Sculpting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
Hi all. I really want to learn sculpting. I'd love to hear from anyone that does it, or has tried it, and how difficult or easy they find it.

What are the pro's and con's of sculpting?

Cheers me darlins xxx

I really like it!! I thought I'd find it really hard and fiddley but it's not!!

Looks brill when it's finished too and saves time and money on tips and adhesive etc!!!

Hey Kimmi
I've taught myself sculpting, and although I wouldn't claim to be great at it, it's not as hard as I thought. The hardest part for me is getting the shape of the free edge right, and I have been known to sculpt the basic shape, then remove the form, file into the right shape, and then continue to work as if working on a tip!! :o

Because I have been practising on a nail trainer I've been using those re-usable forms as I can't get the sticky forms to stay on the plastic, but my favourite sticky forms are the IBD forms or the Creative ones that come in the try me kit, they're pretty fab too.

I would say give it a bash and see how you get on, it's probably not as hard as you think it's going to be.

Hiya Sweetie....
I sculpt 99% of the time (with gel), here are the reasons why:

Completely bespoke nail - no pinching from plastic tips and a complete perfect fit to your natural nail

Strength - the strength of an enhancement is between the natural nail and the overlay, so when sculpting the entire nail is covered with product with no area of weakness where a tip would be

Durability - People such as hairdressers or cleaners who have their hands in water a lot fare better with sculpted nails as cyanoacrylate adhesive can eventually be broken down in water

Problem nails - biters, spoon nails, flat nails, ski jumps - problem nails can be easily worked on by sculpting

Speed - it is quicker to fit a set of forms than blend and shape a set of tips

Cost - 10 disposable forms cost considerably less than 10 plastic tips

I am no way "anti tip" so please don't think I am - these are just some of the reasons I prefer to sculpt.

HTH
CB X

Fitting the form correctly was the trickiest bit for me to learn.

I agree with all of the above. To be honest I began sculpting because I hated tip-blending...in fact I think its time I revisited tips because I'm sooo out of practice with them.
The only tricky bit with sculpting is a snug /correct fitting form...this feels awkward at first but you soon get the hang of it.
You need to be a little extra careful with clients who have nails like mine where the Hyponichium grows right up the free-edge...here you would pre-tailor the form to allow for this...its no joke having someone ram a form under your nail and splitting your hyponichium...I know, ouch!

Oceana said:
Hiya Sweetie....

Completely bespoke nail - no pinching from plastic tips and a complete perfect fit to your natural nail

Strength - the strength of an enhancement is between the natural nail and the overlay, so when sculpting the entire nail is covered with product with no area of weakness where a tip would be

Durability - People such as hairdressers or cleaners who have their hands in water a lot fare better with sculpted nails as cyanoacrylate adhesive can eventually be broken down in water

Problem nails - biters, spoon nails, flat nails, ski jumps - problem nails can be easily worked on by sculpting

I am no way "anti tip" so please don't think I am - these are just some of the reasons I prefer to sculpt.

HTH
CB X

Core blimey I think Clare covered it all really but I would add they tend to look more natural IMO they follow the contours (?) lines of the nails better and I think this is noticable as my clients always comment on this fact.

gosh kimmi ide love to learn to sculpt to

the couple of times I tried it I gave up at the form fitting stage cause I just couldnt get it to anywhere near the right shape!

are the reuseable forms better for this????

Nikki.xx

Hi, I think it has all been covered......but here are my thoughts....
When I sculpt I feel more like an Artist...after all you are creating a beautiful nail from nothing......... you are creating the lower arch with no tip to assist....etc....
and some clients have mentioned they can actually feel more comfortable on your nails...if that makes sense....
Sculpting is well worth learning...go for it

Kimmi,

A sculpted nail is far superior all round - stronger, quicker, more natural, etc, etc, etc - go for it!

I never had a problem getting a nice shape with my reusable forms BUT they do seem to get dented pretty quickly. Whether I had cheap ones or I abused them, or if it's just what happens to them I don't know, but it makes them a bit expensive if they only last for about 5 sets or so!

When i try to sculpt with gel, i find they are a bit flat. You naturally get the curve with a tip at the free edge. Unlike acrylic yu cant pinch, so how do yu do it?

Oceana said:
Hiya Sweetie....

HTH
CB X

bimbogeri said:
I've taught myself sculpting, and although I wouldn't claim to be great at it, it's not as hard as I thought.
I would say give it a bash and see how you get on, it's probably not as hard as you think it's going to be.

Ditto!!!

I'm not the greatest sculpture in the world, but it's a lot easier than you think, even doing the smile lines seem easier to me.

I remember the 1st nail i sculpt on my guinee pig (Bless my Mum), and we both sat there afterwarsds in a state of shock, as to how easy, quick and natural it looked.

As bimbogeri says give it a try, it's def worth a go.

Ummmm am I missing something here :D ... there is also a megga plus that no one (that I noticed) mentioned!!! Sculpting SAVES YOU MONEY AND MAKES YOU MONEY.... HOW - see below!

Sculpting is an ART.... you charge more for a full set BUT HEY GET THIS... you don't use tips (most expensive part of full set), thus costing you less; you don't have to blend tips (thus saving you time) - therefore, you use less product, work quicker, save money but make more on the full set!!

NOW there's some interesting thoughts!!!! :eek:

Mrs Geek said:
Ummmm am I missing something here :D ... there is also a megga plus that no one (that I noticed) mentioned!!! Sculpting SAVES YOU MONEY AND MAKES YOU MONEY.... HOW - see below!

Sculpting is an ART.... you charge more for a full set BUT HEY GET THIS... you don't use tips (most expensive part of full set), thus costing you less; you don't have to blend tips (thus saving you time) - therefore, you use less product, work quicker, save money but make more on the full set!!

NOW there's some interesting thoughts!!!! :eek:
I know this will swing it for you Kimmi - how could I forget the money saved!

I did a skill building day last Friday at the New Manchester Creative Academy and used this day to learn sculpting and product ratio. Its great, I have been doing them on myself a couple of times but not getting the correct overall look - ie apex in the wrong place, or no apex even. Having spent only a few hours practicing and having someone look over my shoulder a few times, I feel I am ready to perform sculpts on paying clients. I rebalanced my blue sparkle sculpts last night and gave myself lovely apexes on each finger :)

Have a go Kimmi... its great and once you get the hang of it, a lot cheaper way to work but yet more stronger nails and beauty :) Its a win win situation lol!!

- Oceana covered that off Mrs G :)

Aaargh !!!! I wanna do it and I wanna do it now.

Gonna get some forms and have a go.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. xxx

I have also wanted to sculpt for ages, but only ever do it on myself. Too scared to do it on paying clients. Was just wondering Jen if it was the skill building application you learned how to sculpt and did you get a fair amount of time practicing in class. Just wondering as i was thinking of doing this class or a one to one.

Emmajt said:
I remember the 1st nail i sculpt on my guinee pig (Bless my Mum),

I was half asleep when I read this - I thought I've heard of peeps painting their dogs toe nails (HEATHER!), but how the hell do you get a form on a guinea pig's nails ... then I saw the bit about your mum! Come on Sas, WAKE UP!

Latest posts

Back