Think I have been doing this completely wrong!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I understand, this is my whole moan about opportunists. The daily threads are all the same..."How do I start a business, I'm 16 and I've been qualified a day" ..."Why don't I have any customers...I'm charging £2.00 for a set of acrylics with shellac and 19 FREE infills"..."I have no money saved but have just rented a 15 story building in the heart of London for £10k a week" ........IT'S A JOKE I'M TELLING YOU...A JOKE! ha ha moan over......! I suppose for each six + that fail daily another 6 just take their place! oh well......Keep going old bean! x
I think this may just be the best SG post ever lol.

I just been looking at some of these comments, are you all being sarcastic towards me asking for advice?

I just been looking at some of these comments, are you all being sarcastic towards me asking for advice?

Lol.

No, not at all. Purely generalising on the state of the threads and lack of knowledge required to open a business based on a therapist that can administer a treatment and not much else. Apologies it was my moan and shouldn't have been attached to your particular question. I gave you some advice I hope it helped. Lynne has given a link to a spreadsheet, hopefully that will help you further. I also have a blank management account spread sheet I will try and upload it when I get chance.

No, not at all. Purely generalising on the state of the threads and lack of knowledge required to open a business based on a therapist that can administer a treatment and not much else. Apologies it was my moan and shouldn't have been attached to your particular question. I gave you some advise I hope it helped. Lynne has given a link to a spreadsheet, hopefully that will help you further.

I rather be asking after 4 quiet months than 3 years down the line what I'm doing wrong??? It's lack of knowledge and business advice, I've tried to get on a course but my part time job clashes with the course hours and I've missed them! Okay I should book days off but this job is new I started my part time job in May, obviously over the next two months I could probably be entilited to holidays but then I couldn't as I started! But ATM I've taken loads on and this is my quick opinion is to sit down after work and look over any advice! Before I can get time to enrol onto a course.

I think this may just be the best SG post ever lol.

Well thank you..... I will always be the one to say what everyone else is thinking....!! :D.....( I really hate those smiley faces as well)!!

I charge £25 acrylics £15 shellac plus I'm mobile, my friend said...Honestly, ur not cheaper than all 4 salons i use or the 1 in cwmbran,!! I jus like to use some1 i kno! No I kno thas wha I'm sayin u cud try & re-schedule ur bookings!

Have you thought about mystery shopping these salons?

I did this with a couple very local to me, one was very high end (been open for years, very good reputation) and the other was quite new.

I looked at how they were with me on the phone (first impressions and all that) to how they greeted me, how the therapists were during the treatment, after-care given etc and there were huge differences between the two.

I learnt a lot from the high end salon as the whole customer experience was beautiful and I looked at the practices of the other salon (the therapist didn't even introduce herself, spoke over the nail table to her colleagues when I'm sat in front of her and no after-care given) and knew that I was doing something right already!

Lots of us started at the bottom and worked our way up. Many of us studied business before we started, or realised very quickly that business skills were as important as trade ones.

Not sure if you realise this but there are many, many highly qualified, highly experienced, highly respected, highly successful business women on her who give their time, skills, and knowledge freely. You try getting that in other industries; you'd be looking at about £1500 a day for management consulting.
Try not to get defensive; learn from these people.

I rather be asking after 4 quiet months than 3 years down the line what I'm doing wrong??? It's lack of knowledge and business advice, I've tried to get on a course but my part time job clashes with the course hours and I've missed them! Okay I should book days off but this job is new I started my part time job in May, obviously over the next two months I could probably be entilited to holidays but then I couldn't as I started! But ATM I've taken loads on and this is my quick opinion is to sit down after work and look over any advice! Before I can get time to enrol onto a course.

Don't take it personally. You misunderstand the three year principle, this is for profit and is purely based on a new business - not to wait three years to decide if you are doing it all wrong, this is where management accounts come in to effect!......however please bear in the mind the saying....if the cap fits!

I've taken it the wrong way now because I don't like being taken as a idiot, looking at this topic it has been clogged up with cocky remarks and non constructive feedback! I like to get to the point and issue, I don't wanna be sat reading comments are aren't relevant and piss taking! That's all! So yep I got defensive! Obviously I was going by what others were charging but I also tried not to under charge myself, after 4 months which hasn't been crazy with clients only 30, it has given me a rough guide to look and re think my position and prices etc. I would love to try and be a employee in a salon, but ones I apply for clash with my current job! So I'll keep looking till I can find one that balance, I'm happy to take on advice, but I don't appreciate being made fun of when I am here commenting and being genuine, I only wanted genuine replies back. Not asking for a lot. I appreciate there are highly trained and qualified therapists on here & yes they see loads of underselling therapists who do take the piss out of the industry which makes it harder to keep this industry luxury when others undersell themselves, I may be new but I can also name some salons on my one hand who undersell around me! But I'm clearly stating that I don't wanna be one if those either and I am here because I'm taking my business serious.

It's so funny it's not like any of you started from the bottom and worked you way up! No you've clearly stepped straight into a perfect business And made no mistakes? Isn't it about trail and error, bare in mind I work another two jobs plus this and after 4 slow months I have now have a chance to work it out properly, after having 30clients to work in etc was lovely 4 months too meeting new people! Clearly this forum isn't asking for advice, it's so others like you can try and bully newly qualified therapists out of the industry! If you don't have anything constructive to say then don't open your spoilt mouths and comment! I didn't join the forum to watch others be cocky at my genuine questions! I was asking for some advice, like anyone else. But by the sounds of your comments your just arrogant people who lurk this forum to push others out and make them feel like **** about wanting their own career! Well done!!!

I until recently worked a full time, very stressful Sales & Marketing job, studied for a Level 2 beauty, level 3 massage with lots of CPD and a level 4 PTLLS (all at the same time) and ran a home. I'm now starting back at the bottom (so to speak) with a beauty business in it's infancy, so I can totally empathise with you.

I've taken it the wrong way now because I don't like being taken as a idiot, looking at this topic it has been clogged up with cocky remarks and non constructive feedback! I like to get to the point and issue, I don't wanna be sat reading comments are aren't relevant and piss taking! That's all! So yep I got defensive! Obviously I was going by what others were charging but I also tried not to under charge myself, after 4 months which hasn't been crazy with clients only 30, it has given me a rough guide to look and re think my position and prices etc. I would love to try and be a employee in a salon, but ones I apply for clash with my current job! So I'll keep looking till I can find one that balance, I'm happy to take on advice, but I don't appreciate being made fun of when I am here commenting and being genuine, I only wanted genuine replies back. Not asking for a lot. I appreciate there are highly trained and qualified therapists on here & yes they see loads of underselling therapists who do take the piss out of the industry which makes it harder to keep this industry luxury when others undersell themselves, I may be new but I can also name some salons on my one hand who undersell around me! But I'm clearly stating that I don't wanna be one if those either and I am here because I'm taking my business serious.

Rule one - there is no emotion in business like their are no friends. You have a lot to learn. I'm probably twice your age and am very successful. I have numerous businesses and not all in this industry so please as Lynne quite rightly said...Learn from us.

I until recently worked a full time, very stressful Sales & Marketing job, studied for a Level 2 beauty, level 3 massage with lots of CPD and a level 4 PTLLS (all at the same time) and ran a home. I'm now starting back at the bottom (so to speak) with a beauty business in it's infancy, so I can totally empathise with you.

Taking on work to make ends meet and get your own business started and not knowing where to turn when you need serious help. It does get to a dead end, and like today I actually sat and worked it all out and felt gutted that I haven't made much of a profit, not that it's just about profit as I enjoy it, but ideally with the hours and time I threw in, it felt like I had nothing to show for. But I'm not expecting miracles but at least where I'm asking and looking into it all now it can only get better?

Rule one - there is no emotion in business like their are no friends. You have a lot to learn. I'm probably twice your age and am very successful. I have numerous businesses and not all in this industry so please as Lynne quite rightly said...Learn from us.

I'm happy to learn from you all, hence why I'm still commenting. I'm only 23, so I'm young, but I'd love to be successful and have what I want that I can say is mine. But yes I have a lot to learn, so when I get home from work I'll check out the links etc that has been posted and start.

Taking on work to make ends meet and get your own business started and not knowing where to turn when you need serious help. It does get to a dead end, and like today I actually sat and worked it all out and felt gutted that I haven't made much of a profit, not that it's just about profit as I enjoy it, but ideally with the hours and time I threw in, it felt like I had nothing to show for. But I'm not expecting miracles but at least where I'm asking and looking into it all now it can only get better?

But, you do have something to show for it, you just have to look at things differently to be able to see it.

I've not made much of a monetary profit, but I have more experience, equipment, retail stock, a growing client base and I don't have to buy anything else right now to carry out my treatments so I can see my profit margins now increasing.

I'm happy to learn from you all, hence why I'm still commenting. I'm only 23, so I'm young, but I'd love to be successful and have what I want that I can say is mine. But yes I have a lot to learn, so when I get home from work I'll check out the links etc that has been posted and start.

My point. I am 40 so have probably 20+ years experience in the business world on you.... however that said there are highly respected therapists on here that know far more about the practice and application of treatments than I do, this is where we can all contribute to certain aspects of the industry. You will rarely see me in the nails and hair forums as I leave that to the professionals in their field. I wish you well and hope you get some business understanding from these posts. No one said it was going to be easy...but try and refrain from taking posts personally.

Ok thank you all.

As Lynne says, there is so much info on here and its all free. Just need to read it.
I am currently doing a Level 2 beauty course, and this week we covered some business advice and homework was to create an aftercare sheet. I'm not convinced about the level of tutoring on my course, but that's another thread. What I would like to say is that there are lots of books out there that can help.
My level 2 book cost me ca.£21 and has loads of info that would benefit anyone starting out, so I think anyone can invest in that and work your way through it. It's quite easy to follow. I think some posters don't realise what they are getting from this forum, plus its not just about having info presented on a plate, it's about helping others too.

I have often wondered why people like Lynne take up so much of their time to post advice here, plus all the free documents/tutorials? What motivates people to do that? I'm sure their time is precious too.

Latest posts

Back