trouble in the salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettyfingers

Reaction score
hi all I'm new to this site as you probably know. Looking for some help, this week i have set up in a hair salon, however they have a problem with the smell of the acrylic as it is making people feel sick. I was wondering if any of you work in a hair salon yourself and know of any acrylic liquids that are of low or no odour and still work well enough to use the one bead method. Obviously i dont want to lose the position there as i have just had an advert in the paper.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Emma

Is there anyway you could consider some sort of extraction device?
I think sometimes that you sacrifice a lot with the low odour monomers....in the past the low odour I have used seemed to lack the strength of traditional monomers.
There are certainly low odour ones you could try....NSI do Aromaspa and Millenium X factor (or something along those lines)....that has decidely less of an aroma.
Good luck with your salon set up!
:Love:

I tried NSI's odourless monomer and wasn't impressed. Have you thought about trying one of the Liquid & Powder systems that use UV light to cure it? Not my cup of tea but it might help. Otherwise, how about a decent gel, there are some nice ones out there now, Brisa and Gel It to name but two.

Jackie

One of the owners of the tanning salon where I rent space has a hereditary lung disease and she is very sensitive to strong odours. I used to use NSI's spa aroma reduced monomer, but have now switched to Creative's Retention coz it works better for me. I have got round the odour problem by purchasing a Breville air purifier from Argos (item number 052/0999). It wasn't expensive and it certainly does the trick. Have a look around for something similar if you don't like the look of that one, but it really does work a treat for us. hope that helps.

How about reducing your odour by employing good practices such as:

1. A metal peddle bin for all disposables.
  2. Never wiping your brush on your paper towel ( this is the biggest single cause of odour in the salon) but only on a lint free pad which has been dampened with sanitizer.
  3. Keeping your dapen dish covered at all times when not in use.
  4. Not using pump dispensers for monomer liquid.
Maybe you are doing some of these things.

Itis possible to do one bead application with any L&P system (but most clients tend to like the pink and white (or soft white) better.
Creative Nail Design Retention+ is a low odour monomer.

I used to work in a Hair and Beauty salon where I was the only nail tech and the hairdressers were always complaining about the smell. Eventually the salon had a bit of a move around so the nail desks were far enough away from the hairdressers (which is better anyway, I was forever having problems with hairdryers blowing my polymer powder everywhere, not to mention extreme temperatures!)

Just a little thought............I bet if who ever complains about the strong odours would soon forget about them if they were having a nice new set of nails on them!:wink2:

Good luck anyway,
HTH. (Not far from me are you!)

thanks all for the great advice and i will certainly be having a look at the air purifiers. Thanks Gigi for your advice i was only ever taught to wipe the brush on the couch roll and never gave a thought to using the sanitizer, will certainly try that method. Never thought bout the fact i had put the used couch roll in her bin which prob caused the lingering odour.

Can anyone tell me more bout the monomer and polymer that sets with the uv, i saw it on a site i was looking at but have no idea how it works.

Thanks All
Emma

I have to say I think they`re taking the p***, how can they moan at your smell when they use perming lotions, hairsprays and the like all day long too. Yours is just a different smell they should be getting used too, after all they won`t do anything about their smells annoying you or your clients will they?
I used to work in a hairdressers and had the ame problem at first but I also had the tiny hairs flying around, problems with their hairdriers occasionally pointing in my direction and the worst problem I had was sitting underneath an antiquated air conditioning unit they insisted on having on which dripped brown particles onto my desk. Needless to say I couldn`t carry on working there cos they couldn`t place my desk anywhere else!
That said, there are loads of products out there that are low odour and as Geeg said, its quite easy to reduce the smell just by changing the way you work so thats the first thing to do.
The UV L&P is an acrylic that goes on similar to gel and cures under a UV lamp but if you`re happy with your product why change?
Try your housekeeping, ask them to have a bit of patience and I`m sure you`ll all be fine, good luck!

Sounds like your paper will be the no 1 cause (as per usual).

I don't agree that the hairdressers should just 'get used to it'. There does not have to be any smell. If you think about it, your dappen dish is only open for 10 minutes usually maximum. It is the wiping that causes the problem and the liquid spreading in the tissue. Get that metal bin and the odour from your waste will be reduced by 70-80% truthfully.

Learning to wipe your brush on a dampened pad is also better for you. It helps you to keep your wrist out of any liquid on the paper and the damp pad draws the liquid into the pad and sort of traps it there. Throw away after use in the matal bin. When you open that bin to empty it later, you will immediately know where your odour was coming from.

Until I did my Creative Masters, I wasn't as efficient in my application and therefore there was a strong smell of monomer. I am now much more efficient in my working and there is hardly any smell of monomer in my home salon. Follow Gigi's advice and you'll see a big difference.

Cheers for all the advice I am there full time from monday so i will let you know if i manage to cure it with all the advise given, Thanks again everyone.

Emma xxx

Latest posts

Back