Rent a chair/split basis makeup artist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToriaShaw

Reaction score
I had an interview for a salon today to be the makeup artist there. What Do you think a reasonable split between salon and makeup artist would be?
They asked for 40% of what I earn in the day!
The set up is a chair in the corner of the salon facing a mirror and I only use one plug?
Am I being ripped off or what? Hahaha
It's also a local salon (not in a city/town centre)

No 40/60 split is the industry standard for rent a chair or negotiate a flat daily rate instead which can save all the hassle of working out who gets what. My MUA/brow/lash tech pays £40 for a Saturday.

No 40/60 split is the industry standard for rent a chair or negotiate a flat daily rate instead which can save all the hassle of working out who gets what. My MUA/brow/lash tech pays £40 for a Saturday.
No way I didnt know that! Do you think I should increase my prices then I currently charge £25 including lashes which means £15 to me £10 to the salon. What are your your makeup artists price lists? X

I think prices depends where in uk you are located as they do vary. As a rule you should be able to pay your rent with approx 1-2 hrs work then the rest of the day takings would cover your stock overheads and wage. If you are not very busy yet and just starting out then a % split is prob the best way for you. You could try and negotiate a 30/70 for first few months but depends how much they want or need you. Salon overheads are extremely high so they aren't gonna let you use their space for nothing when they have to pay a lot out themselves to use it!

I think prices depends where in uk you are located as they do vary. As a rule you should be able to pay your rent with approx 1-2 hrs work then the rest of the day takings would cover your stock overheads and wage. If you are not very busy yet and just starting out then a % split is prob the best way for you. You could try and negotiate a 30/70 for first few months but depends how much they want or need you. Salon overheads are extremely high so they aren't gonna let you use their space for nothing when they have to pay a lot out themselves to use it!
Thankyou for your opinion! Yeah I thought a split basis would be better as I don't want to rent a chair for a full day if I only have a few bookings, my media makeup tutor thinks I should UP my rate but as I'm only just starting out freelancing I thought I should keep it as it is for the moment. Thankyou anyway you've been a massive help x

Latest posts

Back