Starting from the beginning-make up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I am starting from scratch knowing nothing at all really, I am a qualified nail tech and have opened a beauty room offering nail services and other beauty treatments but this room is within a hair salon and I feel we would have the opening for occasion makeup. I have booked a local course (diploma) to cover the basics (I hope).

I am looking at wedding, prom and that sort of thing to start with, have any of you experienced geeks got any pointers? what type of kit is essential favourite brands and any other information that may prove useful. I know Rome was not built in a day but we have to start somewhere I have already invested 1000's into the business so need a middle of the range to start with.

I would be so grateful for your help,

x

The first thing I would say is buy decent brushes as they can make a world of a difference, zoeva are my favourite and also real techniques are good for the price point. Makeup wise I try and buy as much stuff in palettes as I can or where I can't I make my own palettes up as this really saves space, z palettes and Mac Pro palettes are great for this. Brand wise I like certain Mac products, Laura mercier, Bobbi brown, makeup geek, certain things from Anastasia Beverley hills, Armani, kryolan and the balm. There's other bits and bobs I like from other brands but they tend to be my fave brands I stick with. Good luck with your course. X

Most make up artist use a variety of brands for their make up. The course should give you advise on which brands to use etc. Do be careful on one day courses in make up though. Hope you dont mind me saying as to cover all of the basics in dept, I would advise a nationally recognised qualification x

Best advice I can give is really learn about skin and foundation. Really KNOW how to prep skin and which type of foundation to use for each type. Know which foundation suits which skin type and which climate: water based, wax based, silicone based etc.

All anyone wants to focus on these days is winged eye liner, cut crease, contour, highlighter blah blah, don't matter how good you are at that, if your clients skin looks crap the overall look will be crap. Learn flawless skin and the rest will look amazing.

What foundations does everyone recommend x

Mac prolongwear is great for things like proms and weddings where your client to could be faced with a hot and long day!
You also want a couple of good primers and setting powder. I usually then follow on with a setting spray like urban decay (they do a few different ones for different skin types)

Mac Pro long wear & Armani luminous silk are my faves. I use them separately and sometimes mix the two aswell.
x

Latest posts

Back