Shellac over acrylic nail enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_rhi

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was reading some similar posts on this topic but just wanted to cover one thing.. I have a client who wants to try Shellac, but she needs extra strength & length. She basically wants short-ish black nails. She has decided that she wants acrylic nails with Shellac over the top. So what I wanted to know is, in two weeks time when they need to be infilled (the acrylic), I would have to obviously soak the Shellac off first, which would probably effect the acrylic underneath. Would it be possible to do the acrylics and finish with a UV gel top coat, and then apply Shellac over the top? That way when I soak the Shellac off, the acrylic underneath would be protected by the UV top coat. I would then proceed to buff off the UV top coat, and do the infills.

What do you guys think of that? Would it work?

Any other ideas would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Actually there's no need to soak off the Shellac when you apply it over acrylic. You just file off the Shellac and then proceed with your fill as usual. Another thing to know is that there is no need for the base coat when applying Shellac to acrylic. You just start with the 1st color coat straight away.

Hi guys, I was reading some similar posts on this topic but just wanted to cover one thing.. I have a client who wants to try Shellac, but she needs extra strength & length. She basically wants short-ish black nails. She has decided that she wants acrylic nails with Shellac over the top. So what I wanted to know is, in two weeks time when they need to be infilled (the acrylic), I would have to obviously soak the Shellac off first, which would probably effect the acrylic underneath. Would it be possible to do the acrylics and finish with a UV gel top coat, and then apply Shellac over the top? That way when I soak the Shellac off, the acrylic underneath would be protected by the UV top coat. I would then proceed to buff off the UV top coat, and do the infills.

What do you guys think of that? Would it work?

Any other ideas would be appreciated! Thanks :)

My question is, why Shellac? It's being marketed to natural nail clients. Not saying enhancement clients CAN'T use it, I just wouldn't understand why, as nail polish will last just as long as Shellac.

I would polish her nails and use Lumos base/top coats. Quick drying and long lasting shine.

As gr8nailz said, you wouldn't soak off the Shellac, you would buff it off then proceed with the service.

Best of luck! :)

My question is, why Shellac? It's being marketed to natural nail clients. Not saying enhancement clients CAN'T use it, I just wouldn't understand why, as nail polish will last just as long as Shellac.

I would polish her nails and use Lumos base/top coats. Quick drying and long lasting shine.

As gr8nailz said, you wouldn't soak off the Shellac, you would buff it off then proceed with the service.

Best of luck! :)

The reason why I'm asking about Shellac is merely because my client wanted to try it, but wants extra length and strength too, so I suggested acrylic enhancements/extensions and then we can put Shellac on top. She did mention however that she wants short black nails. So do you think I am better off just doing the acrylics and painting them with black polish, followed by a good top coat?

A good few of my clients have shellac over acrylics because they love the overall finish and also zero dry time - no smudges. I have a lady who has very long very square acrylic with tropix, it looks fab!:)

For removal I file it when maintaining the acrylic - easy peesy!

Last edited:
The reason why I'm asking about Shellac is merely because my client wanted to try it, but wants extra length and strength too, so I suggested acrylic enhancements/extensions and then we can put Shellac on top. She did mention however that she wants short black nails. So do you think I am better off just doing the acrylics and painting them with black polish, followed by a good top coat?

I'll tell you what I would do. I would manicure and paint her own short natural nails with Shellac. In a mere 2 weeks you will see an incredible difference in length and strength. In just 3 weeks, her natural nails will have grown to the length she wants and they will be ALL her own. She will be thrilled. No nail buffing, her nails will be strong and healthy, and you will have one happy clients hands in yours.

If she is desperate for enhanced nails, then I would paint them with CND 'Inkwell' patent leather black.

I don't use shellac inuse gelish but I do this over acrylics at a small extra charge I don't usually charge for polish over acrylics but in the last 3 months everyone who usually has colour is now having gelish. They love the colours I have and love the glossy look it has. Even though it marketed as a natural nail treatment they happy to pay extra for it. X

Personally, that's what I would suggest OR what geeg has suggested. She has great advice. :)

I use Shellac or other gel polish on acrylics sometimes cause there's fun things you can do with it and for the clients that don't want you to put the additives on the inside of the acrylic you can do it in the gel..
Like ombré glittering ( putting it in the gel instead of polish helps you not be able to feel it... Encapsulating rhinestones and Mylar and much more...
If you put the glitter and stuff in it and u can still feel it after final coat u buff till smooth and then apply gel top and all set...

Oops didn't see the date on this was awhile ago... Lol

Latest posts

Back