Show you are Confident with Yourself and Your Work ... Some Tricks.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some fantastic advice Geeg:hug:

Thanks for all your kind comments ... I hoped the article would help but how about some feedback on your own experiences and what you did that worked for you so that we can help others when it happens to them!!

By the way, I simply do not believe those who say they have never had a client complain about broken nails!!! There is not a nail technician in the world who has not had a client moan about breaking a nail.

fantastic thread!!

Thanks for all your kind comments ... I hoped the article would help but how about some feedback on your own experiences and what you did that worked for you so that we can help others when it happens to them!!

By the way, I simply do not believe those who say they have never had a client complain about broken nails!!! There is not a nail technician in the world who has not had a client moan about breaking a nail.
Your absolutely right there, Gigi.
I remember when I used to work in the salon and I had a client come in with two broken nails. She really wasn't happy as I'd only done her a new set three days previous to them breaking.
The conversation went a little like this:

Me: Hi Mrs xxxx, what seems to be the trouble here, I've heard we've had a little accident?

Client: Well I only had these done the other day, and just look at the state of these two nails!

Me: Oooh dear, let me have a look. So what exactly did you do then?

Client: Well I shut the car boot and they just came clean off!

Me: Wow I bet that was painful.

Client: Ooooh yes, it was, I almost felt sick when I did it.

(At this point she had already admitted to me that it was HER who had caused the nail to break, at this point I began to sympathise with her.)

Me: You know, it happens to the best of us, I've done it myself a few times. You know how I stopped it from happening? I realised that by handling things a little differently, I was able to cope with waring enhancements. For instance using the pads of your fingers. It's amazing the difference it makes.
Any way easily fixed. I tell you what I'll do, I'll replace these nails and take the length down a little until you get use to them.

Client: Oh thanks Jules, I'll really try to be more careful.

Me:Good for you, because if you don't you'll have me to deal with!! (Joking fashion)

(I found that by firstly by assessing the situation, then sympathising, then coming out with a solution, was the best way to deal with the situation. Topped off with a little humour to finish, therefore bonding with the client.)

Just to add, this client was a new client at the time so being diplomatic really helped.

THE END

here's another

Client....This one just fell off

Me...can you remember what you were doing at the time when it just fell off ?

Client...Well i was just quickly taking some washing out of the washing machine and it just came off.

Me...Yes thats a classic way to break a nail, may i suggest next time using the pads of your fingers and not your finger tips, like this (and show her)...also i find that clients tend to break there nails when doing things in a rush. Using your hands differently will make a huge difference.

Tiger Jay and Bagpuss ............ PERFECT (said in best judge giigi voice)

Just what peeps need to help them in different situations.

Keep them coming it helps so much. thankyou

Im loving this thread.

Gigi should do a 'dealing with the general public' book and 'what your training DIDNT tell you' .

I wish I knew what I knew now - but then thats like if you were a kid again and the kid who pushed you over you would get up and kick their arses.

But every client will try it on - even now with my favourites - they still deny a breakage had anything to do with them.

I sometimes get the call 'you wanna see the state of my nails this time' I just say 'drunk again I expect' and laugh .

One of the things I say to them is watch yourself with wet car door handles, cupboard doors with wet hands, making the beds and pushing the cover down the side of the bed, cleaning the bathroom - all nail breakers.

thankx this is a wonderful post we all need to remember

this thread is a pearler! (aussie slang for something brilliant)
to coin a past phrase from you geeg.."we dont break clients nails, they do!"

Just read this and thankyou so much Geeg! What a brill thread. You get so many 'chancers' in this industry (and i've had a few) who tell you that their nails just pinged off after a week or so. Most get bored and pick at them as they are something new to play with...(done it myself years ago!) to try and test how strong the nails are! I had a client who said her nail had 'fallen off in bed' and tried every trick in the book, 'i'll get you some clients if you ....' so on. I then pointed out her splinter haemorage (can't spell it!) where the nail had been prized off. Well she knew then I knew what I was talking about.
This was when I was mobile, and I think you perhaps get more people like this as they don't have the hassle of coming to you.
Thanks again Geeg, brill advice.:hug:

Fabolous! very motivating to stand up for ourselves.
thanks Geeg.
Nic

This is so informative and such a professional approach. Thank you geeg.

well done this is great advice i have taken it on board and hope this will help with unhappy clients if and when i get them:)

Thanks for your advise. I had a client telll me she had a reaction to her leg wax (it had been fine on the two other occations). Without first finding out what products she had applied afterwards or if she had followed after care advise I was very apologetic, which I later regreted. It's definately helped me to think before I rush in with an a apology.

God damn,this site is so awe inspiring,im learning more and more about nails than i ever did before,but ultimately its myself that has to kick myself in the butt to get back to nails again!

This has been a great read. As a newbie, due to take Biosculpture assessment a week on Monday, I am the first to doubt the quality of my own work. I'm struggling at the moment as I'm a perfectionist and that makes life difficult.

This thread has made me realise that aesthetically my nails may still have a 'little way to go', but in fact, have been putting Biosculpture on my own nails for a year now and never had any significant problem with them. (just some lifting when I don't have my staple remover handy LOL) This tells me that the nails are applied correctly as far as strength, hygiene etc are concerned, even if the shape isn't quite perfect. In addition, they can't look that bad, as my nails and those I have done on others have been admired. OK, not by professionals, but admired all the same!...... Oh! Wish me luck!

If you liked this thread, then maybe you will find the AGONY AUNT sticky thread in the main forum useful to you.

Any questions for me?

Thanks Geeg, I was there first of all and it's also a valuable source of info. I need to have all of it to hand ('to - brain'!) for when I need it though. I'd be naive if I thought that it wouldn't happen to me. I've been charging very reduced prices throughout training, at the same time making it clear that I'll br charging full price after qualification, trying to avoid treating the same person more than once or twice, unless necessary for portfolio. This was for mani, gel and pedi and any other courses I do. I figured it would get the word further around that I'm planning to be working from home. I think I have verbal diarrhoea!

Excellent as always Geeg, i love the Kiss and Kick approach.

Latest posts

Back