Shocked at response

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh probably !!! But still they prob would have used that for years under my name lol.

Ah ha maybe I have been using a different identity all along.I AM Patricia bratwherst !!!!!!!!! Dun dun daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

R5Xk4o1.jpg

Oh my gosh...I started reading this post in disgust and now I'm in tears laughing!!

Am hungry anyone got mustard?

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

The last 2 shops I was in, none of my certs were on the wall either. :)

And I probably wouldn't like someone coming on my premises to look around, but not get any of the services I'm offering. Asking for a price list and asking questions = ok. Coming in having a good look at everything on the tables and walls, then walking out without saying anything= suspicious. I'd be paranoid a burglary or something was about to go down!

I agree that there's ways of checking stuff when entering a salon, I have displays of products and a whole wall of certificates for everyone to see - I am proud to display them to ensure clients are happy that all is above board. I wouldn't go into a butchers and buy meat without looking at it first.... so checking me out is fine as long as its done nicely!!

All of us have our certificates framed on the wall, and I actually quite like people looking at them, as I know that they know their being treated by a qualified hairdresser xxx

I'm the paranoid type. So I'm easily suspicious of people. If I had a stable place to work from (which I don't as I'm mobile, and wear the pin from my insurance company and master class like a good lil girl scout just to compensate for that in so client can be rest-assured they're in good hands) I would proudly display all my years of hard work on my walls.

Anyone who matters can freely have a good look. Clients, the council, insurance people, health and safety inspectors, ect- all free to look. They can ask all the questions they want. Hell, I'll demo some products I have on retail for them if they want. However, I've always been a believer of not looking at another's garden growing so I can focus on my own. I would not like someone who's considering me their rival to come in and nose around my business. If they are serious about their own business, surely they should be focusing on building that up and making sure their own skills and qualifications are up to par instead of making sure mine are? I probably wouldn't have been as loud as that man, but I certainly wouldn't have had anything nice to say about it either. And given some of the earlier responses here, I would probably be labelled as a possible human trafficker or drug and arms smuggler/dealer, and have people who don't even know me or my business making anonymous reports about me because of it.

But hey ho, that's this industry for ya! I'm glad I was able to have a few good chuckles with a few of you about it though. :)

Times havnt changed everywhere, in Blackburn a lady who ran a nails salon has been convicted of people trafficking. Its well known around here what is actually happening in some salons. Is your manicurist a sex slave? Nail salons a front for human trafficking? | Mail Online

This was in the daily record, there are raiding nail bars in Glasgow and apparently their clients don't care and are taking the hump they are missing their appointment due to a raid. As I,entwined in a previous post these places are dodgy as, nice girls but their"uncle's" tend to be drug lords or the likes my local salon was raided, it great for money laundering purposes. Much as there are skilled and nice girls WE have a moral duty to seriously consider our custom to these nail bar, we are subsidising human trafficking and abuse. Also we taking business away from tax paying british people.

I'm surprised at the amount of responses saying that the OP shouldn't have been checking out the oppositions prices. It is part of a business plan to know who your competition is and what they charge - how would you get that information without calling to their place of business?

If while calling to collect a price list you see a nail art display & some certificates displayed on the wall what is wrong with looking at them?

I don't think the OP was in the wrong to go have a look around, I visited most of my local salons to collect price lists before I set up & I also got my hands on a few mobile therapists price lists too, that said I didn't walk in there explaining that I was about to set up in the same line of work so they SHOULD have just seen me as a potential client asking for a price list (& I do actually use some of the salons when I want to be pampered).

I went into a local discount salon today checked out the nail art display and asked for a price list.

There were clients waiting and having nails done. I clocked the certificates on wall and was reading them, all in foreign names. Next minute I know I'm getting screamed at what are you doing. I replied sorry. Shocked by his reaction, he replied what are you doing. I replied checking your qualifications on the wall ..... shop went very quite. I did notice not one professional product in sight.

I know I would be polite and professional, but I wouldn't be too happy if someone walked into my business for a price list but obviously checking out everything from my stock to my certificates just before they set up in business against me.

I'm surprised at the amount of responses saying that the OP shouldn't have been checking out the oppositions prices. It is part of a business plan to know who your competition is and what they charge - how would you get that information without calling to their place of business?

If while calling to collect a price list you see a nail art display & some certificates displayed on the wall what is wrong with looking at them?

I don't think the OP was in the wrong to go have a look around, I visited most of my local salons to collect price lists before I set up & I also got my hands on a few mobile therapists price lists too, that said I didn't walk in there explaining that I was about to set up in the same line of work so they SHOULD have just seen me as a potential client asking for a price list (& I do actually use some of the salons when I want to be pampered).

Fair point Baggy bear, and as the first person to have been reproving of this I dare say I am to blame for the posts that followed

It's not so much the checking out the opposition and getting a price list here. I (rightly or wrongly) picked up on an attitude in the opening post that was already critical of this salon before she walked in the door, therefore I thought why does it matter what they charge? Mentioning it was foreign names on the certificates, also dumbfounded me.
Of course there is no excuse for the rude confrontational behaviour of the staff member in this salon. However still I wouldn't be happy if someone came into my place of work and looked at me, my products and my certificates in the judgemental way the OP came across.

Of course the written word can always seem harsher, and the OP may not have meant the attitude I picked up on and may indeed still have been In Shock at having been shouted at, therefore I kept my post as neutral as I could. I should also know better to read an attitude into a post that may not be there. My bad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back