UV Gel burning!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I need help with the NSI gel. I got a sample kit from NSI to try the product, i used it on my daughter, as per instructions on dvd, but when i put the finger in the UV lamp she said its really burning, like its on fire. I had to stop using it immediately. I used a 36 watt professional uv lamp, and followed the cure times.

Am puzzled why this happened, can anyone help?!!!!

I had my Brisal gel training yesterday and we were advised that most of the time if the client experiences burning under a UV lamp it is because we have filed the natural nail too much rather than just gently taking the shine off.
I'm not saying that this is your reason but it is one of the main causes

HTHs
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi it maybe a combination of both I think it is very common when starting out (sorry to assume your starting out this may not be the case)to over file but you may also have applied the product to thick.Try a very tin layer first cure and apply it slightly thicker. Build as you go. Hope this helps.:)

Thank you for your reply.

I only put a small layer on builder gel, then cured for 60 seconds, then put the rest of the gel on, and then put under the uv lamp, and its was burning her badly.

I dont know where i have gone wrong?

I need help with the NSI gel. I got a sample kit from NSI to try the product, i used it on my daughter, as per instructions on dvd, but when i put the finger in the UV lamp she said its really burning, like its on fire. I had to stop using it immediately. I used a 36 watt professional uv lamp, and followed the cure times.

Am puzzled why this happened, can anyone help?!!!!

All gels have higher or lower levels of photo initiators, and all gel products are specifically formulated to work with the UV lamp developed for that gel system.
Why does it burn?
- UV output is much higher than necessary, over-curing can occur and the product can overheat (due to excessive exothermic reaction)
- product was applied too thickly
- over filing of the natural nail (over prepping)

IMO gel training is of upmost importance to gain understanding and knowledge of how gel chemistry works.

If a client experiences heat spike like this they can put their hand just in front of the lamp for a few seconds first, or they can pop it in and out of the lamp a few times.

I agree with Andrea's reasons above, and also some people seem to have more sensitive nail plates than others, so may feel heat when others don't.

When I did my gel training I vividly recall the teacher doing a set of nails on her model before we were allowed to do our gels, and when she put the models hands under the UV light the lady got a heat spike, went to withdraw her hands but the teacher grabbed her hands and held them under the lamp (for some reason she didn't want those new to gel to know heat spike was a possibility)... Go figure!?
When I asked her later what specifically was causing these heat spikes she told me I filed too much - which I know I didn't. And I remember thinking this lady is a pro and her model still got heat spike and she didn't over file either.

What I get from that is it has less to do with filing and more to do with the person's individual nail strength and their level of pain tolerance, as well as the thickness of product applied. The 2nd thicker layer gets a heat spike while the first thin layer usually doesn't. Some people feel heat spike more readily than others and to varying degrees while others feel nothing or only on certain fingers.

The first time I ever had gel enhancements the nail tech told me to gently tap my fingers while still in the lamp if it began to feel hot on my nails. It never felt hot. She kept asking me throughout the treatment and said I must have strong nails.

At college the other week 1 of my nails started getting a bit hot but not burning. I did the tapping thing and it went away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Hun,
I trained my gels with NSI. We were told all about heat spike, yes it can be over filed nails, or a client with just thinner nail plates.
We were taught to ask the client if they felt any heat, told to get them to with draw their hand from the lamp and either tap their fingers on top of the lamp or just press the fingers tips down on the top of the lamp, the gel won't go anywhere as it will already of had at lest 10 seconds before the client has felt the heat spike. So it has already had freeze time.
Think of the gel setting under the lamp like microwaves, the gel molecules are wizzing around setting, this is what causes heat.
You are doing nothing wrong, so don't be put off.
Try again and be ready to take the hand out of the lamp, another way is to ask client to put hand just outside lamp for 1st 20 seconds or so, then fully into the lamp.
I now use Brisa too, different gel less heat spike due to the different make up of Brisa Gels.
But you will be just fine with NSI Balance gels.
Best wishes, hope this is of some help.
Lotsa luv x :hug: :hug: x

Thank you so much for the great advice.

Im just put off doing gels, and more than that im feeling scared to do them, just in case it start burning again.

Its getting the courage to have another go thats the problem.

Thank again.

The reasons for the burning sensation have been well covered. I would just add that some gels tend to have higher heat spikes than others.

If your client complains of burning, take the affected finger and squeeze either side of the nail for a few seconds quite hard. You won't hurt her, but I was told by a friend (who's an Educator) that the burning sensation will stop quickly - until the next time anyway!!

Alternatively stamp on her foot - then she won't feel the pain in her fingers!

Oh God, I need a weekend!

Hi,

I use NSI Balance Gels and when clients get heat spike i always say to them to take their nails out and tap it on a hard surface (either the top of the lamp or the table) and this ALWAYS works. It is usually the difference between the thickness of peoples nail plates so don't worry it may not be something you have done wrong, but make sure you are literally just taking the shine off the natural nail and then you can eliminate that it's not something you have done wrong.

HTH's :)

xxx

Im learning gels using NSI and I'm practising on my trainer hand and myself...i've suffered the burning sometimes too, and I when I looked at the nails that did it, the product was thicker on them

The heat is caused from the friction of the molecules in the gel moving together quickly during the polymerization process. Some gels have more photo initiators than others, it depends upon the system and the particular gel you are using. You can remove the nails from the UV light after 3 - 4 seconds to slow down the molecules before it gets hot, have your client wait 3 seconds and when they replace the hand into the light the molecules tend to move slower because the gel has already begun to solidify.

Also, the thicker you apply the gel the more chance of heat because there will be more molecules moving. The thinner the natural nail is the more sensitive the client will be because there will be less of a barrier between the gel and the nerves in the nail bed. And if you are doing a fill in, the product remaining on the nail will also form a barrier so there will be little to no heat.

If you get to know and understand the products you are using and how they work you will know when/if there may be a heat spike depending on the situation and you will know how to avoid it.

When the UV gel is burning (I.e heat spike) You remove the hand very quickly from the lamp and put it back on straight away this stops the burning sensation.

Latest posts

Back