Salon name, pop culture influence!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SassyStevie

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to open my own salon in the next 12 months, & am currently doing up a business plan so I can apply for financial assistance for the start-up costs of a business etc...

I'd really like to decide on a name so I can register it, & start looking at marketing & all that jazz, & be able to present it with my business plan so they can see how committed I am.

I want something to reflect who I am, & in brief, I can say this of myself;

I'm 25, dramatic, & fashion OTT. I like bright colours & standing out from the crowd, hence my 'drag queen' look when I go out on the town. I live for pop culture, love erotic art, cultured literature, & plan on opening my salon in a highly LGBT populated area (I'm a lesbian myself) so would have a lot of male clientèle that drag, & a lot of female clientèle that (I hate to stereotype but it's true) are into the same sort of stuff, bold looks, intense haircuts, risqué body art & kind of a 'screw you' attitude.

Now I'm aware this probably sounds entirely different to your average beauty spa, & that's perfect, I want to stand out. I plan on having a simple black and white theme, with pop art elements, so huge bright canvases on the walls, bright accents on furniture, modern pop culture influential figures in frames.

I intend on having a nail tech who does incredible nail art, a barber for all the lads & ladettes that love intricate 'tracks' in their hair, a hair stylist that is amazing with unusual colours & hairdos, & of course beauty therapists who will take care of everything else.

We'll pretty much be a salon that welcomes everyone, but will predominantly have LGBT clientèle because of the area & services on offer. One of those niche little back ally places you find around Sydney & Melbourne in Australia, LA in the US, London & Glasgow in the UK - though the extent of pop culture influences in these places is probably not that well known unless you're active in the community ;)

Anyhow, back to the name, I want something pretty blunt, preferably just a single word, or two words. The bi-line will of course be "Beauty & Health Parlour" or something along those lines. But in big print, I just need something that people into the same culture are going to go "Oh, that sounds like a cool place" & know they'll be welcome.

A few words/combinations that I've come up with so far, based on their definition and what is has to do with modern pop culture and beauty/hair are as follows;

POP (Pretty obvious, it's like HELLO here I am, being thrown at you).
MOD POP (Short for Modern Pop Culture, & Mod is a 'style' also).
BOLD (Because, well, we're all pretty bold, & that's why we're here).
DASH (Kind of along the lines of dashing, but also means quick, or a little bit).
SASS (This is the current name of my at home business, but I'm over it).

Ok... I know there are a few more but I've had a complete mind blank.

Anyway, can anybody make any suggestions for what else might be good? And please please please tell me which of the ones of listed you prefer.

Thanks a million!

Xxo

I like pop and bold because they both stand out and are easy to remember. Why not speak to a few people in your target audience and see what they like. What about EDGE? I love the idea btw sounds nice and original :) good luck xx

Love the idea of your salon! I am hopeless with names though. How about the pop art type superhero speech bubbles, like Pow?

To be pop is a bit too much like cheesey pop music which I imagine isnt what you'd play.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Now how on earth did I miss that one... Edge... lol :) Actually it fits, we're trying to give people with an edgy appearance a place to come and get what they need without being judged or feeling uncomfortable being tended to by 'barbies'.

When I composed the list, I was leaning more toward BOLD, as people interested in our services will be pretty bold with what they want and how they look. It's kind of, making a statement.

Pop Art sounds cool, but I wouldn't want to mislead anyone, thinking it was a gallery, lol :)

Thanks for the support guys! I love that you all think the style of salon is a great idea :) I was hoping others in the industry wouldn't find it strange. I guess though, in the end, we all target a specific audience, don't we? I myself can't stand walking into swanky upper class day spas because I feel very misplaced, lol :) Hence why I'm into the idea of creating something for me, and others like me!

To be pop is a bit too much like cheesey pop music which I imagine isnt what you'd play.

Oh of course not, haha! Indie rock, house, and alt pop strictly. No Britney over here! ;)

"Diva"
Or is that a cliche?

I have a friend who was going to open a salon with the same target audience. He was going to call it "Twisted Sisters"
On the "scene" here everyone calls everyone sister and he said everyone (as in literally everyone) is a bit twisted.
He ended up moving to gran can instead and doing hair over there. X

Sent from the catphone

OMG or OTT lol

I like BOLD too x

Bold makes me think of washing powder :I

I think edge is the best so far.

I would love the idea but know that I was nowhere near cool enough to go in lol x

I like egde too. It easier to grasp the theme and culture you've created for your salon. I like pop too, but nobody is going to realize it comes from modern pop culture until you tell them.

Edge is cool I like POW check out wah nails in top shop They are bit funky like that

Watch with DASH as that's what the kardashians shops are called, you may run into bother with it!

Flash
Shout
Dare
Charge
Bangs

😄 I kinda like BANGS for some reason... Lol! Edge is good too.

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to open my own salon in the next 12 months, & am currently doing up a business plan so I can apply for financial assistance for the start-up costs of a business etc...

I'd really like to decide on a name so I can register it, & start looking at marketing & all that jazz, & be able to present it with my business plan so they can see how committed I am.

I want something to reflect who I am, & in brief, I can say this of myself;

I'm 25, dramatic, & fashion OTT. I like bright colours & standing out from the crowd, hence my 'drag queen' look when I go out on the town. I live for pop culture, love erotic art, cultured literature, & plan on opening my salon in a highly LGBT populated area (I'm a lesbian myself) so would have a lot of male clientèle that drag, & a lot of female clientèle that (I hate to stereotype but it's true) are into the same sort of stuff, bold looks, intense haircuts, risqué body art & kind of a 'screw you' attitude.

Now I'm aware this probably sounds entirely different to your average beauty spa, & that's perfect, I want to stand out. I plan on having a simple black and white theme, with pop art elements, so huge bright canvases on the walls, bright accents on furniture, modern pop culture influential figures in frames.

I intend on having a nail tech who does incredible nail art, a barber for all the lads & ladettes that love intricate 'tracks' in their hair, a hair stylist that is amazing with unusual colours & hairdos, & of course beauty therapists who will take care of everything else.

We'll pretty much be a salon that welcomes everyone, but will predominantly have LGBT clientèle because of the area & services on offer. One of those niche little back ally places you find around Sydney & Melbourne in Australia, LA in the US, London & Glasgow in the UK - though the extent of pop culture influences in these places is probably not that well known unless you're active in the community ;)

Anyhow, back to the name, I want something pretty blunt, preferably just a single word, or two words. The bi-line will of course be "Beauty & Health Parlour" or something along those lines. But in big print, I just need something that people into the same culture are going to go "Oh, that sounds like a cool place" & know they'll be welcome.

A few words/combinations that I've come up with so far, based on their definition and what is has to do with modern pop culture and beauty/hair are as follows;

POP (Pretty obvious, it's like HELLO here I am, being thrown at you).
MOD POP (Short for Modern Pop Culture, & Mod is a 'style' also).
BOLD (Because, well, we're all pretty bold, & that's why we're here).
DASH (Kind of along the lines of dashing, but also means quick, or a little bit).
SASS (This is the current name of my at home business, but I'm over it).

Ok... I know there are a few more but I've had a complete mind blank.

Anyway, can anybody make any suggestions for what else might be good? And please please please tell me which of the ones of listed you prefer.

Thanks a million!

Xxo

How about Screw?

What about "Taunt"?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using SalonGeek mobile app

Blow

Latest posts

Back