not too keen on this as I woudn't have the guaranteed income, Can I ask the salon owners what their reasons are for prefering this kind of employment?

Is it better to write my questions down to take with me?

This is for a new salon thats still being built, the lady is planning to take people on to rent tables, I'm not too keen on this as I woudn't have the guaranteed income, Can I ask the salon owners what their reasons are for prefering this kind of employment?

Hmmm... personally, I wouldn't - that may be a little too invasive for a job interview (although I really think it's great that you are taking so much interest).

From an employers prospective, renting out tables guarantees them an income when their salon is dead - i.e you still have to pay your rent even if you have no clients, whereas, if you were their employee.. if you had no clients all day... they would still have to pay you your hourly wage

Sorry that didn't sound right, I meant can I ask the salon owner geeks why this kind of employment is common!

Sorry that didn't sound right, I meant can I ask the salon owner geeks why this kind of employment is common!

You are in the best place to get great advice!

As Sassy says, renting tables is better for your boss as she is saving on tax and NI etc etc... which can be bloody expensive for a small business.

Loads of Geeks on here can give you loads more advice xxxxx

Does anyone get paid by salary? She said on the phone she wants it to be full time, would you think I could do a bar job at the same time to ensure I'm getting money in just in case? I'm really excited but frightened at the same, at an average of 3 hrs a rebalance I haven't much chance of getting it anyway, I just want it to be a good experience!

Latest posts

Back