Shocked at response

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divadee

Reaction score
I went into a local discount salon today checked out the nail art display and asked for a price list.

There were clients waiting and having nails done. I clocked the certificates on wall and was reading them, all in foreign names. Next minute I know I'm getting screamed at what are you doing. I replied sorry. Shocked by his reaction, he replied what are you doing. I replied checking your qualifications on the wall ..... shop went very quite. I did notice not one professional product in sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably photocopied and changed the names. I wish these places would get closed down.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

this is the salon im trying to compete with o my days better have a rethink iv sorted the spraytan course out just waiting on dates before xmas rush
il be doing nails too stocking only professional products and rethink my price list and nail art .. then see what clients ask for before further training there only one salon in town that iv seen saying minx in window but not been in yet due to being closed he was really rude god knows what the paying customers were thinking coz if that had happened while i was waiting i would of walked out with who ever he was screaming at

I know I would be polite and professional, but I wouldn't be too happy if someone walked into my business for a price list but obviously checking out everything from my stock to my certificates just before they set up in business against me.

Ah izzi if the qualifications were there for all to see then i dont see why he was rude about it, would be different if the op was riffling through paperwork. And clearly he got angry as they appear to be fraudulant docs.

However you may have been a little conspicuous though so next time either be more discreet or ask a friend/family member to collect information for you

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm having a hard time trying to understand what's wrong with the foreign names on the certificates? I have both a foreign and "western" name. If I have one with with my foreign name on it, would that make my certificate invalid and fraudulent?

I wouldn't like someone doing that in my salon.

We are very lucky here in Essex as most of the nail bars run by Vietnamese techs have certs that look genuine, do an amazing pedi that never chips and they are lovely people. I think it's all changed from 10 years ago when they all used illegal products. Times have moved on.

I'm having a hard time trying to understand what's wrong with the foreign names on the certificates? I have both a foreign and "western" name. If I have one with with my foreign name on it, would that make my certificate invalid and fraudulent?

I only have a foreign name, which is on all my certificates, and even some of those are from a foreign country in a foreign language.
I can assure everyone that they are authentic, so I don't see the significance at all either.
Goodness me, I hope I am not being judged like this in my salon.

I see no problem in you looking at the certificates. I think it's wise to know your in safe hands.

If every thing is above board he would not have acted like that. I would give your local trading standard a call, if you think they were fake etc...

I think instead of just sitting around and moaning about unqualified and uninsured therapist we should report them IF we have reason to be considered.

I know people are going to say "we can report them all" or what not, however, if it was happening in my area and I would make a simple phone call.

I don't think the language of the name has a point, unless your clients know you out of work you could use someone else's certificates & call yourself by that name.

My local nss had 3 certificates on display but 7 techs working. No one moans if you look at them.

I think the reaction speaks volumes, you could have been genuinely interested in their qualifications. They were on display for people to see.
In fact maybe clients should be interested in seeing our certificates before having a treatment.

Before I entered this industry I thought it was regulated, & Id probably still think the same if I hadn't gone in to beauty.

Xx

Completely agree with this Chicka well said.I do not see the relevance at all.

But we all know you put on you American accent and your actually Chinese :p only joking.

I think enough of this foreign names thing it bares no relevance what so ever.If my name was Patricia bratwherst does that mean I'm actually a german sausage pretending to be human :p. X

I don't have certificates up on my wall.

I don't have certificates up on my wall.

The last 2 shops I was in, none of my certs were on the wall either. :)

And I probably wouldn't like someone coming on my premises to look around, but not get any of the services I'm offering. Asking for a price list and asking questions = ok. Coming in having a good look at everything on the tables and walls, then walking out without saying anything= suspicious. I'd be paranoid a burglary or something was about to go down!

I rent a room in a hairdressers and I'm not allowed to have anything displayed on the wall.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Please read the link i put on, i think we should all be more vigilant. If we cant go into a salon and ask afew questions and have a look around without someone shouting 'what are you doing' there might be a reason why. These poor girls are brought here thinking they are going to have a careers as nail techs or nannys. In reality they are illegal slaves. Bury your heads in the sand and pretend its not happening if you want but it is happening in most towns and cities. Clients who go to the salons dont know they are funding more illegal practices like drugs and prostitution. If you think a salon needs reporting please report them.

If we cant go into a salon and ask afew questions and have a look around without someone shouting 'what are you doing' there might be a reason why.

I wasn't there so I don't know how the OP entered the salon and how she acted whilst she was there. Was the shouting justified? I don't know because I wasn't present. If anyone came into my salon with an attitude (which I'm not saying OP had) I might raise my voice and might not appear happy if someone is critically looking around.
I don't understand why we are suddenly talking prostitution and drugs, jeez!

I'm quite shocked at how some people can be quite judgemental without hearing both sides of the story, or having all of the facts.

The last 2 shops I was in, none of my certs were on the wall either. :)

And I probably wouldn't like someone coming on my premises to look around, but not get any of the services I'm offering. Asking for a price list and asking questions = ok. Coming in having a good look at everything on the tables and walls, then walking out without saying anything= suspicious. I'd be paranoid a burglary or something was about to go down!

It's probably a good thing you didn't have your certificates on the wall. Judging by some responses on here, with your name, you'd have Immigration and the Vice Squad kicking the door in to check your status!!! LOL!

Latest posts

Back