Wax allergies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs I

Reaction score
Hi. I have taken allergic reactions to 3 different types of cool/warm wax. Is it worth trying hot wax? Is that better for those with sensitive skin? Im currently in my first year studying beauty therapy at college and my lecturers have confirmed that it is an allergic reaction to the wax. Thanks in advance for your help

What symptoms do you get?

Certainly worth trying a type of wax where you put talc or oil on the skin before the wax which would act as a barrier.

I've been waxing for over 25 years and I've never seen anyone be allergic to the actual wax. It's in contact with the skin for only moments. Some people can have a big release of histamine though - which looks like nettle rash.

Do you have other allergies?

I go red itchy hot bumpy swollen. Im not sure if its hives. We cleanse the skin, put talc on then the wax. I got my legs done last week with a pink wax my legs broke out all red bumpy hot itchy swollen. Got my underarms done on monday with lavender wax and on my underarms and wrists where i tested temp of wax i am red swollen itchy hot and bumpy. Its so itchy i feel like i could tear the skin off with scratching. Ive been taking antihistamines and putting savlon and e45 itch relief cream on. I hardly slept last night it was unbelievably itchy :(

I took a reaction 2 years ago to honey wax on my eyebrows. I ended up on steroid cream and steroid tablets, antihistamines, cold compresses. It was so red hot and swollen i looked like i had 4 eyelids it was so badly swollen :(

You poor thing. Sounds like a histamine release due to an allergy to some specific ingredient. I wonder what..

Try using HC45 which has 1% hydrocortisone in it to counteract the reaction. Piriteze too.
Perhaps you should consult your doctor?

Thank u ive got some hydrocortisone so il try that. Will get booked in with my dr and ask their advice

It's usually a reaction to rosin in the wax. If you're allergic to plasters, then it will definitely be the rosin. It's the most common allergen in wax. Peron Rigot do a rosin free wax which may be worth trying.

Vic x

Hi i am allergic to plasters, i didnt realise the same ingredients were in both

Try PR Crystalline. My friend is allergic to all waxes after having a plaster on her c section scar and I wax her with this and it's fine. It's rosin free.

It's usually a reaction to rosin in the wax. If you're allergic to plasters, then it will definitely be the rosin. It's the most common allergen in wax. Peron Rigot do a rosin free wax which may be worth trying.

Vic x

Aw I didn't know this! I'm not allergic to all but some plasters x

Vic x

So glad I came across this! I have one client who has reacted to my wax twice (obviously I won't be waxing her again!). I'll need to ask her next to me about plasters, what a useful thing to know, thanks Vic!

Have you looked at the simply soy wax free option by clean and easy?

Latest posts

Back