Retail Soak off kit? yes or no

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainbow Bright

Reaction score
If you know that a first time client is having a one off appointment for a special occasion (does not have her nails done and has never heard of gel or shellac etc), and you suspect that she is not going to want to pay for you to come out and remove it in a few weeks (I'm mobile), would you

a) not be bothered and think that if she wants to peel it off then its her fault for not listening about the damage that can cause, or

b) try and sell her a kit with remover etc and detailed instructions on how to remove it herself safely without damaging her nails?

Obviously I will try to get her to book in for a removal, and I know that retailing soak off kits is not the best thing to do as you want the clients to come back to you. But then if she refuses to book a removal I also don't want her to damage her nails, and get a bad impression of products like Shellac or Gel.

From a purely selfish point of view, by the time I travel to her (she's a bit out of the area that I cover) and do the removal I'd be practically doing it for free. So the soak off kit would be more profitable for me. But from a moral point of view I'd prefer to go and do it to make sure its done properly.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments. What would you do?:| Do any of your retail soak off kits?

thanks

I sell them yes :))

No i dont. Shellac is an entire service, PEP, application and removal.
Whats the point of training if you sell removal kits? You may as well sell diy shellac application and do yourself out of business. Not to mention the fact that the client may damage their nails removing it incorrectly as the have no knowledge of the product on their nails.
I cost it into the price of Shellac service so i dont have to charge for removal. Saves confusion for myself and clients. I charge £25 for shellac colour, that includes removal and it covers reshellac and one off customers without putting them off!!
Hope this helps
hazel xx

She could always grow it out and use a normal polish to cover her nails while it is growing out? Thats if she really is against your advice of proper removal.
Xx

Interesting thread.

I agree with what pocketdragon says but there are some clients that will still pick them off, despite the offer of free removal because they can't be bothered to make the appointment.

Plus I can't see any client painting over them until they grow out, what if they wanted a lighter shade of lacquer?

Moral dilemma, sell them a kit or have them pick the gels off then slag off the product for ruining their nails? (my own Sister did that despite the fact that I see her all the time and told her I would take them off at any time for free - b****!)

I don't know what I would do but I will watch this thread with interest.

x

I think it is definately preferable to sell a removal kit than for people to pick it off. It is a very simple procedure (compared to applying it!) and with some simple instructions I cannot see why anyone could not remove it themselves successfully.

xx

SweetSquared sell individual packs of 10 remover wraps and an orange stick.

It makes it a little easier to retail it in these instances, or as you have suggested you could retail her your own made-up removal pack.

I have one 'removal only' price in my salon whether it is for BioSculpture, Shellac or Minx and that price includes a tidy up of cuticles and nails and solar oil massaged into them to finish.

Your client has a choice and she has the information required to remove the product safely.

Jacqui xx

I charge £25 for shellac colour, that includes removal and it covers reshellac and one off customers without putting them off!!
Hope this helps
hazel xx

25 for shellac, soak off, and reshellac? X

To OP - I charge for removal but if they book a reshellac i remove it for free!

If only for a one off id definitely sell them the removal pack as u say u dont want them to remove it by picking then have a bad impression of shellac as a service! CND sell individual packs for you to retail so definitely do it! :) However if it was gel enhancements....not sure id tell them to do it themselves as clients are impatient and wont wait the correct time etc then just pick anyway and cause damage.... I would encourage them to come back and pay for removal and offer them a free pinkie solar oil or something to entice them! Lol! If def not id tell them step by step how to do it....i HATE when clients say that enhancements ruined their nails yet they then go on to say they wedged them off !

Its a hard one....

Em x

x

I do the same but still get a few clients that have picked them off before their next appointment. Perhaps impatient or just natural born pickers?

I think I'll make up removal kits.

X

The client is having Shellac btw. I do include removal in the price when a re-application is done. But I'm not going to go 12 miles to this woman's house to remove it for free! And neither would I remove someone else work on a new client for free, that's why I have a price for removal only.

I think most of you got the gist of what I was asking - thanks for your comments.
I think I will do my best to convince her to have them removed properly, and if that fails I'll try her with the soak off kit.
thanks

I use Gelicure not Shellac, but the same procedure to soak off. I include instructions on how to soak off using acetone/cotton wool/foil/OWS on my aftercare sheet. Most people have it soaked off by me as they are having it redone but sometimes a client leaves it 3/4 weeks and don't book an appt so I think at least they can remove it properly themselves without picking.

If only for a one off id definitely sell them the removal pack as u say u dont want them to remove it by picking then have a bad impression of shellac as a service! CND sell individual packs for you to retail so definitely do it! :) However if it was gel enhancements....not sure id tell them to do it themselves as clients are impatient and wont wait the correct time etc then just pick anyway and cause damage.... I would encourage them to come back and pay for removal and offer them a free pinkie solar oil or something to entice them! Lol! If def not id tell them step by step how to do it....i HATE when clients say that enhancements ruined their nails yet they then go on to say they wedged them off !

Its a hard one....
Em x

Oh no!! Worded that wrong!! I meant £25 for shellac ~ removal is costed in that price which means i dont need to have a removal charge for one off shellac customers or re shellac customers!! Removal is covered in the price. Id be silly to charge £25 for shellac, removal and reshellac!!!
Had to read it twice myself to work out wat i meant!! Haha! Xx

Oh no!! Worded that wrong!! I meant £25 for shellac ~ removal is costed in that price which means i dont need to have a removal charge for one off shellac customers or re shellac customers!! Removal is covered in the price. Id be silly to charge £25 for shellac, removal and reshellac!!!
Had to read it twice myself to work out wat i meant!! Haha! Xx

Hahahaha! Oh bless you, i was panicking thinking omg am i missing something!

That sounds good maybe i should increase my prices and include removal rather than separate them....hmmm food for thought!

I see where you're coming from....I'm mobile too, so to go back (especially 12 miles) you will be practically working for free - unless you happen to be in the area. To be honest I think I would explain how to remove it, or say you could come back to remove at whatever price (up it a little to cover for the extra mileage), or sell her the kit. Give her all the options and she can decide for herself.

I agree that Shellac should be removed professional. The reality is, clients are removing it themselves THE WRONG WAY and potentially damaging their nails. They're peeling it off.

Even though I know they should be coming to see me to remove their Shellac, I know many of them aren't going to do that so why not take advantage of a retail opportunity as well as help them preserve the condition of their nails? We sell the DIY removal packs. They retail nicely. We sell them for $8.

We tell the clients that they may purchase the DIY remover packs for $8 and remove their Shellac themselves conveniently at home OR they can come back to us and enjoy a relaxing, enjoyable experience for $2 more and we will remove their Shellac for them.

We're also finding that clients are buying the DIY remover packs as backups in the event they need to remove their Shellac before they can get back in to see us rather just as a cost saving measure.

What would you include in the home removal kits? Would you purchase smaller 'travel size' bottles to use? Is it wise to make a small profit on these or just cover your costs?

i work in a salon and i charge £8 for removal whether they are having re-application or not, but i do use the cnd shellac removal wraps and d.solve rather than cotton n foil method

i also retail removal packs for £12 which includes a pack of 10 shellac removal wraps a 250ml bottle of d.solve and a pinki solar oil.
as the solar oil retails at £3.95 alone, they are paying the same price either way as i always encourage clients to buy the solar oil.

their advantage to the home removal pack is they can do it imediatly if they damage it in any way and not have to wait for a appointment, plus the d.solve lasts for ages and on the next visit they just buy a packet of shellac removal wraps for £4.75 (i cant find an rrp so decided on my own price)

my advantage is they come in ready for re-application so saves me 15/20 mins per appointment and with the first appointment i make more profit on the retail kit than i would adding removal to their repeat appointments
x

Latest posts

Back