Streaky Tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florriedee

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Sorry this is yet another tanning Q! I have just trained in tanning and I was sprayed by the trainer, but I still went streaky (on the inside of my arms there was a definate line and there seems to be a stripe down one of my legs but I'm blaming that on the dog licking it off!!) I did think that as I drove home shortly afterwards (and quite a long way home) I maybe rubbed it off when steering etc... but my concern is what do I say to my clients if they go streaky? (my trainer who I sprayed said it was fine when I did her but I did a friend the day after and she didn't take at all although again that could be because I didn't put enough on her!) I have exfoliated by arms into submission and they look fine now and I will be doing this mobile so ppl won't have to drive home etc... but what do I do? What do I say? Please help me I have 3 friends from work I am supposed to be doing tonight and they are sceptical enough! - slightly panicky now!:eek: Lx

you have to make sure the client is throughly dry after spraying give them 10 to 20mins to dry off,also your friends tan you say it didnt come out maybe she went home and washed it straight off or didnt leave it on long enuff i recommend to my clients to leave ot on over night to get better and longer results hope that helps and try not to panic i do too but you get use it.

I am sure that your trainer will have shown you a routine for spraying, stick to that, concentrate on what you are doing and this will ensure that all areas are covered.

My clients come to me so all have to drive home. I make sure that they understand about wearing loose clothing and I make sure that they are completely dry before they leave. I have never had a problem reported to me

I suspect that your long drive may have been the problem.

Good luck with your friends, take your time and I'm sure you will be fine:)

you have to make sure the client is throughly dry after spraying give them 10 to 20mins to dry off,also your friends tan you say it didnt come out maybe she went home and washed it straight off or didnt leave it on long enuff i recommend to my clients to leave ot on over night to get better and longer results hope that helps and try not to panic i do too but you get use it.

Hiya everyone,

I am new on here and have been lurking for a while, I am a qualified massage and waxing therapist.
I am the friend that Florridee sprayed, i did not wash off the tan until 8 hrs after i was sprayed, i also stayed in a sarong for a good 2 hrs after the spraying, maybe the tan didnt like my skin...lol.

mmmm in the early day's of spraytanning it just seems that despite training you are the only one on the planet who simply can't get it right whilst everyone else can...trust me ,like all new ventures in life,it will just click and you will be looking back in no time at all wondering why you were so woried about what you do.

Now Tan's..generally speaking,go wrong due to either incorrect application or the client hasn't prepered themselves properly (exfoliate,perfume etc) or a combination of both.

The art of application and dealing wth customers who's tans havent turned out right comes through usage and making mistakes....

During the initial "learning" phase post training remember to refer back to your trainer as much as is possible..that's what they are there for:hug:

Lucy it is extreemly posative you are worried about your initial experiance and seeking advice here..trust in your training ,the liquid you use and with experiance (usage) i am confident that you have the right atributes to be one hell of agood spraytan operator.:hug:

REMEMBER....from each and every mistake you make you will learn from it and therefore gain experiance:hug:

Keep spreading the :Love:

Hiya everyone,

I am new on here and have been lurking for a while, I am a qualified massage and waxing therapist.
I am the friend that Florridee sprayed, i did not wash off the tan until 8 hrs after i was sprayed, i also stayed in a sarong for a good 2 hrs after the spraying, maybe the tan didnt like my skin...lol.

sorry lurker...welcome to Salon geek :hug:

I always try to overlap my sprays and give two coats to try and get an even coverage.. I spray each part of the body twice, ie across the back from left to right then back again from right to left.... down the leg from left to right then back again from right to left... this works for me but you'll get your own system that works for you too :green:

It will come with practise and you are NOT the only one who has problems!! :hug: maybe your trainer did miss a bit, it happens! Maybe your friend could have gone a shade darker? perhaps you sprayed her with a 5% when an 8% would be more suited to her skin tone? something we all did when starting out but you will become more confident with time and practise..

Maybe get a length of couch roll and put some water with a small amount of solution in your gun and practise spraying lines that overlap onto that you'll be able to see them on the couch roll

Hope that helps x

I always try to overlap my sprays and give two coats to try and get an even coverage.. I spray each part of the body twice, ie across the back from left to right then back again from right to left.... down the leg from left to right then back again from right to left... this works for me but you'll get your own system that works for you too :green:

It will come with practise and you are NOT the only one who has problems!! :hug: maybe your trainer did miss a bit, it happens! Maybe your friend could have gone a shade darker? perhaps you sprayed her with a 5% when an 8% would be more suited to her skin tone? something we all did when starting out but you will become more confident with time and practise..

Maybe get a length of couch roll and put some water with a small amount of solution in your gun and practise spraying lines that overlap onto that you'll be able to see them on the couch roll

Hope that helps x
Or cheaper still, mix some food colouring with some water and spray it through your gun while practising on couch roll hth

Or cheaper still, mix some food colouring with some water and spray it through your gun while practising on couch roll hth

good idea! :green:

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am sure you are right with the practice practice practice and I need to memorise the routine etc... only trouble is I wasn't given the course handbook as it wasn't available :eek: and therefore am having to blag it all! Lol! I had a small problem last night cos the different solution was MUCH thinner than the other one I had used but I think I managed to put it right(!), I jolly well hope so anyway! If not she is bathing in lemonjuice all day today and exfoliating till it all looks great! Sadly there was an awful lot of touching going on - regardless of how much I told her it was imperative she left it alone but theres nothing I can di about it now! Wish me luck! Lol Lx

well I tanned a friend of mine last night and it kind of came out alright-ish! I managed to completely miss an arm and she has very dark ankles but apart from that it is not too bad - according to her anyway which is the plan at least! I left her with a sachet of top up stuff which she has put on it and it is at least darker now! Lol! Not bad considering I had no idea of the routine and the solution was gushing out cos it was far thinner that I was expecting and I had no idea why! (Worked it out now thanks to Jaffacake! Thanks Sherrie!) Thanks everyone for your support. I only need to find about 20 more willing victims and I might have worked it out! Lx

Glad to be able to help hun :hug:

Latest posts

Back