Rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beccascottx

Reaction score
Does anybody else feel like they never ever switch off?
I am currently working full time from my home salon, we are also in the process of redecorating the house, I have a teething 11 month old who insists on sleeping in our bed and crying all night, and a puppy who wees and poos everywhere and all of my stuff. When I finish work I sort tea, do the dishes and washing, sort childcare, put my little boy to bed and then seem to spend the rest of my evening replying to clients, trying to stay ontop of my accounts, and cleaning the house. My day off is a Sunday and I feel like every single week I am spending it cleaning. All day I look forward to going to bed, and when I do go to bed I have clients messaging me at all hours and my little boy crying.
Yes the money from self employment is great and the buzz you get from running a successful business is like no other, but does anybody else on here ever just think "please leave me alone"
Any tips on how to switch off?

Turn your phone and laptop off!!

You need to work smarter, not harder. If you reply to clients all hours of the night and day they will think its ok to contact you all hours of the night and day. I get you want to be helpful and build your business but there has to be a balance. You will never have this time with your child again, but there will always be new clients.

You need to take control, set a time when you will do an hour on your laptop after work to reply to emails, and update your books, then save and close. Do not answer work calls/texts after say 6.30pm or before 8.30am - or whatever hours you choose - and stick to it. Clients will work within the structure you set, but only if you set it.

The decorating and household stuff will sort itself once you start taking control of the work stuff. Puppy and baby will grow so fast, you'll wonder where the days went.

I know exactly how you feel. Sunday is my day off and I try and take 2 half days on a Monday and Tuesday where possible but I feel all I do when home is housework or got to wholesalers/ work on admin for business. When my OH is home, he just lies on sofa watching telly, I could never do that in the day knowing the house was a mess! I had a meltdown the other week and arranged for a cleaner to come in for 2 hours on my Monday afternoon off but I felt like if I'm paying for a cleaner, I want it to be better than I do myself and she didn't even Hoover under the sofa so haven't booked her since! You do sound like you have a lot going on though, I think just prioritise time that is yours and resist the urge to check your messages etc and just switch off. Try and get into a good book or a film for a few hours. The puppy will get easier in a few weeks. Ours is 9 months now and out of that difficult stage. I'm off to bed in a minute as working tomorrow and feel really run down tonight. Loads of clients been in with colds and I think they have kindly given them to me! Rock and roll on a Friday night, it's very Glamourous this running your own business lark! Had loosely made plans for tomorrow night but I think it's cancelled now and I'm so happy cos I get to come in from work, pj's on and do nothing!

Becca you sound like me!

Do you know I am exactly the same, never ever stop and sometimes think I'm going mad as just getting things done at home after work is such a chore!
I try to have set days and times where I work but find saying no hard, and I'm the same I work from home and at times feel I never leave my house!!!!
And my partner hit the nail on the spot when I was working last my hours last week....... He said, "if you were still at the salon(where I used to work) would you drive there, open up and do that client????? No you wouldn't.... So don't do it just because your at home!!!" And he is so right I wouldn't have doubt that as salon has opening times and I've decided it shouldn't be different just because I work at home! So I've crossed out with felt tip my finishing times and I'm going to try and stick to it, because we do need to enjoy family life without the stress, I try to allow time sat to do my weekly books and keep on top of it x

Yes, sounds like me when my kids were little. It does get better!
My top tips:
-Stick to doing clients in the hours you have agreed with your partner
- notify clients of the hours in which you will deal with correspondence
- keep Sunday special
- make a to do list and work through it in order of priority
- get a cleaner in every week when your partner is out (tell him it's either that or he has to do more to help)
- use time saving meals like bunging food into a slow cooker at lunch time so it's ready for tea. Freeze extra portions for another day
- order your groceries on line and have it delivered after work preferably when your partner is at home to help put away
[emoji4][emoji4]

Does anybody else feel like they never ever switch off?
I am currently working full time from my home salon, we are also in the process of redecorating the house, I have a teething 11 month old who insists on sleeping in our bed and crying all night, and a puppy who wees and poos everywhere and all of my stuff. When I finish work I sort tea, do the dishes and washing, sort childcare, put my little boy to bed and then seem to spend the rest of my evening replying to clients, trying to stay ontop of my accounts, and cleaning the house. My day off is a Sunday and I feel like every single week I am spending it cleaning. All day I look forward to going to bed, and when I do go to bed I have clients messaging me at all hours and my little boy crying.
Yes the money from self employment is great and the buzz you get from running a successful business is like no other, but does anybody else on here ever just think "please leave me alone"
Any tips on how to switch off?

Just have a read of older threads...hope things have gotten better x

Latest posts

Back