Urgent advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traynor

Reaction score
Hi i had a lady buy a gift voucher back in March for her mum for mothers day, the mum has phoned me to make an appointment but unfortunately the day she wants I'm not working as it's my nan's funeral. I have offered her lots of other days/times but she works full time and is not very flexible. The daughter is now threatening me with legal action if i don't refund her money as 'i should be able to provide a service convenient to my customer'. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Is the voucher still in date? And have you told her it's your nan's funeral?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yes it's valid til next march, and yes I've told her about funeral she said that's not her problem! I only work part time so it's difficult.

Just reply and say the voucher can only be validated on your set days which do not include your annual leave days. Apologies for any inconvenience and say she has till March to use the voucher.

She's had since march to use this voucher, plenty of time to organise an appointment! I would NOT refund or worry about legal action! I'm sure clients think we rum charities! You wouldnt attempt going to a high street shop with an expired voucher, nor threaten legal action! I would possibly extend the expiry date for another week or two out of good will x

I agree with what pixiebeauty has said. I don't think they'd have a leg to stand on if they did try the legal action route. The voucher is still valid for a good 6 months so its not like she hasn't still got time to use it.

xxx

Just suppose you were working on that day but you were booked solid, would she threaten legal action then? I doubt it.

Just reply and say the voucher can only be validated on your set days which do not include your annual leave days. Apologies for any inconvenience and say she has till March to use the voucher.

Didn't realise or was still.in date, just reply like this! Some people are nuts lol! Its not your problem either if she works full time!!

You would have probably been better telling her you were full that day. But hindsight is a great thing and you don't imagine people to react like that.

I don't think she has a leg to stand on at all.

You would have probably been better telling her you were full that day. But hindsight is a great thing and you don't imagine people to react like that.

I don't think she has a leg to stand on at all.

Very good point. I'm going to remember that one. It's surely better to say I don't have any apps that day rather than reveal why - after all it's none of their business. Plus it pre-empts the "can't you just squeeze me in?" conversation.

Good luck, stand your ground. If they continue to behave like this, chances are she won't want to book with you then you've got to be prepared for the old 'since she was unable to book with you we deserve a refund' nonsense...

Thanks for advice I don't think I should refund her but I'm worried if she then goes and bad mouths me, do I really want that? Hubby says just give her refund but I don't think I should? I'm so confused lol I don't like that she has threatened me, I've never had anything like this in my 8 years 😞

Thanks for advice I don't think I should refund her but I'm worried if she then goes and bad mouths me, do I really want that? Hubby says just give her refund but I don't think I should? I'm so confused lol I don't like that she has threatened me, I've never had anything like this in my 8 years 😞

Depends what your gut feeling is. If you think they are just trying to be pushy then fine. If they are threatening all sorts then as I said above, I doubt she will really want to sit through an appt with you - not very relaxing is it? Then the time comes when they blame you for invalidating it & expect a pay up.

If you think they will turn into a nightmare, I'd politely refund and ask they never bother you again. It's not worth the hassle is it? I'm starting to think vouchers aren't, to be honest! Unless its a voucher for an existing client, it seems to me to present more problems than its worth...

the trouble is if you give in to one then you open the floodgates for others!!

No way would I give her a refund on a voucher that she still has several months validity on.

It's not your problem if her mother can only do one day out of a whole year. As already mentioned we wouldn't do this in a high street shop.

As for her bad mouthing you, on what grounds? You haven't told her you can't do it full stop. It's her mothers problem, not yours. She seriously won't have a leg to stand on if she tries the legal route. Also she would sound ridiculous bad mouthing you for the said reasons.

We are professional here and you will get others throughout your career who will try it on believe me. Time to stand your ground I'm afraid.
It's not like she's asked for lots of different dates and you have said no to all of them. Or there's nothing available before the voucher expires. If this were the case I would say yes, but on everything you have said, it's a definite no IMO.

That is disgusting, where is this woman's compassion!?! Sending you :hug: regarding your nan.

I would not refund, nor would I worry about legal action.
You have given her adequate options with the alternative days and it is her problem that she cannot do another day.

Very good point. I'm going to remember that one. It's surely better to say I don't have any apps that day rather than reveal why - after all it's none of their business. Plus it pre-empts the "can't you just squeeze me in?" conversation.

Good luck, stand your ground. If they continue to behave like this, chances are she won't want to book with you then you've got to be prepared for the old 'since she was unable to book with you we deserve a refund' nonsense...

Yes I always used to get caught out with the "can you just squeeze me in" question! Now I always say I have appts - whether its an appt or a personal thing. It sounds better and stops that pressure.

I agree - stand your ground hon! legal action! Laughable! On what grounds, your not refusing to valdiate the voucher!

Don't worry about the legal action talk, that is all it is, talk.

You wouldnt expect tesco to open especially for a client to use a voucher and they defiantly wouldn't do it either.

Just advise you are not available and give them dates and times you can do, no refund. End of.

Concentrate on being with your your family and this difficult time.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

Laugh at her histerically and tell her to bug off!

Under no circumstances should you refund! I wouldn't worry about her bad mouthing (as another poster said, she'd sound ridiculous) and legal action? They'd laugh at her! The woman obviously has no heart, I would never dream of kicking up a fuss when someone is already going through a difficult time. She says it's not her problem that you have a funeral, just as it's not your problem that she works full time. Some customers you just can't please! Hugs for you and try not to let this woman bother you, karma will sort her out...!

I'm completely shocked by her reaction as well.. The voucher is good for a long time still, threatening with legal action is downright silly.... I know a girl who had to wait MONTHS to redeem her voucher at a salon here in town because they were just too busy. I wouldn't refund either.. You can offer her other days and times so sounds a bit fishy.

Latest posts

Back