Plucking lip hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigermonkey

Reaction score
Hi geeks
One of my clients was told by another therapist that she should never pluck the hair on her top lip as when you pluck one, two will grow back in its place. She has it waxed though but this therapist says that that's okay-just not the plucking. I haven't heard of this before and I don't see why it would cause two hairs to grow back in one follicle or why it would be any different from waxing it. Surely its the same action?

Can anyone shed some light? I've plucked before and I've never noticed it come back thicker or twice as much but I don't want to discredit another therapist without checking. Any replies will be much appreciated! Thanks :)

very strange, first of myself hearing this view, some clients with stronger hair growth will have hairs that are a tad more stubborn than others, as we all know you cannot keep waxing over the same area, and it would not be a complete treatment to leave any hairs, If there are a few left the only way to remove is to pluck, with the hair line growth and still supporting the skin of course x

I'm sure that plucking the hair would not cause two hairs to grow in its place. plucking is still removing the hair at the root and I'm sure would not stimulate the hair growth x x

Waxing is plucking on a massive scale, and in all my years of being in the industry I have yet to have a client come back with an upper lip twice as hairy as it was when she last had it waxed! If is was the case, then I'm about 99.9% sure that waxing would have died a death a longtime ago!
I always go over an area with tweezers after I've waxed and oiled the area!

Generally 1 hair grows from 1 follicle meaning that this is an old wives tale. It reminds me of being told by older 'ahem' people saying pluck a grey hair and several will grow back in its place or they know a friend who went grey overnight:smack:
There are instances where more than one hair can grow from one follicle but generally this is considered rare?
Hth.

Thanks for all the replies! It did sound a bit odd to me :)

sounds like poor advice from a poorly trained (if at all trained) "therapist!" Check your A&P knowledge for the correct response.

My mother always told me this too...seems it's a common old myth!

As a result, I had been cutting an ugly hair I have on my chin for years. But because this leaves an annoying bit of stubble, I picked/scratched it and now have a slight bit of scarring.

However, since I've trained in beauty (I was 33 when I qualified) I know this isn't correct. I did ask my tutor about this at college and she explained that if you remove vellus hairs, there is the possibility of them becoming terminal hairs over time. If it is already a terminal hair, plucking it is not going to make a blind bit of difference!

Latest posts

Back