preserving polish on natural nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailfairy

Reaction score
hi guys,
Dont do that many people that have natural nails, all enhancements. What i'de like to know is the best way to get polish to stick to natural nails, please dont say Sticky basecoat, because with my holiday coming up i just havent got the funds!! Ive heard that if you scrubfresh the nail then apply base..2 coats..top coat. That helps. Any suggestions. This lady has children at my kids local school and is quite popular so could lead to more work!

hi, i do as you have said after a manicure i use scrub fresh or nail varnish remover so the nail plate is squeeky clean, then base, 2 coats of colour then top coat.i also leave a tiny gap(free of polish) all the way round the nail plate which seems to make it last longer.snooks

Make sure you seal the free edge properly by taking the top coat over & slighty under it. This reduces chipping. It is also a great opportunity to retail top coat as topping it up after a few days makes it last longer.
HTH

nicjill said:
Make sure you seal the free edge properly by taking the top coat over & slighty under it. This reduces chipping. It is also a great opportunity to retail top coat as topping it up after a few days makes it last longer.
HTH

personally i found when using a base cost on certain polishes by the time you have applied two coats of polish an then top coat and its set they some time never dry an client always knocks them after.

i normally after applying gel or even on the natural nail apply 2 coats of polish
an a glass cote sealer cured under the lamp for 3 mins seals an lasts the client and are bone dry when the client leaves the salon

if it was natural nail i squek clean the nail with polish remover before hand

A good base coat is the essence of a great lasting polish....after a great manicure and cuticle removal...........You need a base coat that will anchor the enamel to the natural nail and gives it a sound foundation.........I know you said please don't say Stickey, but sorry I have to say Stickey........... Consumer award winning base coat.........double that with scrubfresh and hey you are onto a winner.........Cap the free edge with a top coat and it will last for ages...
But even the best polish will need some TLC, wearing gloves when washing up is one of them.....
Stickey doesn't cost any more than any other leading base coat.......
JMHO

ditto ruth!! 100% agree. couldn't have put it better myself!

ditto ditto Ruth and Juss....Stickey is only about £3.85......and to be honest it will be one of your best investments!
:D

On the subject of Stickey base coat, I've just been looking through April's Cosmo & not only is Stickey there, but also Super Shiney, Solar Oil & Solar Speed Spray! A whole bunch of my favourite products :D. Sorry, a little off topic I know but thought I'd share this while it's so quiet in here!

hi ya

Am i being dim but who makes stickey base coat i have never heard of it! I could do with a good base coat for manicures.

hi Susi

it is a creative nail base coat - you can get it from Designer nails
susie said:
hi ya

Am i being dim but who makes stickey base coat i have never heard of it! I could do with a good base coat for manicures.

I would take the advice of using "Scrubfresh" before applying the base coat. But also I have found that if you have a client with particulaly "bendy or flimsy" nails, once the clients bends them it can disrupt the polish and it can peal or chip easyer. I'm having this problem at the moment with my nails after having a baby. If that is the case try to use a treatment basecoat to strengthen them a little more.

Hope this helps.
Jules:)
nailfairy said:
hi guys,
Dont do that many people that have natural nails, all enhancements. What i'de like to know is the best way to get polish to stick to natural nails, please dont say Sticky basecoat, because with my holiday coming up i just havent got the funds!! Ive heard that if you scrubfresh the nail then apply base..2 coats..top coat. That helps. Any suggestions. This lady has children at my kids local school and is quite popular so could lead to more work!

Jacky said:
ditto ditto Ruth and Juss....Stickey is only about £3.85......and to be honest it will be one of your best investments!
:D

I agree that is pretty good value, but i dont need anything else from CND at the min and i do begrudge paying £6.50 for postage of one small item! :|

Perhaps some one could get you one from the osns and send it on ?

I think that its better to use a top of the range product that works, Than to cut corners and lose clients.
JMHO

nailfairy said:
I agree that is pretty good value, but i dont need anything else from CND at the min and i do begrudge paying £6.50 for postage of one small item! :|
What about Ellisons?...If you like, the next time I order I could add one to my list and send it on to you?

need it before next tuesday though! :sad:

have pm'd u!!!

nailfairy said:

I thought that postage costs were lower for small items? It might me worth ringing to check.

Orly has started making a natural nail basedoat called Bonder, it is a rubberized basecoat which helps prevent natural oils from coming up through the nailplate.
Since a client turned me on to it I have been keeping polish on my clients natural nails twice as long as normal, and in 1 clients case she can keep her polish on for 10 days between manicures. That is outstanding. Here is my proceedure:

1-- buff nail with white block or other buffer
2-- de-hydrate nailplate
3-- apply Orly Bonder Basecoat
4--two coats of color
5-- topcoat--I prefer OUT THE DOOR
6-- CUTICLE OIL

Regards,

Nailman

nailfairy said:

I use orly's bonder too and can highly recommend it, i also top coat with wont chip (orly again).

havent tried STICKY yet....next on my list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amb

Hi

I have found stickey to be an excellant base coat and also toughen up the orly one sounds interesting though i might give that a go. I would definatly use a dehydrater like scrub fresh prior to application rather than polish remover as some polish removers contain oils to keep the nails and skin hydrated but you dont really want any oil on the nail plate before polishing.

Latest posts

Back