Spray tan going on green!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try celebrity secrets... love it! hth

xxxxxxxxxxx
Not a big fan of them, Celebrity secrets. I have been doing HVLP for many years ( before it hit the uk) celeb secrets used to be really good, they were the Uk arm of react cosmentics, React Cosmetics as anyone who used them years back will tell you, they used to say react on there bottles.

they still sell a react product, but there own core products are there own, are not to good. Paraben Free they are, like a lot of the companies now, may be good and natural, but a poor finish.

I have noticed a lot of companies have gone Paraben Free, So I purchase there products that are not, or direct from the US.

Su

I originally started out with Celebrity Secrets but soon found something much better on the market.

I use Vani-t and if the solution comes in contact with water it does go green, I only know this from cleaning the tent. Maybe someone accidentally got water in it. It has a brown guide colour normally and looks great from start to finish. You need to discard the bottle I'm afraid. I charge £30 a tan. :hug: It's free from parabens and completely organic ingredients.

Hi,
I have been told by my spray tan supplier that if the client has any remains of deodrant, moistoriser or perfume etc on their skin prior to the tan being applied then that can send the tan / skin green also. Get them to remove all traces with a baby wipe before hand see if that makes any diffrence? x

I use Vani-t and if the solution comes in contact with water it does go green, I only know this from cleaning the tent. Maybe someone accidentally got water in it. It has a brown guide colour normally and looks great from start to finish. You need to discard the bottle I'm afraid. I charge £30 a tan. :hug: It's free from parabens and completely organic ingredients.

Well its not completely organic, but uses nearly all natural and organic ingredients yes. And you are correct its free of parabens and uses all natural perservatives so has a shelf life of around 12 months once opened.

Water doesnt make it go green, exposure to air does and cleaning agents will discolour obviously also
:)

p.s - Yes it is a good idea to store in the fridge in warmer weather

To produce the instant bronzing colour in a self tan fluid necessitates the use of a colouring compound. Most manufacturers will use a cosmetic food dye. The brown tint is achieved by mixing together at least three colours, red, yellow and blue in varying proportions.

There are numerous tints of red, yellow and blue to choose from, but for use with DHA each one has to have a high percentage of resistance to the acidic effect of DHA and whatever pH reducer (eg citric acid) is used to achieve the desired pH level for the effectiveness of the DHA.

THE CAUSE OF FLUIDS HAVING A GREEN TINGE

1. ON THE BOTTLE NECK Some reds have quite a high evaporation level and when spilt around the neck of the bottle the red begins to be absorbed into the atmosphere, and leaves yellow and blue- which appears as a green, but since yellow will have slightly been affected it is actually a ‘bluey green’.

2. IN THE GUN OR STORAGE TANK Any metal components in a spray gun or storage tank will have a disastrous effect on the bronzing colour in a self tan. The acidity of the fluid will begin to penetrate carbonised metals and start corrosion, which will firstly absorb the most vulnerable colour which is red. All spray guns must be cleaned daily and dried thoroughly. Any metal storage tanks in spray booths are at risk from corrosion even aluminium. Stainless steel tanks are suitable if Grade 316 stainless steel is used.

3. ON THE BODY Ideally when a person is sprayed an instant brown colour is achieved. The reason for this is two fold.
1. Customer can see an instant tan
2. The operative has a guide to where the customer has been sprayed and an easy instant tan can be achieved.

On some people this instant bronzing can also appear to have a ‘greeny’ tint. The reason for this is that when fluid is sprayed it is atomised by the speed of air drawing the fluid into a mixing chamber and then being mixed together at a ratio of approx. 16:1 (AIR : FLUID). (Different guns and air pressure will vary this ratio). The fluid is then applied to the skin. Ideally the skin needs to be slightly acidic for the effectiveness of DHA, but perspiration on most ladies bodies is heading towards an alkaline level. Highly atomised acidic fluid applied to an alkaline body can cause problems to certain reds that are used, in as much as body temperature (evaporation) and the tanning fluids acidic level are trying to combat an alkaline skin.

However, all of this colour activity, whether it be in the bottle (lid not replaced) in the gun ( gun not cleaned out regularly and thoroughly) or on alkaline skin (perspiration or just had a shower using soap) has no effect on the efficiency of the self tan fluid. The attitude that if a fluid has a ‘greeny’ colour then it has ‘gone off’ is all a myth.

Well its not completely organic, but uses nearly all natural and organic ingredients yes.
My bottle says all organic ingredients! Strange!

thanks for all your replies. The bottles are stored in a dark room but it's pretty warm so maybe that's not helping. It's the medium and dark shades that are really green, the light isn't too bad.

The salon only charges £12.50 for a spray tan and what with all the overheads, i can't see that she's making that much profit when she has to spend £50 per litre of tanning solution.

Just another thought....

Are you shaking up the Vani-T bottle before dispencing to your HVLP?
If not, maybe give that a try before ditching your stock - you never know.

thanks so much for all your replies. the storage in a warm area will probably be to blame as the room is so warm.

I will try and tactfully speak to the salon owner about the pricing but it's a tricky one because i am new and inexperienced.

Clients have reported that the tans are coming out just fine once they've washed off the guide colour the next morning but they are not happy with going home looking green so i think we'll be binning the last of the medium and dark and storing the light, which is fine, in a nice cool area.

BB
x

I have just picked up this thread, but I think most people have covered that your main problem appears to be in the storage. Without doubt the room temperature will have affected the solution. Our colour guide does not spray on green. We would always recommend that you do not store solution in your gun pot overnight and always clean your gun out, as you will inevitably get a build up which will cause problems with the solution dispensing through the gun nozzle. It might be a good idea for your salon owner to give us a call and we can help with any questions she might have concerning storage or any other matter.

I would say that you are undercharging for your spray tans and certainly most of the salons we sell to charge around £25 per full body. HTH

Liz

Latest posts

Back