Salon wants me to do a set in 1.5 hours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOE!

Reaction score
Hi geeks. Started my new job last week in a new salon and its going well. Before i started they knew i took 2 hours for a full set, and they was happy with that and i thought my time would come down naturally. But on saturday the head therapist who had just trained with nails this past few months with a lady has told me that this week i must do them in 1.5 hours. I told her i would not miss anything out. She said i took to long on prep. She is very experienced beauty therapist and can do nails now aswell. She takes 1 hour 15 mins. She told me i should be taking 3 mins to push all the cuticles back! The lady who owns the salon is a hairdresser who just works next door and although she is our boss this head therapist is in charge. I will not in any circumstances change the way i have been trained. I dont want a bad reputation! I feel i know more than this therapist and have tried to explain to her that i want to be a good nail tech. She wont be doing nails in the salon now only when i am very busy. There is also another tech there who works part time and she is aslo trained with creative four years ago. She works totally different from me and its clear she needs a refresher class. There was also a problem with timing that were on the price list. ! hour for infills and 45 mins for a rewhiten. I was amazed at this. So i mentioned that a rewhiten to me was nearly as long as full set. Anyway, i think this salon can do well but how do i get my timings down without missing anything out? I dont think i can do it!

I take 2 hours. The salon wants me to take 1.5 hours.HTMS.

I have every faith that you will get your timing down to 1.5 hours....I think it's a commercially viable timing and totally achievable without having to cut any corners......a bit more experience and several more clients will get you there.

Thank you Cathie. Its just she has booked the clients in for that time and i dont know if i will be able to do it. I know i will feel very under pressure.

i feel for you zoe, i hated working like this, but its amazing what you can do when your forced to. divide up all your stages into time intervals,wear a watch on the inside of your wrist so you can keep an eye on the time( without your client noticing). aim to be picking up your file somewhere around the hour mark for your shaping etc. keep talk to a minimum, head down and make those fingers fly.i just hope if a clients late your boss allows for you to be running late!
icon_evil.gif
you can do it,mate!

Oh dear, that's another kettle of fish, you haven't been working there that long, can't she book you 2 hours initially until you do get your time down...which you will? Is it totally non negotiable....surely she can see that the credibility of the salon may be jeopordised if she rushes you too much?

Good luck :hug:

Hi Zoecu when you do a set of nails what area do you seem to work on the most, or not confident about?

I think i could be quicker with smile lines. I am always trying to get them perfect. Then maybe finishing. They are not bumpy at all but i may not know when to stop at times.

zoeCU said:
I think i could be quicker with smile lines. I am always trying to get them perfect. Then maybe finishing. They are not bumpy at all but i may not know when to stop at times.

There you go, and your not the only one, we all go through, still are most of the time to strive for perfection. I may upset quite a few with this comment but perfection up to a point, is what is needed in competitions. You can work and work towards your idea of perfect but it always changes, you give yourself goals to win. Wanting to get to perfection is wonderfull makes you a better tech, but it also takes a lot more time.

With your whites trust yourself, and if the finishing is not bumpy at all then you are making more work for yourself by doing more finishing then needed.

Take care xx

I think your boss is being totally unreasonable. As you are fairly new to the game and to the salon she should allow you the 2 hours you neeedr in order to do the job right not fast! This will only leed to unhappy clients and a n unhappy you!!!

xxx

Thanks all for replying. It feels as though you lot are the only ones who understand what i mean. I went to work today and managed to be a little quicker. But im thinking of doing a 121 to sort stuff out. cheers.xx

maybe a 1-2-1 is just what you need to help tweak your times a little.
if your educator can watch you work they can help you do that.
you can do it Zoe :hug: xxx

Hi,

Its quite unfair for you to be forced to go faster as you are new to this salon. They should at least give you a couple of weeks, and then give you say 1hr 45min for a full set, gettin it down to 1hr 30mins. Rebalancing takes the same as a full set, so for me i do a full set in 1hr 15mins, the same timing for re-balancing, and for just an infill i take 50 mins. Here are my stages, with the amount of time i spend on each when rebalancing, roughly:

Filing/removing old product - 30mins
apply cuticle remover and remove non-living tissue - 10 mins
apply new white to smile line and in zones 2 and 3 - 20 mins
finishing and shaping - 10-15mins

Dont panic too much on your timing, just try to work continuously and dont stop to chat!
It took me about 4 months of working non-stop doing nails all day, to get my timing down. Good luck hunny. x

Only bit of advice i can give you which may help but only a little is when you talk to your clients talk to their nails not thier face, it will cut a few minutes off, also apply the cutcile remover and leave on while filing the nails down to size and pre tailor your tips so they dont ahve to be doen in there.

Hope it helps a little and very good luck hun we know you can do it.
x

To me, 2hrs to do a full set is excellent, i chat far too much and usually take about 2.30hrs. As i'm down stairs in the salon i work in (i rent a space) she assumes that i can take on the role of being a receptionist, so i'm alwayys getting interrupted.

When i orignally trained i wasn't given a break down on times we were to aim for, can anyone tell me how long i should realistically have to prep, apply, file down and finish. I uses creative L&P and recently converted to Brisa.

Would help me reduce my times if i knew what i should be working to.

i think 2 hours to do a full set it good, that is exactly how long it takes me to do a full set too. dont let your boss/manager make you feel rushed and under pressure because if you start to rush your nails and not spend enough time on them the quality might not be as good. you could maybe have a word with your manager telling her that u are feeling under pressure. i really hope you work this out hun
tara
x

scattyfox said:
Only bit of advice i can give you which may help but only a little is when you talk to your clients talk to their nails not their face, it will cut a few minutes off, also apply the cutcile remover and leave on while filing the nails down to size and pre tailor your tips so they dont ahve to be doen in there.

Hope it helps a little and very good luck hun we know you can do it.
x

Great advice from Scatty.....Since I started using Cuticle remover instead of aha cuticle eraser...I find my prep a bit faster as the cuticle remover does most of the work for me.....Of course we need to be meticulous in removing all the non living tissue from the nail plate and this is something that cannot be missed out......but it doesn't have to be a slow laborious task...

When I first started in a salon my time was 2 hours......but boy not for long!!

The Salon owner told us all we were entitled to a full hour for our lunch and told us to make sure we got it, even encouraging us to leave the shop for the hour so we wouldn't end up answering the phone etc....Great eh?....when we got our wages though we realized we were not getting paid for that hour a day though!!.....

We would all be fully booked with that hour marked off......but if you ran over your time ( 1hr 30 mins) for a set of nails into your lunch hour...that was just TOUGH!....it was your own fault for not working fast enough....
But I wouldn't have complained as the owner was also fully booked and worked harder than the rest of us.......

I love my food!!!......my time came down!....

The moral of my long winded story?.....Working under pressure is not always a bad thing!!.......you will be the one that gains in the long run Zoe as eventually you may be self employed and time is money.....!!

Sorry to hear she is pressuring you but your times will come down the more you do the less time it will take you as you do it automaticly
Yep I think most of the advise youve been given is excellent
I always pre-tailor my tips if Im using them and Im sorry to say that my conversation is limited to Oh and yes and no and mmmm.

So do'nt feel under pressure because thats when you make mistakes and leave things out have everything on your desk in the order that your using them and just do your best ( because at the end of the days its the client that pays your wages and not your boss no clients no money)

good luck and best wishes with the new job

catherine:smack:

Great advice here, thank you everyone. Isabel i am in exactly the same situatuation you once were. I dont get paid for my lunch hour and last week went right into it, leaving me with only 20 minutes to spare. So i guess maybe being under pressure will be good for me in some ways. I just dont want to feel i have made a rush job. I seem to be getting about 15 minutes quicker this week, so maybe it wont take long for me to get down to 1.5 hours. I just dont get the 45 minute rewhiten thing. Anyway thanks all.xxx

Hi
When I Trained At College They Told Us That A Set Should Take Us Up To 2 Hours 3/4 Preping The Nail And The Other For Tputting The Nais On And Etc.
Some Salons Don't Even Do This.
I Now Have Own Beauty Studio And I Work On My Own I Take Sometime 2hours And Other Times I Have Taken 11/2 Hours. I Think It Depends On The Client Nails And How Much Preping Of The Nail Needs Doing
Insette23vhf

Latest posts

Back