Rank your website well - Group Participation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, for the rest of us, it seems there are a few up for this. So i may as well get everyone started over the weekend, (its like home work this!)

Now i'm not going to completly hold your hand through this, some of it your going to have to figure out yourselves, ie. the process of pressing each button and going through wizards etc! Im sure you're all techie enough to figure them steps out! But obviously i'll guide you as best i can.

If you have any problems, reply to this thread, as many people may be having the same issues. If you have a question which isnt suitable or relevant to everyone else then by all means PM me.

STAGE ONE - GOOGLE ACCOUNT
So, stage one, everyone needs a Google account. Sign up here and get yourselves a google account and if need be, (although i think you have to anyway, get a gmail free email account.)

In most cases you can use your correct/personal details, it makes it easier if you forget your password/username. I actually used the salon name as the Google account name, but i dont think it matters. we'll create two entities within Google anyway, one personal and one business.

Once you have your Google account or if you already have a Google account, you can move onto the next stage and create your Google + profile.

STAGE TWO - GOOGLE PLUS +
Ok, so when your logged into your Google account, in the top right corner next to your recently signed up username, click the down button and click the blue button labelled Profile.

(In some cases, you may need to "upgrade" your account to Google+, if so, click "Your Account", once there, on the right hand side there should be an option to "Upgrade to Google +" click this and upgrade your account.
Why its called an upgrade i dont know.)

You can now start filling in your profile. NB However, this profile should be relevant to yourself! Not to your business, we'll do the business profile next.

Last step on this is to create your Google + Business profile. On the left hand side of the Google plus account, on the menu at the bottom theres an icon which looks like this ... basically 3 dots, click that and then when that opens theres an icon called "Pages" it looks like four corners of a square.

Click this and then create your Google + page for your business, adding as much information as possible.

Ok, i think thats enough to get you started for now, ill update you with more stuff over the next day or so.

Dont forget to thank me if you're finding this helpful! :p

I think this is a terrible idea. I would much rather satisfied customers leave me an honest review. Do you not have any conscience? Leaving brilliant reviews for people you have never met and enticing the unsuspecting public to use them? For all you know the people you are leaving reviews for may not have any qualifications or experience.
I for one will not be using this 'service'

Ill just re-iterate my last post for you..

"its not just about the reviews, its about the whole presence of your website on the internet, the more "citations" you have, the more credit google gives your site as its being "mentioned" on other sites.

Doing reviews is only a part of it, ill also go through adding to directories, multiple search engines, google +, google circles, google places etc, so if you're not happy about the reviews, leave that part out."

You could say the same for someone who lives nowhere near you "liking" your facebook page? Only this way we're enhancing our presence on the web.

I think this is a terrible idea. I would much rather satisfied customers leave me an honest review. Do you not have any conscience? Leaving brilliant reviews for people you have never met and enticing the unsuspecting public to use them? For all you know the people you are leaving reviews for may not have any qualifications or experience.
I for one will not be using this 'service'

Also i may add, the process will be clicking the Google +1 button, there is no review made, its just simply a tick to say you like this page on the web.

Interesting thread.

On the reviews side of things, Yelp will filter out any reviews automatically that it believes are suspect.

On the directory side of things Google will also sandbox a website that suddenly seems to get a lot of inbound links when previously it had none.

DMoz is the best directory to be listed in but they don't just list any old weebly site - it has to be something of interest - a resource to the reader and already well established.

Google constantly changes it's search algorithm too, and whilst being number one for a few months is great, being number 3 for a few years is most definitely better.

I'm not saying it won't work or have any benefits at all, and I congratulate you on being on the first page of Google for the search term "hair salon southport" but looking at your website you are offering an iPad to every customer yet still have to discount your intro prices to £8 for a blowdry and £35 for a cut and colour with a stylist.

We offer a magazine and charge double that for our trainees.

Maybe spending your days submitting to directories and false review sites isn't going to be the best use of your time to improve business? Technology and SEO doesn't make people cut amazing hair.

Interesting thread.

On the reviews side of things, Yelp will filter out any reviews automatically that it believes are suspect.

On the directory side of things Google will also sandbox a website that suddenly seems to get a lot of inbound links when previously it had none.

DMoz is the best directory to be listed in but they don't just list any old weebly site - it has to be something of interest - a resource to the reader and already well established.

Google constantly changes it's search algorithm too, and whilst being number one for a few months is great, being number 3 for a few years is most definitely better.

I'm not saying it won't work or have any benefits at all, and I congratulate you on being on the first page of Google for the search term "hair salon southport" but looking at your website you are offering an iPad to every customer yet still have to discount your intro prices to £8 for a blowdry and £35 for a cut and colour with a stylist.

We offer a magazine and charge double that for our trainees.

Maybe spending your days submitting to directories and false review sites isn't going to be the best use of your time to improve business? Technology and SEO doesn't make people cut amazing hair.

Jesus, why the bitchiness?? You try to help people and this is what you get??

Whats it got to do with you what prices we charge for our graduate stylists?? Its an Intro price, like you mentioned, it wont stay that price, and bully for you for your double price for trainees.

And as for your sound knowledge of Google, "Sandbox" doesnt exist, a de-listing exists but Google will NOT de-list a website that gets 1,000's of links in a very short time, as a business could potentially do that to its competitor, and anyway i doubt we'll get to that level but thanks for your concern.

And, if you read the initial post properly, i dont cut hair, i design websites and work in SEO.

I would be totally up for this! My website is new so not ranking high on google at all! I think this is a great way to help each other out x x

Jesus, why the bitchiness?? You try to help people and this is what you get??

Whats it got to do with you what prices we charge for our graduate stylists?? Its an Intro price, like you mentioned, it wont stay that price, and bully for you for your double price for trainees.

And as for your sound knowledge of Google, "Sandbox" doesnt exist, a de-listing exists but Google will NOT de-list a website that gets 1,000's of links in a very short time, as a business could potentially do that to its competitor, and anyway i doubt we'll get to that level but thanks for your concern.

And, if you read the initial post properly, i dont cut hair, i design websites and work in SEO.

Hmmm...I wasn't trying to be bitchy, the weather is miserable so forgive me if my posts don't seem full of sunshine.

You are listed here as a hair, nail and beauty professional. How was I to know your profile isn't accurate and that you are actually none of those things?

For Google sandbox see here: Sandbox effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't profess to be a web-designer, and I wouldn't join a webmaster forum filling out a profile pretending I was, but I do have experience in producing websites. I'm on the first page of Google for the search term "Hairdressing" which I am sure you can appreciate is no easy task...none of it done via blackhat or paid links etc either.

I didn't mean to come across as mean, and I agree my post reads that way so once again, sorry about that, but I assumed were a hair professional who thought that a few +1's would solve your business woes and failing that, one or 2 glowing false reviews on Yelp might do the same.

Obviously that's not the case so I'll bow out.

I'll add before I do though that searching for businesses in becoming something that's done via mobile platforms more and more. My iPhone is running iOS6 Beta 2 and just the other night I asked Siri to "find me restaurants around here" - which it did via the help of Yelp. I was able to read reviews etc. and go to the restaurant.

When I got home I checked Yelp from my laptop and noticed that they hadn't delivered ANY restaurants to my iphone that had filtered reviews (i.e. suspect reviews). That's something worth thinking about considering every iPhone user will be on iOS6 by October. Just my thoughts.

If people want to object to the reviews side of things then thats fine, we wont bother doing a review.

We can still look at adding your business to directories like Yell, Scoot, Qype, etc.

Im only trying to help other users at least get their website noticed by google, im not out to make any false impressions of businesses or make any gain from this so please go easy!

All of this information of adding your business to directories etc is already out there on the internet, im just bringing it to your attention in small bites!

hope this doenst offend anyone.

Hmmm...I wasn't trying to be bitchy, the weather is miserable so forgive me if my posts don't seem full of sunshine.

You are listed here as a hair, nail and beauty professional. How was I to know your profile isn't accurate and that you are actually none of those things?

For Google sandbox see here: Sandbox effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't profess to be a web-designer, and I wouldn't join a webmaster forum filling out a profile pretending I was, but I do have experience in producing websites. I'm on the first page of Google for the search term "Hairdressing" which I am sure you can appreciate is no easy task...none of it done via blackhat or paid links etc either.

I didn't mean to come across as mean, and I agree my post reads that way so once again, sorry about that, but I assumed were a hair professional who thought that a few +1's would solve your business woes and failing that, one or 2 glowing false reviews on Yelp might do the same.

Obviously that's not the case so I'll bow out.

I'll add before I do though that searching for businesses in becoming something that's done via mobile platforms more and more. My iPhone is running iOS6 Beta 2 and just the other night I asked Siri to "find me restaurants around here" - which it did via the help of Yelp. I was able to read reviews etc. and go to the restaurant.

When I got home I checked Yelp from my laptop and noticed that they hadn't delivered ANY restaurants to my iphone that had filtered reviews (i.e. suspect reviews). That's something worth thinking about considering every iPhone user will be on iOS6 by October. Just my thoughts.

Thanks, apology accepted and i take on board your point of me not being a nail, hair nor beauty professional. I do however own a salon so from a business perspective that is why im here. I do have those attributes in members of staff at my salon so i put those points in for that reason, but ill look to edit that detail shortly.

Classixuk is spot on! Not only is this wreckless and a blatant attempt to manipulate the SERP's but sooner or later Google will update algorithms to counteract the spammy actions of website owners. Like all black hat and grey hat methods.....short term results may be impressive.....but long term you may lose your ranking completely. I guarantee you that the only winners here will be the salons and spas who act ethically and honestly online. Reviews from other salon owners are not genuine and there is significant evidence to suggest that velocity of reviews and even citations can have a negative effect on rankings.

If you want my opinion......stay well clear

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Classixuk is spot on! Not only is this wreckless and a blatant attempt to manipulate the SERP's but sooner or later Google will update algorithms to counteract the spammy actions of website owners. Like all black hat and grey hat methods.....short term results may be impressive.....but long term you may lose your ranking completely. I guarantee you that the only winners here will be the salons and spas who act ethically and honestly online. Reviews from other salon owners are not genuine and there is significant evidence to suggest that velocity of reviews and even citations can have a negative effect on rankings.

If you want my opinion......stay well clear

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I disagree completely 100%. But that's your opinion, and youre entitled to it.

I could understand if we're talking about 1000's of spammy reviews, but we're not, and besides I've already suggested we leave the reviews side of things out if we're not comfortable with it.

Think people need to stop focusing on the reviews element here and look at the positive which is the fact that theres no black hat method when you're legally adding your website to searh engines and directories like yell, scoot, city-visitor etc. And +1'ing websites which you think is a worthwhile vote.

If you search for a salon in your area, I would guess that 9 times out of 10 yell or wahanda or some other directory is listed on first page, it's about making sure your business is also listed on yell and the others to give you a fightin chance your site will be seen by those searching for your services.

Sorry I need to butt in here, I have some experience of webdesign and SEO and it is Bloomin hard work to keep your site on page one if you are starting out.

Nowhere did I glean from the original post that any of us would be expected to put false reviews up for other geeks sites ( did I miss something?) I feel that this OP has offered to help new geeks to get their sites noticed without having to spend hours crosslinking, advertising, begging clients, family and friends to leave reviews and first and foremost to teach those of us with no knowledge of this a new skill. SEO is full of exactly this kind of thing and usually you would need to pay a fairly steep price for it!

For those that "will have none of it" well don't then, we are all entitled to our opinions and you are in the very good position being able to turn away an offer like this, hopefully the newer business women and men can be in as enviable position as you in years to come, but for now I think they might need all the help they can get with competition being keen and I commend the op for offering their time and expertise FOC to a community we are all part of.

My site has consistently been on page one for years now ( without any bogus reviews) but I spend hours every week making sure it stays there. Time I could be spending elsewhere, so I welcome the idea, it will free me up to do much more towards building my business

Sorry but I say good for him (or her) for offering to share some sound knowledge on how to stack the deck in our favor.

And once again sorry if I have offended anyone but I feel I know a bit about these things and used to make a living at it a few years ago. Open your minds and embrace the workings of technology.:wink2:

I think that we should all help each other if we can. I am always looking for ways to improve my website, salon, skills etc. If there is something I don't like I don't have to do it!

I've set up my google +1 pg. Looking forward to the next set!

"step" - been watching too much tennis lol

Done my google+ page too. Not sure what to do with it now though??

I'm in :)

Sent from my Nexus S using SalonGeek

My google + page is all set up! :)

Hey guys, just a quick post as it seems some of you have done your Google profiles.

Next Step - You'll now want to make sure you have a Google business listing, from Google either search for Google places or within your Google account, look for the "Products" menu option and go for the "Google Places" section.
It'll ask you to search for your business initially to see if it already exists, if so, claim it and you'll need to go through the verification process, if it doesnt exist, add it.

If you're adding your business, it's important to use the proper business name you have, as this has a knock on effect later, so don't try and trick it by saying stuff like "Alpha Beauty Salon Stockport" if your business is just called Alpha Beauty.

Make sure you fill EVERY single bit of information, there's a section that asks for a video, if possible, do a simple PowerPoint sideshow or similar and add it to YouTube. You can use the same Google account details to setup a YouTube account if you haven't got one already.

Once you've completed all the boxes, it'll ask to verify the information, in some cases it'll send you an SMS or recorded message to the phone number, in other cases it'll send you a postcode with a Pin code on, normally this takes about a week or so.

Ok, let me know when we're there and I'll post the next bit shortly.

For those who already have a google account, just make sure that the status of your google places listing is 100%. if it says less than that then you've missed out some Information so you'll need to go back and check.

Latest posts

Back