Renting trouble.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetty

Lost and happy geek!
Reaction score
I just need to share this with you all as I'm in a real knot over it....

You may remember I posted about a month ago about a renting opportunity at my local hairdressers..... In a nutshell, I was taking over a book of 30-40 clients, could keep my mobile clients as well and the rent was £100 per week.

I started there on Monday 8th August (so this is the third week) and so far the salon have provided 2 clients..... Now the landlady wants to see me 'about rent money'.

There is no way I'm paying her £300 when I've earned £58!!! I'm going to ask her what she thinks is reasonable based on 2 clients in over 2 weeks, but she seems pretty hard-nosed and I reckon she will ask the full whack. If she is open to discussion I will offer £20 for every day I've had a salon client - that would still mean I give her £40 of the £58 I've taken.....

I'm really worked up over this, and what is more of a shame is this is what I thought would help bridge the financial gap I have at the moment (post last week refers!!) - I really thought this would increase my client base, but the salon don't have record cards so I can't write to the clients and I think the leaving tech has been passing out her home number.....

I've left a message for the salon owner to ring me, so I'll keep you all posted.... In the meantime, I'm seeking comfort in food (a bacon sarnie and 2 kit kats so far!!!)

So basically these 30-40 clients were a figment of someones imagination?....because to me a client doesn't exist unless there is a client record card!.......(required for Insurance purposes after all!!)
You should have been given these cards or a full list of them in order to send out a flyer introducing yourself and your services......I know you haven't got anything in writing as regards your agreement with this manageress (but then neither does she!) but if none of these clients materialized then she is in breach of your original agreement and if I were you I would tell her so.
Try and be calm and professional about it....but stand your ground.... you were grossly mislead and cannot be expected to pay for that.
Also why has she left it for 3 weeks before speaking to you?.......My rent was paid every Friday night no quibble and never missed.

Thanks Isabel, all the things you said are things that my husband & I have talked about! More than anything I'm disappointed - I had really high hopes for this.... I don't think I'm angry (yet) just nervous aout the conversation....

I don't know why she has left it til now to speak to me about rent - maybe she just expected a cheque every week!!!

If you have your own stuff in there i would be prepered to get it out of there quick before she takes it off of you in leau of rent. Doesnt sound like she will be very reasonable, but wether you have ahd the clients coming in or not an agreed rent is an agreed rent, although i do agree that you should ahve been given teh client list or it doesnt exist, when you discovered this you should ahve renegotiated with her.

Hope that im not being a cynical old witch and it does all work out for you hun, let us know how it goes.

No wonder you had high hopes for this, you were given those hopes by this landlady.....30-40 clients, no-one would have turned that down...but now I am afraid you are more worldly wise and would check that there were records available to confirm this...I wish there more that could be said to support you, but self employment is very difficult at times but it is all a learning experience so use the lessons you have learned here to protect yourself in your future ventures.
If I were you I would write down all your points and things you want to say, because in these nervous situations it is very easy to forget something...and checking your notes gives you a few seconds to calm your nerves if you start to get flustered.
Good Luck.

Well, I spoke to the landlady and played a bit dumb!! She asked me for 2 weeks full rent (£200) and I told her I thought that was unreasonable considering she had provided me with 2 clients.....

Basically she wants her rent every week, so we have agreed to part company. I pointed out that she had estimated 30-40 clients and hadn't provided them and for me to continue paying rent and not earning from it is financial suicide.

She was ok about it, but does want her money - I guess I pay her and learn from the experience. She has said she will keep my price lists in the hairdressers so I may pick up some more clients from her.....

Thanks for the advice, I am disappointed it didn't work out, but glad it's resolved. Anyone want some brand new Ikea furniture??!!

Onward and upward!

Under NO circomstances should you pay her. You had a verbal contract and she didn't not provide her 30/40 clients..!

Pay her for the days you were there but she broke her end of the contract not you.

What is it with people today..! Good luck hun x

Vetty said:
She was ok about it, but does want her money

And you want the 30-40 clients she promised you - so your both going to disappointed aren't you!

Don't pay her the full amount - pay her 7% of what she 'expects' to get. That's based on 2 clients being 6.6% of the 30 she promised you. If you give her the money you're setting up some other poor sucker who will get conned by her too because she'll do the same thing again.

Vetty said:
Anyone want some brand new Ikea furniture??!!

Flat pack it back down, you'll need it for your next opportunity (think positive!)

Trin
xx

Oh my goodness!

That is simply not on, her wanting "her" money, you wanted your money with the 30-40 clients she promised you, you mustnt pay her £200. Like Trin said pay her 6.6% and be done with it. Give her the percentage and walk off smartish! You live and you learn.

GEt your stuff out first send the ol man in to pick it up thn go and sort out the money side with her.

don't worry about leaving your leaflets with her she is going to be bad mouthing you when you leave and you don't need that, put them in the local gym instead and get up th school gate when the kids go back.

Wishing you luck
x

Hmmmm.... now I know you are both right - £200 would be daylight robbery..... But, here's the rub - I don't want the confrontation..... She is hard-nosed, and the wimpi-ish part of me says cut your losses and walk away.... The brave and sensible part says only pay £40 (£20 per day for the 2 days I had salon clients)...

Also, if I leave on good terms I will be able to leave my price lists on the salon reception desk..... But, is that worth it?

I need to sort this tomorrow and clear my room.

Kimmi or Sassy, can you come and tell her what's what??!!!

Ok, I would offer her the £20 per day, £40 in total, as you actually worked at a loss, and there is no way in the whole world that the bill for lightening/rates/renting the space would come to any more than that for 2 days. You have to be strong, and not let people like this woman walk over you. Stand up for your self, and be professional but to the point about it. Thats what you are offering her, she can take it or leave it. Would you really want your leaflets left there anyway? Im not sure i would. Good luck with it all.

Right geeks, I have decided to pay her £100 (technically I owe her £300 because she works on a week's notice). I've written her a letter explaining why I'm not paying her any more and will give it to her with her keys later on (after I've cleared my room).

I know I should stand my ground and pay less, but I'm a bit chicken!! This way, I feel I have retained some control and not been totally ripped off.

Thanks for the advice/support, I appreciate it.....

Vetty said:
Right geeks, I have decided to pay her £100 (technically I owe her £300 because she works on a week's notice). I've written her a letter explaining why I'm not paying her any more and will give it to her with her keys later on (after I've cleared my room).

I know I should stand my ground and pay less, but I'm a bit chicken!! This way, I feel I have retained some control and not been totally ripped off.

Thanks for the advice/support, I appreciate it.....

Good for you...I think I would do the same....isn't life really all about compromise?......This way you are walking away with your head held high you have paid her more than she was due, but you don't feel ripped off....hope it all goes well for you when you clear your stuff out....I have been there a couple of times!!..........SO ONWARD AND UPWARD!!

Well done Vetty, you get your stuff in one piece back she gets some money and you don't feel like you ahve ripped her off although same cant be said about her.

Well done love.
x

If you feel more comfortable paying her the £100 then go for it - like Izzy says, better to walk away with your head held high and know you are being the better person.

Good lessons learned for next time babe :hug:

Let us know how you get on

Trin
xx

Vetty said:
Kimmi or Sassy, can you come and tell her what's what??!!!

LMAO I've got the knuckle dusters on !! Actually Kimmi you can go first cos I am really a wimp in this sort of situation - great at giving the advice, but should listen to some of it myself!!

I think you have done the right thing, having your own conscience clear is the most important thing in my book. It's a lesson learned the hard way, but you'll be much wiser next time around. You hear so often these salons that rent out space promising the earth and then none of it materialising, I had similar happen to me too.

Well done Yvette!

You've been more than fair, you haven't buckled under pressure and you've done what you're comfortable with. Not everyone can do the confrontation bit.

No one can find fault with what you have done and your concience is clear.

If nothing else, it's a good learning experience, and we've all been there :confused:

Hey Yvette,

I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you. I really admire you for being strong and knowing when to get out.

AND thank you for sharing your experience with us. We can all learn from this. I know I will ask for client record cards in future if I ever find myself in a similar situation.

Good luck with the future. I'm sure something good will come to you soon.

Best wishes,

Karen
x

Yvette I have just read this thread through ... Well done hun :hug: You have handled it with dignity and can walk away from this experience with your head held high. I had a similar experience and it makes you ill until you get it sorted once and for all.

Good luck with your future and I hope that something turns up for you :)

Jo xx

Latest posts

Back