To refund or not refund?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckjustpamper

Reaction score
so usually I am pretty good with things like this but I am a bit annoyed with this whole situation....

A lady came to me for gel on toes and lashes for her holiday.

She got back today and has sent me a message saying that her right eye fell out after about two days and all the gel came off her toes so quickly.

I explained that's seems rather strange but with lashes especially it can vary with a full set dependant on the lash cycle sometimes how best sets can last. It doesn't often happen but when it does I would usually apply some extra lashes (obviously couldn't in this case as she was away) but she's left it until now to tell me upon coming home? I never have problems with application and lashes so I am totally dumbfounded with this case... so I haven't offered I refund BUT as a good will gesture I explained with the toes again I haven't had this happen to me but I have had a similar experience on a ladies fingers. Turned out she was allergic to the product I would be more than willing to re do the toes to rule out an allergy along with making sure to see if they last ok. Her response if she's already had them re done this morning and expects a full refund...

I am so accommodating of people sometimes too much so I feel and I feel I am walked over all the time. If I believed I didn't do a service properly then of course I would refund but I generally did everything I was supposed to do and this complaint has fallen 2 weeks after the date of me doing them.

Do I just do the refund or stand my ground? I am concerned as her daughter paid the treatment and her daughter is more in then her but I do feel like my good nature has been taken for granted.

Please help!

Never, ever refund, at the very least you have spent money on products and your time is valuable. Refunding put the client in control and implies an element of 'guilt' on your part. In your situation, I suspect she didn't care for the lashes properly whilst away (I don't do lashes but I guess pool water, suntan lotion, etc. are not a great mix with lash adhesive), and why get the toes redone so soon without letting you rectify the issue???

I see red flags, I would offer to redo the toes (within a certain time frame - not an open ended offer) and maybe one of the Lash Geeks can suggest a way forward with the lashes issue

No, I wouldn't refund as that's admitting liability.

I would say... again, I am very sorry that both your lashes and toes don't seem to work for you on this occasion but I am more than happy to re-do and maybe give her a few available time slots you have free.

Also, you could say "is very unusual for that to occur with both treatments as it's never even happened ONCE with any of my clients. There could be an underlying health issue or some form of hormonal imbalance that might be better getting checked by your doctor.

Hmmmmmm

Did she send you photos of how the lashes & toes looked?

You should be given the chance to put the toes right before she got them redone. I would not refund.

Sounds like she is a pain in the butt, I hope you don't refund her. And don't get bullied into refunding her either. You have handled this very nicely offering her a re do and without proof of her showing you pictures or coming to see the nails or lashes then you are not able to. End of story. She probably got away with this tantrum behaviour once before and thanks it is normal.

Don't refund, you have no idea what she's been doing on holiday, why should you take responsibility!!

I've just had a similar problem with a new client, she had Shellac on her nails and just over a week into her holiday she starts emailing me with a picture saying one had chipped. She went straight for the jugular saying it was disgusting that this had happened after the price she paid and that she felt the therapist who had applied it did not do it properly.

I obviously apologised and went through some of the reasons why this could of happened but she was having non of it, in fact she emailed me every day of her holiday and in every reply I said come back and see us when you get back, she wasn't interested she just wanted a refund!

She is now threatening to tell everyone on Social media what an awful salon we are, I've just sent a polite reply saying we have tried to get you back in and you are not interested, I also mentioned that when she does write her review perhaps she should note that we have 100% good reviews. I've also noticed that she was a pain before she even came for her appointment, I had had several emails from her beforehand as she had booked on line and not had confirmation, which she had!

The biggest problem here is messaging back and forth. I don't deal with any complaints unless they are in front of me or I hear about it over the phone- (both which are very rare for me.) I let them explain in person what happens and that way i can make best of what to do moving forward. It really grips me when people exchange in unnecessary back and forward conversations. Get them in watch them squirm if they are lying, offer no refunds for treatments undertaken, partial refund to cover costs of products used or a redo on the broken nails etc. A service has still been undertaken. only deal with the person and no one else, it is irrelevant without getting all of the facts. In this instance especially since a gift voucher has been used, fundamentally it has been used.

For newbie clients going on holiday especially for lashes and nails i explain about the chlorine, insect repellent, oils, humidity all being factors of a potential breakdown in product for holibobs. I give out no guarantee of longevity on products lasting as it is down to the individual on what they may be doing. swimming- not good for lashes or toes- just by keeping feet in prolonged water creating lifting or debonding the lashes. Educate the clients of risks beforehand that way they understand the precautions they can take. I feel that the individual in this case is trying it especially with two treatments, stick to your guns and dont be bullied by overzealous natures. Good luck xoxo

The biggest problem here is messaging back and forth. I don't deal with any complaints unless they are in front of me or I hear about it over the phone- (both which are very rare for me.) I let them explain in person what happens and that way i can make best of what to do moving forward. It really grips me when people exchange in unnecessary back and forward conversations. Get them in watch them squirm if they are lying, offer no refunds for treatments undertaken, partial refund to cover costs of products used or a redo on the broken nails etc. A service has still been undertaken. only deal with the person and no one else, it is irrelevant without getting all of the facts. In this instance especially since a gift voucher has been used, fundamentally it has been used.

For newbie clients going on holiday especially for lashes and nails i explain about the chlorine, insect repellent, oils, humidity all being factors of a potential breakdown in product for holibobs. I give out no guarantee of longevity on products lasting as it is down to the individual on what they may be doing. swimming- not good for lashes or toes- just by keeping feet in prolonged water creating lifting or debonding the lashes. Educate the clients of risks beforehand that way they understand the precautions they can take. I feel that the individual in this case is trying it especially with two treatments, stick to your guns and dont be bullied by overzealous natures. Good luck xoxo

Indeed :cool:

When I did nails, I always told my clients about caring for their nails and what might cause them to lift or come off. That way they only had themselves to blame if they abused them. I never gave refunds. I did try to rectify things if it kept them happy but only the once. I wasn't about to dole out freebies ad infinitum. I had one woman who used her nails as a screwdriver and immersed them in bleach. I had another who bit them so much she had less than a quarter inch of nail bed. I warned her they'd probably come off but she insisted she wanted them and they did come off. So she didn't get a refund. She knew the risks.

Latest posts

Back