Trying to find work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ghgfrhngfh

Last edited:
Thank you, Eviestyle. I haven't heard anything from them. It's been over a week, so I suppose it's a big fat "no". They did say they'd call me either way, but...oh well. I may try giving them a call on Tuesday, but I guess I already know what the answer will be. I've about reached the end of my patience with this fruitless job search. It really doesn't help my confidence and mood. ):

Thank you, Eviestyle. I haven't heard anything from them. It's been over a week, so I suppose it's a big fat "no". They did say they'd call me either way, but...oh well. I may try giving them a call on Tuesday, but I guess I already know what the answer will be. I've about reached the end of my patience with this fruitless job search. It really doesn't help my confidence and mood. ):

Still routin' for you! I know how you feel though. My search seemed endless. Hang in there!

Still routin' for you! I know how you feel though. My search seemed endless. Hang in there!

Thank you. I'm really considering mobile hairdressing. I know people will say I need to get salon experience before doing so, but look how that's going! :\

Thank you. I'm really considering mobile hairdressing. I know people will say I need to get salon experience before doing so, but look how that's going! :\

Dont give up. You'll find something. Maybe you need to just find a temp job until something good comes along.
Let me see if I can help you How do you feel your interviews are going? Is there something you feel that keeps you from being hired?Are you confident?
Might just be a matter of being patient but let me know if I can help.

Dont give up. You'll find something. Maybe you need to just find a temp job until something good comes along.
Let me see if I can help you How do you feel your interviews are going? Is there something you feel that keeps you from being hired?Are you confident?
Might just be a matter of being patient but let me know if I can help.

Self-confidence has always been a problem of mine. I'm shy, and I have a big problem with nerves. I'm trying to not let these things get in the way, but I can't magically turn them off.

I've only been given two interviews so far, and I think they both went okay. The second, with the trade test went well. They liked my highlights, they said the cut was "amazing", and seemed to like me and my work overall. They did have other candidates, so I guess they went with someone more experienced.

What's getting me down is that people from my college in North Carolina have been getting jobs before they've even graduated, and here I am, nine months after graduating and STILL unemployed. All the salons I've spoken to want years of experience, and I just don't have that. I couldn't get a job after graduating in NC because the state board messed up with my temporary licence, and I didn't get it until the day before I got my real one! I think the industry here is different to that in the USA, or NC at least. Salons in NC seem to be much more willing to take on college graduates because EVERYONE has to go to college, and take the same state exams to become a cosmetologist. Here...they want experience and seem reluctant to take on college trained students. I've read more than enough threads on here to understand why. My college training just wasn't like that, though. It was very good.

I've had my CV/resume checked by several people, and all have said it's fine, so I don't think I have any problems there. I think my main downfall is lack of experience, but how am I meant to get any if no-one will give me a chance? I can't work for free.... I've been applying to other kinds of jobs too, but I think they see that I'm a hairdresser and jump to the conclusion that I won't be sticking with them very long, so there's no point in hiring me. That doesn't help with my lack of salon experience, either.

It's such a depressing mess. ): It's really seeming like employment is just not going to work out for me, and I should go self-employed. It can't really hurt, at the very least.

Thank you for your support...I do appreciate it a lot.

Are you shooting too high somewhere? Maybe type of salon? Just an idea..

One thing Ive noticed about me that I always have to be aware of is that I can easily show my faults too much because I am hard on myself. Dont EVER give more info than asked. And if you have to, put a positive spin on it.

Example: I have bounced around jobs a bit and that looks bad on my resume. I do want to stay somewhere but Ive gone through some tough times. But having worked in different types of salons have given me so much insight on the business aspects of the industry. I know exactly what works and what doesnt as far as client retention and employee satisfaction. So thats how I put it. And I believe it too.

For me confidence was a learned thing. It came from a place where I know that I have a lot to offer and if you dont want to give me a chance, I dont need you anyways. Everyone has faults-even experienced people. And you wonder why some faulty people get jobs and some dont? Ignorance is bliss. Dont remember what you think youve done wrong. And dont see them as faults. They have been experiences that have caused you to know even more now!! You have fresh talent to offer! Fresh talent is more motivated and brings life to the workplace. Even with your lack of experience, you said your training was good. Make sure they hear that. And maybe you are a dedicated person. Find those qualities about yourself and believe them so much that it will really show when you present yourself.

Be yourself, have a positive attitude and show your willingness to learn.

Someone out there wants you, we just have to find them:) I pray to our good Father in heaven that He gives it to you soon:)

Have you got a small portfolio?

Are you only applying for jobs that advertise?

Have you tried offering your services unpaid maybe a few days a week?

When I started my business I had no experience and had never worked for a salon.

Sometimes you just have to get out there and do it for yourself.

If you are good you will survive.

Don't limit yourself my lovely, seriously consider mobile work and be brilliant at what you do.

You can still apply for salon work if you wish but hopefully you will do well on your own.

Remember this - Fake it 'til you make it.

No matter bow shy you are, or how inexperienced you are ... keep it to yourself, don't tell anyone, and act as if you have been cutting hair for ages!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you Eviestyle, mm29 and jacquelineanna. Your words are greatly appreciated.

I have been applying to all kinds of salons, but the result is always the same. I do have a portfolio, but I get rejected before I've had a chance to show it! I've applied to every salon that's advertising, and walked into many. I unfortunately cannot work for free because of the Jobcentre. I'm receiving Jobseeker's Allowance, and I've been told by them that any unpaid work I do could be seen as work 'that should have been paid', and it could affect my claim. Ho-hum.

I really think I need to try mobile hairdressing. I am tired of being rejected, so I think I need to stop offering myself to employers and work for myself. I have nothing to lose at this point by trying, so I think I will do it. I'm actually a more confident person when left to do things myself - it's when I have people watching over me and telling me what to do that I lose my confidence. The only thing I'm concerned about is my haircolour knowledge, but if I really study up on it in my textbook and go on courses, I think I'll be okay. After all, people from my college went immediately into booth renting in America, and they're doing just fine.

So, yeah. Thank you. You've given me inspiration and confidence to go out on my own and make it happen. I'll let you know how it works out.

Im sure you will do great:) Experience comes with practice. Write down your clients formulas and the natural level they started with. That way you can look back and remember what works. Do it right away. You think youll remember, you wont lol.
I also get messed up when people watch me..Im a rare introverted stylist:(
Ill send you my number and email in case you need any help. What color line will you be using?

Im sure you will do great:) Experience comes with practice. Write down your clients formulas and the natural level they started with. That way you can look back and remember what works. Do it right away. You think youll remember, you wont lol.
I also get messed up when people watch me..Im a rare introverted stylist:(
Ill send you my number and email in case you need any help. What color line will you be using?

Thanks!

Oh, I'm a stickler for keeping records...haha. I used to write down in great detail what I did on clients at college, whereas some other students would just write "color" and leave the next poor student to figure out the shades used.

I'll be using Matrix. It's what I used in college, I like it, and a wholesaler near here stocks it. It's on the pricier side, but I consider it to be high quality, and they do say "you get what you pay for".

Thank you Eviestyle, mm29 and jacquelineanna. Your words are greatly appreciated.

I have been applying to all kinds of salons, but the result is always the same. I do have a portfolio, but I get rejected before I've had a chance to show it! I've applied to every salon that's advertising, and walked into many. I unfortunately cannot work for free because of the Jobcentre. I'm receiving Jobseeker's Allowance, and I've been told by them that any unpaid work I do could be seen as work 'that should have been paid', and it could affect my claim. Ho-hum.

I really think I need to try mobile hairdressing. I am tired of being rejected, so I think I need to stop offering myself to employers and work for myself. I have nothing to lose at this point by trying, so I think I will do it. I'm actually a more confident person when left to do things myself - it's when I have people watching over me and telling me what to do that I lose my confidence. The only thing I'm concerned about is my haircolour knowledge, but if I really study up on it in my textbook and go on courses, I think I'll be okay. After all, people from my college went immediately into booth renting in America, and they're doing just fine.

So, yeah. Thank you. You've given me inspiration and confidence to go out on my own and make it happen. I'll let you know how it works out.

It sounds like you are trying to turn a negative into a positive and I am so wishing and hoping that you make it!!

Give it everthing you can give, be prepared to work long hours, umderstand good customer care without being taken advantage of, and be brillliant. If you don't know something research it or come on here and ask ... someone will help you :hug:

Eviestyle: I didn't see your response before I wrote my post ... it is really kind of you to offer to help Wombats. I hope Karma works as it should xx

Latest posts

Back