Reverse Application...Have you seen it yet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy

Reaction score
Has anyone else out there tried the new "reverse application" yet?

Saw it at the GMEX show and have been working on it ever since.
A little strange getting used to it, but what a difference its made. Both to applications and backfill/infills

My time is quicker and the smile line is so much sharper and deeper....V.Impressed!

How come this has never been thought of before?
Or if it has, how come Ive never heard or seen it...its wicked

Pleeese tell me someone else out there has seen it / tried it.

come on then spilll the beans!!!!!!!!!!

What is 'reverse application'. Tell us more.

I'm sat here wondering if it's a case of scrubfreshing after you've buffed to a high shine pmsl :D
...only kidding, what's it all about then? (please :) )

Come on Frenchy.................I'm dying to know how to do this. xxx

Looking forward to reading the answer to this post all I can think of is zone3, 2, then 1 the smile line but then who am I to know also I might have made myself look really silly LOL!!!!:)

Caz xxx

I assume she means applying zone 3 then zone 2 then zone 1?????? I have heard of this but was told its not a good way of doing it?? x x x

Well what I thought was a reverse application is when you do zones 2 &3 but create the smile in the pink, then when you apply zone 1 you just butt your white/ glitter etc up to the pink.
This technique is often used when your extending your nail bed.

I want you guys to sleep tonight and Id love to know if you’ll give it a go and let me know what you think. Beginning to think I just imagined it all.
Lets see now….bear with me and Ill try to explain.
I guess this only works with sculpts by the way

*First you prep the nail as normal and apply just one bead of acrylic to the nail bed.

*Push out and smooth your product out towards the free edge.

*Then while the acrylic is still soft and movable use your brush to shape in the smile line!
Also ensure that you apply a little extra product around the stress area

*THEN you fit the nail form and sculpt the tip, pushing the product flush up against the smile line that you have already created with your brush.

*File into shape and hey presto.

*Backfill/Fills work the same way. At first I had a problem with ensuring there was enough strength around the stress area, but after a little practice you kinda get the hang of it

Ive mainly found it to be more beneficial with the nail art side of things. Especially glitter tips. Before I had two Dappen dishes of monomer so as not to contaminate the overlay with any glitter from the tip.
This way by applying product to the nail bed first it wont have bits of glitter in it

DID ANYONE ELSE SEE IT?
I cant believe there isn’t someone who hasn’t, as I was totally enthralled and spent about 3 hours watching all the Young Nails crew doing it.
They all said that now they rarely ever apply the free edge/tip first and have encorporated it into their own salons and training courses

Oh ok I was wrong as I thought but I will read through this loads of times to see if I understand it LOL!!!!! Sounds intresting.

Caz xxx :biggrin:

frenchy said:
I want you guys to sleep tonight and Id love to know if you’ll give it a go and let me know what you think. Beginning to think I just imagined it all.
Lets see now….bear with me and Ill try to explain.

*First you prep the nail as normal and apply just one bead of acrylic to the nail bed.

*Push out and smooth your product out towards the free edge.

*Then while the acrylic is still soft and movable use your brush to shape in the smile line!
Also ensure that you apply a little extra product around the stress area

*THEN you fit the nail form and sculpt the tip, pushing the product flush up against the smile line that you have already created with your brush.

*File into shape and hey presto.

*Backfill/Fills work the same way. At first I had a problem with ensuring there was enough strength around the stress area, but after a little practice you kinda get the hang of it

Ive mainly found it to be more beneficial with the nail art side of things. Especially glitter tips. Before I had two Dappen dishes of monomer so as not to contaminate the overlay with any glitter from the tip.
This way by applying product to the nail bed first it wont have bits of glitter in it

DID ANYONE ELSE SEE IT?
I cant believe there isn’t someone who hasn’t, as I was totally enthralled and spent about 3 hours watching all the Young Nails crew doing it.
They all said that now they rarely ever apply the free edge/tip first and have encorporated it into their own salons and training courses

yeah, but YOU were right caz, what im wondering is how sharp can you get your smiles?????

No, you were nearly there caz, it's self explanitory really.
(It just took me a while to type it all out and get back to you)
I started to try it out the moment I got back in the salon - first on an infill and later on a full set.
I guess only time will tell, but so far Ive had no negative feedback, had to explain to my regulars that I was trying something new out though (they looked a little worried at first) lol
Have just been training a new girl in the salon and I have to say that Im pretty sure she'll be up to speed by Christmas if this technique works out ok

As for the crisp smile line.....definately. Try it and see for yourself, that's all I can say. It does take a little getting used to coz it sort of turns everything around...
but applying just one bead of pink - pushing out to the cuticle and pulling up towards the free edge makes a whole lot of sense dont you think?

I was watching Greg from Young Nails do this at the Pro Beauty show in Dublin earlier this month, had seen him doing this at the last show too so wanted to get a good view of it this time. Must admit, he does great nails and I was really peeved that I didn't get one of his demo nails. I keep meaning to try it on myself but I'm on a 3 month waxing course right now and can't wear enahncements of any kind. He did make it look so easy though. Young Nails have a video out so maybe the 'reverse application' is on one of them.

Jackie
Librty Nail Design

christie at www.christiesnails.com uses the reverse method. all of her smiles are crispy. i tried it a couple of times, but never got the hang of it. i just couldn't get my stress point spot on. but my smiles were gorgeous!:biggrin:

This is the way Crative teach to do Brisa, I just thought it was long winded from what I was used to. but hey maybe I'll give it a go because my smile lines sure do need improving! I can't see how you would apply a tip after you have applied your product in zone 2 though, or am I misreading?

frenchy said:

I think it would be best with sculpts.........still not convinced...I have tried this before to elongate a nail bed along with the usual way of applying zone 1 further up the form...and I felt my usual way was better for my smiles and my apex placement......but these things are always worth a try.......you sound totally enthused Frenchy!!!!

Hi Sassy, I think that you can only sculpt, so you can't apply a tip (boy am I nervous replying to you!!!!) all of you Geek's know so much more than Newbie me :o . So hope I haven't got this wrong.

Can someone let me know what the stress area is????

rjryan said:
Hi Sassy, I think that you can only sculpt, so you can't apply a tip (boy am I nervous replying to you!!!!) all of you Geek's know so much more than Newbie me :o . So hope I haven't got this wrong.

Can someone let me know what the stress area is????

Oh bless! Honestly I still have a lot to learn in this game and often still feel a novice, I'm just not afraid of jumping in with both feet and saying what I feel, if I get it wrong someone corrects me and then I learn more. We all have something to give to the site, that's what it's here for, to share techniques, just like Frenchy has done here. It may work for some and transform their technique, and others may prefer their old ways.

I learn new stuff on here everyday and so will you hun, just keep reading and joining in and learning.

And you were right this metod is for sculpting, but then if you applied the tip first couldn't you still use this method?

edit: Oops sorry forgot your Q about the stress area. If you push down on your natural nail there is an area that will go white. This is your stress area, the weakest part of the nail. This is where you should build your c-curve or apex for maximum strength. HTH

Thanks for that.

If someone had told me how training to do nails would drive you mad and test your confidence at every turn would I have ever started??? YES, its hard hard work, but I am hooked.

Thanks again Sassy

This technique is certainly not new.

Competitors have been sculpting back to a filed in free edge for years and as Sassy says, Creative have been teaching with this method for Brisa since day one. it is a very cool way to get a really sharp smile line when using gel.

You can use this technique also perfectly well with a tip. You simply apply the tip as normal and then apply zones 2 and 3 creating the smile line with the pink then add the white and push up to the smile.

I think if you can't get sharp smiles using the ordinary method then this is another way ... but is not as quick or efficient as a 1,2 3 application in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back