Think I have been doing this completely wrong!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a deep breath and a big sheet of paper. Write down all the useful points made in the replies, and there are several. Read Lynne B's link and make notes from that.

Then do some honest self-evaluation, or better still get some from your clients. Are there are ways you can improve your service? Not just technically, but also by giving the client a lovely experience? This can be a painful experience, but is so useful.

Decide if this is what you really want. If so, don't back-seat beauty in favour of your other job. If you apply for, and get, a full-time beauty job take it!

Hope it all works out for you.

But, you do have something to show for it, you just have to look at things differently to be able to see it.

I've not made much of a monetary profit, but I have more experience, equipment, retail stock, a growing client base and I don't have to buy anything else right now to carry out my treatments so I can see my profit margins now increasing.

Same here- I guess I've probably just about broken even- but when I first starred I made loads of stupid purchases of nonsense that I've never used but still now I can feel things picking up and getting better and profit slowly increasing!

I've taken it the wrong way now because I don't like being taken as a idiot, looking at this topic it has been clogged up with cocky remarks and non constructive feedback! I like to get to the point and issue, I don't wanna be sat reading comments are aren't relevant and piss taking! That's all! So yep I got defensive! Obviously I was going by what others were charging but I also tried not to under charge myself, after 4 months which hasn't been crazy with clients only 30, it has given me a rough guide to look and re think my position and prices etc. I would love to try and be a employee in a salon, but ones I apply for clash with my current job! So I'll keep looking till I can find one that balance, I'm happy to take on advice, but I don't appreciate being made fun of when I am here commenting and being genuine, I only wanted genuine replies back. Not asking for a lot. I appreciate there are highly trained and qualified therapists on here & yes they see loads of underselling therapists who do take the piss out of the industry which makes it harder to keep this industry luxury when others undersell themselves, I may be new but I can also name some salons on my one hand who undersell around me! But I'm clearly stating that I don't wanna be one if those either and I am here because I'm taking my business serious.

Oh wow I've just caught up - please don't take anything I've said personally, I'm relatively new to all this as well but a few things I'm learning here are:

A) sometimes people here will tell you the harsh way, there's no sugar coating! Businesses brutal and this is a mere taste! Of course these guys have made mistakes along the way, everyone does but the key is to learn from them. But business doesn't suffer fools gladly and we all need to bear that in mind! If you don't want to know or can't bear the answer... Don't ask! I don't anyway

B) don't take things here so personally! No one on here actually knows you, we can only make judgements on what you type and sometimes those judgements are wrong! Just set people straight in a calm way and they will soon see your side

C) learn here- learn, learn, learn put up with all these lot and their harsh words (clears throat virtues!!!) they are this way for a reason because they have been there and done it and learned the hard way themselves! take out of it the knowledge they are aiming to impart as ultimately they are trying to help! Business is tough I'm learning that and it's better they give it to is raw than flower around it!

Trust me, I'm a softie at heart but I'm quickly learning to man up as if I want to survive out here I have to!! We all love our craft so that's one thing we all have in common!!

Xxx

I have often wondered why people like Lynne take up so much of their time to post advice here, plus all the free documents/tutorials? What motivates people to do that? I'm sure their time is precious too.

Part of it is a professional responsibility. I see so many beauty therapists coming out of college with barely the skills to work in a salon, let alone for themselves.
Part of it is a belief that you only get out of life what you're prepared to put into it.
Part of it is a genuine desire to see other people thrive and flourish.

Part of it is a professional responsibility. I see so many beauty therapists coming out of college with barely the skills to work in a salon, let alone for themselves.
Part of it is a belief that you only get out of life what you're prepared to put into it.
Part of it is a genuine desire to see other people thrive and flourish.

My tutor today reminded us to sterilise our clients hands before each manicure. 4 weeks in and I'm having kittens.
I try to pass on any advice or knowledge that I have here in appreciation of the advice and patience I have received here on SG.
"What goes round, comes round" in it's positive form!

Thank you

Oh wow I've just caught up - please don't take anything I've said personally, I'm relatively new to all this as well but a few things I'm learning here are:

A) sometimes people here will tell you the harsh way, there's no sugar coating! Businesses brutal and this is a mere taste! Of course these guys have made mistakes along the way, everyone does but the key is to learn from them. But business doesn't suffer fools gladly and we all need to bear that in mind! If you don't want to know or can't bear the answer... Don't ask! I don't anyway

B) don't take things here so personally! No one on here actually knows you, we can only make judgements on what you type and sometimes those judgements are wrong! Just set people straight in a calm way and they will soon see your side

C) learn here- learn, learn, learn put up with all these lot and their harsh words (clears throat virtues!!!) they are this way for a reason because they have been there and done it and learned the hard way themselves! take out of it the knowledge they are aiming to impart as ultimately they are trying to help! Business is tough I'm learning that and it's better they give it to is raw than flower around it!

Trust me, I'm a softie at heart but I'm quickly learning to man up as if I want to survive out here I have to!! We all love our craft so that's one thing we all have in common!!

Xxx

Oh you make me chuckle.... I have no time to flower around everything and continually worry what people are going to take personally or emotionally or get the arse about......can you imagine how long I would be on here, longer than normal, I don't have time! ha ha......"man up".......I like that comment it makes me laugh. (PS: I am generally more diplomatic in the workplaces! Being a General Manager in a mans world for many years makes you very mentally strong or you just fail and bow out very quickly through the pressure.)

Wow, i have sat and worked out cost per service and everything else. I am shocked how salons can even stay open around me!! I am under charging by loads, i am definitely going to put my prices rightly. My Service for Shellac should be £23.61. Acrylic's £30.00. Shellac on top acrylic's around £37.00. I haven't quite worked out the D-spere price yet, if someone could help me, it is a 250ml bottle.

That's only those two i have sat and worked out. Haven't managed to do anymore yet. :Scared:

I can't believe the difference.
I still have loads more to reconsider and look over, plus sort some other bits out.

Wow, i have sat and worked out cost per service and everything else. I am shocked how salons can even stay open around me!! I am under charging by loads, i am definitely going to put my prices rightly. My Service for Shellac should be £23.61. Acrylic's £30.00. Shellac on top acrylic's around £37.00. I haven't quite worked out the D-spere price yet, if someone could help me, it is a 250ml bottle.

That's only those two i have sat and worked out. Haven't managed to do anymore yet. :Scared:

I still have loads more to reconsider and look over, plus sort some other bits out.

Knowing the true costings is your first step to becoming a businesswoman. Congrats:D
The difference between those of us that got businesses through this recession, and the majority who didnt is that we charge properly for services, and aren't afraid to.

Well I rink the average shellac is £25 and acrylic enhancements are about the same, plus £5 on top of enhancements for a shellac polish, so your prices aren't far off I don't think!

Knowing the true costings is your first step to becoming a businesswoman. Congrats:D
The difference between those of us that got businesses through this recession, and the majority who didnt is that we charge properly for services, and aren't afraid to.

Well I rink the average shellac is £25 and acrylic enhancements are about the same, plus £5 on top of enhancements for a shellac polish, so your prices aren't far off I don't think!

Thank you both.. I am mortified by how cheap i have been. And thank you for educating me and being able to work it out, if i didn't ask today i wouldn't of found out. Phew.. I doubt my clients will be happy, but if they wish to carry on using me then they must understand i got to make a living to stay opened and going. I can see how easily the industry has slipped and prices dropped, i can't understand how salon's even stay open if their prices were the same as mine :/

It has made me see another point. I guess if i am quiet and not as busy after this change, then so be it, at least i haven't been under selling myself and working for free. (Not that i have been much busy this month).

I'll work out the rest of my costs after some tea :)

Wonder if any of you knew the cost of D-sperse 250ml? I am stuck on that. I may have missed one or two little bits, but i am going to double check everything.

One of the things we provide for our trade customers is the cost per treatment for every facial and body treatment.
How else can people work out whether it's right for their demographic?

They may not be using the full CND range, I spoke about a salon earlier in the thread that I went in for a treatment, this was a Shellac service. They used generic prep products, a non CND lamp, Gelish base coat, Shellac colour, gelish top coat, Sally's inhibition layer remover and Sally's cuticle oil. Their customer service and client care was poor, this is why their prices are low as they are a 'ship em in and ship em out' quickly salon.

You are not like that so attract the clients who would not visit that type of salon, then you can charge more :biggrin:

They may not be using the full CND range, I spoke about a salon earlier in the thread that I went in for a treatment, this was a Shellac service. They used generic prep products, a non CND lamp, Gelish base coat, Shellac colour, gelish top coat, Sally's inhibition layer remover and Sally's cuticle oil. Their customer service and client care was poor, this is why their prices are low as they are a 'ship em in and ship em out' quickly salon.

You are not like that so attract the clients who would not visit that type of salon, then you can charge more :biggrin:

Think i might go undercover and try out some other salons. I never really been to a salon to have much treatments, maybe i should shop about and see what experiences i can see. But yes i can totally see where your coming from now. I think with my prices being more ideal and right, maybe one day i'll be able to save to open my own place, won't be for a long time yet, need to learn loads more. :)

Think i might go undercover and try out some other salons. I never really been to a salon to have much treatments, maybe i should shop about and see what experiences i can see. But yes i can totally see where your coming from now. I think with my prices being more ideal and right, maybe one day i'll be able to save to open my own place, won't be for a long time yet, need to learn loads more. :)

This is what i did when i moved to my current location. I went undercover to the other spas in the area for shellac and facials. more then half of the spas the service was appalling and the shellac wasn't even CND Shellac. Made me think about trying to match their prices! i raised mine higher then their's plus i marketed that i use the FULL CND approved system (listing the steps and products with a link to a shellac tutorial) and you know what?? i gained most of their clients!

Never undercut yourself and never match local competition :)

This is what i did when i moved to my current location. I went undercover to the other spas in the area for shellac and facials. more then half of the spas the service was appalling and the shellac wasn't even CND Shellac. Made me think about trying to match their prices! i raised mine higher then their's plus i marketed that i use the FULL CND approved system (listing the steps and products with a link to a shellac tutorial) and you know what?? i gained most of their clients!

Never undercut yourself and never match local competition :)

Thank you. I am going over it all again to double check i haven't missed a cost per the service. But wow, massive difference, now i know how i wasn't getting anywhere saving money :/ Haha. So glad that i asked thou. Once my prices are set i'll spend any quiet days advertising, they are either gonna choose me or not, like i said at least i'm not working for free anymore. I feel tons better already.

I love how this thread has turned out :biggrin:

Yeah me too! Let us know how you get on!

Popped back in to see how you were getting on....glad all the advice helped you. I have just looked at the S2 brochure...250ml D-Sperse = £xx ...as I haven't ordered from them I believe you may have to add VAT onto this so total cost will be £xx. Unless you are VAT registered (which I doubt you are) make sure your figures all include the VAT amounts, as you can not claim them back you must suffer the extra cost of VAT on your purchases to get a true figure..

Last edited by a moderator:
Popped back in to see how you were getting on....glad all the advice helped you. I have just looked at the S2 brochure...250ml D-Sperse = £2.45.....as I haven't ordered from them I believe you may have to add VAT onto this so total cost will be £2.94. Unless you are VAT registered (which I doubt you are) make sure your figures all include the VAT amounts, as you can not claim them back you must suffer the extra cost of VAT on your purchases to get a true figure..

Oh yes. I do get charged vat. Thank you. Shall try and work out vat for the products now, i usually bulk buy orders of £100 so it should work out straight forward. I'll be pulling my hair out later haha, but i am re-working it all out and shall get my mam to double check over it all just encase i missed anything etc.

Latest posts

Back