Running geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendywoo

Reaction score
Good evening fellow geeks. Just wondering if any of you are runners, joggers, run/walkers. I did my third half marathon yesterday. I'm getting some kind of sadistic buzz from knowing that the stiffness and my inability to sit without holding onto something is to do with what I achieved yesterday. No what i mean?!:eek:

I try to do a 10k every year, the first one I did was in Leeds and was just for fun, last year was in Sheffield and raised almost £350 for Lupus UK and this year it's in Harrogate in August and we're running for McMillan charity. I'm not a runner and by no means have an athletic body, but on the day, it's fun

Ah well done for raising the money for charity. I've done Race for life a couple of times, which has been enormous fun. Might stick to 10ks now though. Do you train for the 10ks? :D

I'm doing my first 10k in May. Really looking forward to it but dreading it at the same time! Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I'm doing my first 10k in May. Really looking forward to it but dreading it at the same time! Xxx

Oooo good luck with that. I still work in miles. So I break the mileage into 3 then add on a bit. It's a psychological thing 😃
It's such an exhilarating feeling when you've achieved something you didn't think you were capable of!! You'll be buzzing after. ...... Then you'll have a PB you'll have to beat. 😉x

I only started running six weeks ago and i'm upto 10mins without a break (after nearly passing our after 1min on.my first run!) got another 10 weeks til 10k so hopefully enough time to get me up to speed with things xxx

Well walk/ run training is the best thing. It'll build you slowly and at least that way you'll be less prone to injury. My first ever run was like that, in fact I lost both my big toe nails because I wasn't wearing the right trainers. 😒keep at it, you'll love the feeling at the end of it. Keep me posted I'd love to hear how you get on. 😄

wendywoo - good on you girl thats fabulous!

on my 3rd week of running, 30 mins before breakfast 6 days a week, at the start it was a fast walk now run at intervals would say id be in the 5-10 mins solid running bracket love it pushing myself every day

you mentioned trainers - what should i look for in running trainers? any recommendations?

Blimey loveleelady that's commitment. I'm super duper impressed with that. Thank you too.
With regards shoes I went to a local running shop and they assessed my gait and how I run(pronate/ over pronate) as to what type of shoes suit me. There are so many types and brands. What suits one won't necessarily suit another. What I would say its worth spending a reasonable amount of money on them as they after all are your shock absorber to the Tarmac. I've spent about £70 on trainers but you can spend a lot more. I would really recommend getting fitted out properly for sure. :0) x

I finished Couch to 5K in December and have signed up for the Race for Life 5k in June.

Only I have injured my hip!! So I'm laying off the running for a bit in the hope that I can start training again next month so I'll be ready. If it doesn't heal up though I guess I'll be walking the R4L! :(

I try to run, but being totally honest I look like a fat idiot lol my arse wobbles so bad... i can feel it so im pretty sure people can see it. I try to go when it's dark though so no one can see me
;-)

I smoke aswell so i get puffed out really quick. I come home bright red (I mean beetroot red!) I don't sweat though :confused: which I find weird as I really do go for it lol

suppose you can't blame a girl for trying lol xx

Personal best tonight! 22.5mins solid no breaks! So chuffed with myself. Is it just me or does anyone find it hell of alot easier when its battering it down with rain when you're running? Xxx

Personal best tonight! 22.5mins solid no breaks! So chuffed with myself. Is it just me or does anyone find it hell of alot easier when its battering it down with rain when you're running? Xxx

Oh yeah you get home quicker. It's exhilarating running in the rain. Only of course if you got some kind of waterproof on. Well done for the PB!! Brill :0)

Blimey loveleelady that's commitment. I'm super duper impressed with that. Thank you too.
With regards shoes I went to a local running shop and they assessed my gait and how I run(pronate/ over pronate) as to what type of shoes suit me. There are so many types and brands. What suits one won't necessarily suit another. What I would say its worth spending a reasonable amount of money on them as they after all are your shock absorber to the Tarmac. I've spent about £70 on trainers but you can spend a lot more. I would really recommend getting fitted out properly for sure. :0) x

yeh im a psycho for routine lmao i do either pump or kickboxing in evenings 6 days a week but decided last nite to change that to evening 30 min run as well so will be an hour a day ill be a friggin machine lol

thanks wendy ill go get them assess me and get my feet all gussied up... imagine if we like some day all got fit and had a big massive salon geek run? we'd be like the most glamorus runners ever!!!

I try to run, but being totally honest I look like a fat idiot lol my arse wobbles so bad... i can feel it so im pretty sure people can see it. I try to go when it's dark though so no one can see me
;-)

I smoke aswell so i get puffed out really quick. I come home bright red (I mean beetroot red!) I don't sweat though :confused: which I find weird as I really do go for it lol

suppose you can't blame a girl for trying lol xx
I go soooo red and sweaty when I run, it's not pretty heheh.

If you're not following a programme, maybe try Couch 2 5k? I used to be SO out of breath just running for a minute, by the end of it I was running for 40 mins and the first 20 were flying by! I won't say I could do 40 mins easily because I don't think I'll ever find running easy, but I can do more than I ever thought I would be able to. Well I could, once this pesky hip clears up, hopefully I'll be back up there. :)

You'd be surprised Salj and Lush lash. Sometimes running with someone else spurs you on too. It takes time, it's taken me nearly four years to get to a half marathon point. But thats okay, slow and steady wins the race. Having three boys sometimes requires a little me time. Running gives me that and it's for free. Bonus!! ;0))

Ah well done for raising the money for charity. I've done Race for life a couple of times, which has been enormous fun. Might stick to 10ks now though. Do you train for the 10ks? :D

I only train for about 3 months before the event, but it is good fun. One tip though, do not train for a 10k run on a treadmill, it doesn't build up the muscle needed for running because the machine does it for you, you have to run outside to train, although the treadmill does build up stamina. X

For those with iPhones have you tried the imap my run app, it's a great free tool for keeping track of your running achievements and there is my fitness pal which is also free, it's like the weight watchers calorie counter for those who want to loose a few pounds too. X

For those with iPhones have you tried the imap my run app, it's a great free tool for keeping track of your running achievements and there is my fitness pal which is also free, it's like the weight watchers calorie counter for those who want to loose a few pounds too. X
I have it on my phone but haven't used it yet as up til now I've mostly run on the treadmill. I want to start running outside though.

I have Myfitnesspal for calorie counting on my phone, which I love! I love that you can scan barcodes of stuff you're eating to enter the calories. Brilliant.

Yeah totally agree about the "dreadmill" I've used Endomomdo and Runmetre on Iphone. Both equally good. i think also there is a free version then another version you have to pay a couple of quid for.
I much prefer to go on tarmac now, now that I got my bashfullness out of my system. I realise now that not every car driver isn't looking at my behind as they go past. (Just because I do) Unless I'm wearing my blue hearted knickyknackynoos under my stretch running Lycra. Oops!!:lol:

Latest posts

Back