Professional dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailnovice

Reaction score
I really need some good advice as I have just started my own nail business and rent a room in a beauty salon 3 days a week. The reason I started was becuase I got my nails wrecked on more than one occasion by local nail techs and I like to wear enhancements so I did a few courses.
Trouble is, I am not getting many clients 'cos they are still going to the the local ones as they don't know any better or have been put off completely by the damage they have suffered. I don't want to criticise any other nail tech so I have never told anyone that some of these other ones are not treating them properly. What do I do?
  • One salon owner does not believe in disinfectant and never cleans her tools
  • Another salon advertises their acrylic as 'not damaging the natural nail' (this is actually true - it's the nail tech who did the damage)
  • And another place where you are told that 'gel never sets so you should always wear a clear varnish over the top' this tech has never been trained and doesn't know you can wipe off the top sticky layer of gel.
I don't think we should criticise each other and there are also some very good techs near me but how do I educate people and gain more clients?

:confused:

Perhaps have an open day at your salon, Get some vouchers printed up etc
This way you can get some clients and you will also get the chance to advise them on what is right or wrong in the nail world.

Thanks, that's a good idea. At least then I won't be naming names just telling everyone the way it should be.

Hi

I believe you should always act professionally, you should inform your clients that the nail services shouldn't hurt, etc, but don't "bad mouth" other salon's i think it just makes you look bad personally.

Instead point out your hygiene in subtle ways eg spray your tools and files in front of the clients before you start and explain what you are doing and why. Usually a little light will go on in their head and they will think oooh my other tech didn't do that.............

One of the best ways to build up is by word of mouth, maybe start a reccomend a Friend scheme this has always been popular in my salon. I also find we get a lot of work from the yellow pages.

There is a salon in the town next to us and they are the only other creative salon near to us they have always been quite good and they advertise that they are creative masters. However lately we have gained some clients from them as their "new" method of removal before putting a new set on is to clip the ends off with tip cutters and then clip the rest off with cuticle nippers!!! OMG thats not the end then they use their drill and "smooth" the rest off!!!

The poor clients nails are sooo thin and flimsy with big lines in them from the drill!

But they have learned a lesson and are now our clients so its only good news to us lol!!

Latest posts

Back