The dreaded chrome!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tspblue

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Hi everyone
I'm just about to give up on the chrome, but was going to give it one last go.....
I've got the application right, the chrome looks perfect, but it just won't last. I use two coats of non wipe topcoat and it's still chipping. I've caped the free edge and still coming away.
Any suggestions pretty pls?

Hiya! I have been finding chrome a nightmare on natural nails as well! Same problem.. :| I find it lasts perfectly on acrylic extensions but haven't tried on top of an acrylic overlay yet, maybe that would work?xx

I'm glad I'm not alone. It seems to work on acrylic nails, just not on natural!
There must be a way to get the Crome to adere and not chip?

Logic should tell you that chrome pigment is just that solid shiney pigment, making the colour or glass like effect in essence thin later or fine milled dust or such.
Applied to acrylic lasts because the nail doe not move.
Gel or natural nails do have some flexibility so it's going to always chip.

Just explain to clients or to save yourself the headache of moaning clients refuse to do chrome on natural nails unless acrylics.

You are right. That's exactly what I thought, due to movement.
It just seems that some people have worked it out, I've seen the results and they have lasted, I just wish I knew how as I've tried everything I can think of

I just can't get behind the whole chrome pigment thing. I don't believe the technology of it to be reliable and consistent enough.

I think using a decent foil gets close to the look with more reliable results so I'm happier to do it that way.

you could just do a thin layer of smoothing gel or structure gel under the shellac.. will make it last longer and stop your nails from breaking

I wish I could help. Have you tried a different top coat to seal it?

I think it could also depend on the topcoat being used & also the chrome.

I had no issues with my first set of chrome nails (on natural nails) I used the no wipe top coat before applying the chrome & then 2 more to seal it.

The next set i did, I decided to use my regular topcoat to seal it, and they didn't last as long.

I think my regular topcoat is thinner than my no wipe, so I'm not sure if that was the issue.

Iv got chrome on my natural nails now & it's been a week. Only 1 has some slight wear on the tip, but it's my right hand, index finger. The rest with chrome are fine.

Next time you do chrome, apply base coat over it. So base, 2 colour, top, chrome, base and top.
I've heard of a few techs having no problem doing it this way and it's worked on me (I'm only doing my own nails atm).

Latest posts

Back