The Whole MMA thing.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
I hope you can help. I am still very very new to the acrylic nail scene and hope you can answer some questions.

OK

I read a thread (yesterday i think) about a client who wanted to go to a tech to have her nails done (sorry cant remember who it was or which thread) but the tech saw that the nails were EMA and she sent her back to the salon to have them take them off. Ok these are the questions I have

As a tech how can you tell that the nails are EMA? do they look different or is it because the tech knew that the salon she had put them on used EMA? and also how do you know if a salon uses EMA.

I am quite worried about this as like i say i am new to acrylic up till september last year so in the past i have been to a few different places to have acrylic nails put on. now as a client (as before this i had no knowledge whatsoever about EMA or MMA) how do i know if I have not had acrylic that has had EMA in it?

hope these questions make sense?

thanks

In my opinion, coz they look rubbery, thick, short, square are generally airbrushed and are diffiuclt to remove or file. hope that helps. oh and flat (as with no apex);) :irked:

Hi
Another way u can tell if they are MMA is the smell when u attempt to file. They have a really sickening smell. Im not sure what these nails smell of, can't quite make my mind up between cats p*ss or something fishy! :eek: either way, they make me reach!! they're gross!

from what i have seen of mma it is usually applied thinly no apex no beauty in the shape of the nail, it is tinged yellow, they airbrush a french on and if you do soak it off it will take ages and it has a smell of fish, thankfully i have only had 2 so far with mma, they went out with a full understanding of what damage can be done.
this picture is of a woman that had never had nails done before, she had tried and tried to soak them off herself the picture is the result after an hours soaking, she came to me and her fingers were sore and she just wanted the stuff off, it took me another 2 hours to remove it.

Attachments

• pictures 222.jpg
    pictures 222.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 139
kerri said:
Hi
Another way u can tell if they are MMA is the smell when u attempt to file. They have a really sickening smell. Im not sure what these nails smell of, can't quite make my mind up between cats p*ss or something fishy! :eek: either way, they make me reach!! they're gross!

LOL....I love this analogy!....you are so right tho Kerri....the Fishy smell is appalling....and you can tell by just filing the nail even the slightest bit.....its evident even before soaking! They are rubbery and fishy during the removal procedure....which in my experience has taken up to TWO HOURS! :eek:
I think the nails look generally yellow....right from when they are first applied. I used to think it was as the horrendous product aged...but the ones Ive seen of late....look, although not true YELLOW, like a creamy, milky looking colour!
The nails are thick(VERY THICK).....usually FAR too long as there has been NO client consultation!......generally airbrushed...although I did recently see a "lovely" (not) set of nails from a NSS that had been painted, (if I could call it that!) with an enamel that the client had taken in for them to use! Golly Gosh....did these guys work for Tarmac before doing nails or WOT!! Thankfully, although the canvas I had to work on was awful, I managed to french polish the monstrosities to the clients "I could kiss you yer know!" approval!
We gotta keep plodding on with the education of our clients!

Here is a picture of a client's nails who came to me from a salon suspected of using MMA. She had snapped the nail and it had snapped through her natural nail, causing her nail bed to bleed..This had healed greatly in this picture, but the damage was very clear when it was removed.

YUCKY...It smells like fish when you soak it off. I hate doing it because I suffer with Asthma and it gets my chest really tight.

The nails just look so false....but, this itself is no indication of mma. The only real proof that you can get is from obtaining the products the salon is using and doing tests on it. My local council have tested from this salon in question, and they believe that it is mma!!! Grrrrr!!! I am sick of cleaning up after their greenies and other mistakes. Rings of fire have to grow out. I have to use flawless and flawless blends on all the clients from this salon.

AAAAAAHHHH..can't we do something about this?!!!

I'm in exactly the same situation as you Caz. I'm forever having to correct disastrous monstrosities caused by these salons and MMA. On average I have 3 new clients a week that come in to me from these salons. I have to go through the same procedure of explaining the dangers of the product, informing them of the nail plate damage, either soaking off or trying to make them look a little bit better (hmmmm). Some clients just don't have the time or money for me to soak off and do a full set. I really don't like doing it but I do occasionally infill for them. I'll only do this once though, then 9 times out of 10 they come back to me for a full set of beautiful, healthy, delicate forever french nails. They are always so happy and say they wished they had come to me in the first place. I wish they had too because this really is the only part of the job that I hate, I HATE MMA & NSS!
What can we do about this?

heavenly said:
I'm in exactly the same situation as you Caz. I'm forever having to correct disastrous monstrosities caused by these salons and MMA. On average I have 3 new clients a week that come in to me from these salons. I have to go through the same procedure of explaining the dangers of the product, informing them of the nail plate damage, either soaking off or trying to make them look a little bit better (hmmmm). Some clients just don't have the time or money for me to soak off and do a full set. I really don't like doing it but I do occasionally infill for them. I'll only do this once though, then 9 times out of 10 they come back to me for a full set of beautiful, healthy, delicate forever french nails. They are always so happy and say they wished they had come to me in the first place. I wish they had too because this really is the only part of the job that I hate, I HATE MMA & NSS!
What can we do about this?
I know!!

It gets me so frustrated when you get somebody in for a soak off from this place and it takes at least and hour to soak off. Then you have to apply new set. You feel like the poor client has come to lodge with you. I do work from home and have a spare bed if necessary....lol

I am temtped to tell them to go back to the NSS to have them removed, but I don't feel that this would not be professional of me and would rather they have a pleasant experience as possible having them removed....I have heard then when the acetone hasn't worked at the NSS...they pick 'em off!!!! ouch!!!

wow

thanks for all your replies. i can safely say now that i have not had mma on my nails and feel confident that i know how to identify them

thanks to all of you

kizz

Latest posts

Back