Teeth whitening training at beauty shows - statement from Illegal Teeth Whitening on FB

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecatsmeow

Reaction score
Hi, with the beauty shows coming up soon, I thought I'd share this statement from the Illegal Teeth Whitening Facebook Page regarding teeth whitening companies STILL trying to sell teeth whitening kits/training at beauty shows.
Please have a read, more and more people are being charged and fined for the illegal practice of teeth whitening, please be aware that the teeth whitening companies will say anything to get you to sign up. it's so not worth be risk...

It's the start of the year and the Professional Beauty shows are going to be starting at the end of this month.

Please warn anyone who is thinking about adding a new 'beauty treatment' to their list to avoid Teeth Whitening.
There will be numerous teeth whitening companies exhibiting at the shows ALL are ILLEGAL for you to perform unless you are a dentist or working to the prescription of a dentist and registered with the General Dental Council.
These companies rip off hundreds of people at every show, do not pay any deposits or part with any money - if you do it is a long and difficult process to get financial redress.
These companies are trained salesmen and women who's job it is to convince you that it is legal for you to do. Listen if you have to but walk away and Google what they are telling you, 'show offers' are not one time only offers, they happen all year long and it is getting more difficult to convince people that this is ok to do so the companies are getting more desperate to sell their product.

Spread the word, if this stops one person from being ripped off, it's worth it.

Here is a concise statement released by the GDC in 2014 to clarify:
http://www.gdc-uk.org/Newsandpublic...DC-statement-on-Megawhite-press-release-.aspx

The issues were all on bbc news this morning - perhaps this will enlighten the general public !

I wish 'Professional' Beauty would stop them trading. They're allowing this to happen to therapists who get totally misled. I will be so pleased the day they ban them from PB x

I wish 'Professional' Beauty would stop them trading. They're allowing this to happen to therapists who get totally misled. I will be so pleased the day they ban them from PB x

I worked on a stand at Olympia last year which was right opposite one of those teeth whitening stands and it's annoying to see just how so many salon owners get sucked in without knowing the facts [emoji17]

This is from the illegal teeth whitening page on facebook. If you are sold a package/training/equipment for this illegal service you can get your money back , thaey will give you advice

We would like to send our Congratulations to xxxxxxxx from xxxxxxxx on winning her court case yesterday (Monday) against xxxxxxxxx and their xxxxxxxx business package.

Her perseverance paid off and she was awarded the full cost of her business package and her court costs. We are very pleased for her.

Let this be a warning to anyone attending the Professional Beauty Show at Excel on 28 - 29 February 2016.

If you are not a dentist you can't provide teeth whitening, it is that simple. Do NOT listen to the sales patter of the people on the stands. We cannot stress this enough.

[names and location removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want people to be aware on how very convincing the sales reps are. A friend of mine had gone to imats london with me, she stumbled across a teeth whitening brand while i was shopping! Once i found her, they had convinced her that it was the exact same thing to what the dentist use, the only thing the sales rep didn't do was to get her to apply it on her. (There was a massive crowd huddling around this stand) The price was incredibly cheap and she thought ill snap this up- i was so annoyed as she had already parted with her cash! Her teeth were so sensitive afterwards, and you know what that is completely her fault that she got duped into sales patter.. Anyone looking to do it yourself, please just go a dentist! xoxo

I can't see why any organisation putting together a show to promote professionalism in beauty would allow a tooth whitening stand to have a stall.

I can't see why any organisation putting together a show to promote professionalism in beauty would allow a tooth whitening stand to have a stall.
My thoughts exactly Martin x

Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me at all.

I have spoke to Ian Archibold the Professional Beauty Show organiser on many ocassions, he states that if someone has the money for a stand then they can exhibit at the show - even if what they were selling had no obvious connection to the advertised show and as long as the product was legal. A very disappointing response from someone who could make a real difference in putting a stop to people being ripped off. Luckily Babtac are taking a firmer view and will be covering Teeth Whitening in their May 2016 issue. They have been inundated by beauticians who have been duped into adding teeth whitening as a service.

I have spoke to Ian Archibold the Professional Beauty Show organiser on many ocassions, he states that if someone has the money for a stand then they can exhibit at the show - even if what they were selling had no obvious connection to the advertised show and as long as the product was legal. A very disappointing response from someone who could make a real difference in putting a stop to people being ripped off. Luckily Babtac are taking a firmer view and will be covering Teeth Whitening in their May 2016 issue. They have been inundated by beauticians who have been duped into adding teeth whitening as a service.
As a company who looked at getting a stand there ourselves and having emailed Ian a couple of years ago, I'm not at all surprised. Based on the prices they charge for a stand, only big players and high ticket items could ever make a return there.

As a gdc dental professional and ex copper there is no way I will be attending any show that promotes and openly condones unsafe and illegal practices.

For another year professional beauty will not get my hard earned cash.

Slightly off topic, but I came across this today. The beauty concessions in Tesco (groan) run by Regis have pulled teeth whitening as they have been advised by both trading standards and the GDC that even the self administered form of treatment is illegal . It dosn't say if they have been fined (shame if not- if a small one man band is deemed culpable enough to be fined I think Regis should be too!) but I hope this reinforces what ppl have been saying for months & that therapists that think its ok to do without being a dentist start listening.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-axes-illegal-teeth-whitening-7503362

Slightly off topic, but I came across this today. The beauty concessions in Tesco (groan) run by Regis have pulled teeth whitening as they have been advised by both trading standards and the GDC that even the self administered form of treatment is illegal . It dosn't say if they have been fined (shame if not- if a small one man band is deemed culpable enough to be fined I think Regis should be too!) but I hope this reinforces what ppl have been saying for months & that therapists that think its ok to do without being a dentist start listening.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-axes-illegal-teeth-whitening-7503362
This is the post direct from the General Dental Council website: http://www.gdc-uk.org/Newsandpublic...ds-stop-sale-of-tooth-whitening-products.aspx There is no mention of fines or prosecution but Regis and Tesco have had to assure the General Dental Council that they will not undertake to carryout any teeth whitening unless under the supervision of a dental professional.

Latest posts

Back