Please help with what to say

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj7

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am wondering if you can help me at all. I am having a bit of an issue when it comes to our policy. I took over a salon 18 months ago before they used to charge every time they took of gel, even if they were reapplying it. I thought that was a bit tight so now don't charge anything for removal if we put the gel back on, we do charge if we are taking some else's work off though- which I think is fair. It is very clear on our price lists, but I have had a couple of people call and ask, I have been very clear about our policy and they still question it. However a customer has literally just walked in and said that I didn't say that and that I said we only charged if we were not putting gel back on. I really don't want to argue with customers as it just makes everything sour and doesn't look good in front of other customers. How do people deal with customers saying you said something completely different to what you said, without getting into an argument? Thanks in advance for any help you can give and hope that all makes sense?

xxxx

In that situation I think I'd reiterate what the policy is, say I'm sorry if you misunderstood me ;) but this time let it go and not charge out of goodwill. But then that's me, I'm not up for a showdown lol, others will disagree but I guess it's down to who you are and what you can bear lol

You have a policy but how do you communicate how the policy works to your clients?
First of all, make sure your staff mention the costs before any work is undertaken as part of your routine consultation. Draft a form of words that everyone has to use then there's no ambiguity.
Secondly, display a price list next to reception and point to it if anyone queries the fee when they come to pay.

Well I've got to say I'm not quite clear from your post what you do and don't charge for, so I'm not surprised your clients aren't sure either.

So you don't charge for removal if you're reapplying gel?

But you do charge for removal if it's someone else's work regardless of whether you're reapplying gel?

What if someone wants removal of your work but no reapplication? Do you still charge them?

I think you're almost better with a flat charge for removal, as was in place before you took the salon over. At least that's very clear.

If your policy is being questioned often, then there's obviously a communication issue somewhere. It's either too complicated, or it's not being displayed where clients can see it, or when it's being explained to them it's not clear and simple enough that they get it.

The price list at the desk is probably the best 'prompt'.
I believe most salons work the way you describe - free removal if the client is a regular, and is having a
re-application - charged if they just want a removal, or if it is someone else's work.

Trouble is, if they have been elsewhere, you never really know whats been used, and some folk on here tell horror stories of spending FOREVER trying to remove dodgy gel! :eek:

I charge regardless, an extra £3 on top. Maybe you should go that? Maybe Start it from January, I don't really understand why people don't yo be honest, as it's still time, product & consumables!

We've never had an issue.
£12 for a straightforward removal of ours or anyone else's with no reapplication.
£6 added to a gel application if we remove someone else's product and apply gels.
Free if we remove our product and reapply.

One day I was doing a clients nails. She asked what we charged for removal and I told her it was free. Two days later, the clients daughter rang and asked to book in just for removal. I told her if we hadn't applied it, it was £12. She said "my mum told me it was free" I was like why would we remove someone else's product for free??? Jeez!!!

So make it clear and charge. And buff every set of gels that you didn't apply into oblivion. Because they will swear they're CND Shellac and halfway through removal you realise they definitely aren't. We buff the bulk of it off before soaking.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back