What Are Your Goals?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a hobby or a profession?
Both really
When do you intend to start working either full time or part time as a proper, grown up tech?
I don't ever want to grow up, But do work part time
Do you want your own salon?
No too much hassle for me
Do you want to be mobile?
I am mobile and home based
Do you want to be home based?
Just answered this above lol
What's stopping you?
Nothing is stopping me, But I do suffer with a longterm illness that can get in the way at times.
How do you intend to achieve your goal?
Education and Confidence
When do you plan to achieve your goal?
I am always working towards being the best I can be
Come on geeks !!!! Let's motivate each other. Just putting it down in writing will give you the kick start that you need.[/QUOTE]

Nail FX said:
Firstly like to say - great thread Kimmi ;)

Oh and btw Kimmi ... I tried to give you a positive rep point for this excellent thought provoking thread, but as you must have had SO many, I wasnt allowed so I will send you a pressie instead ;)

Oh thank you anyway................the thought was there. I love pressies so it's a win win situation for me. xxx

Kimmi Rocks said:
You do. All you have to do is plan and really put your mind to it. xx

Aw, thanks Kimmi. It's nice to have some support. I've got so much to do & have made my plans to get me started. Main thing is I want to work around the world before acting like a grown up & settling down.

This is such a positive thread, just what we need in this uncertain time x :hug:

hobby or profession....
both i live and breath nails....lol

fulltime or part time
as fulltime as i can get with 3 boys to look after
but basically 3 full days and 4 evenings a week, have been charging full wack scince january 2005 in the deep end and i am glad i did....sorted the nerves out....lol

open a salon
at the moment i am concentrating on being a good nail technician and business woman i want my business from home/mobile to be professional and unstereo-typical, offering out of hours to woman who are prepared to pay for a personalised service.

at the moment my goals apart from the above this year is education the more i can get whilst my kids are growing up the more successfull i will be when i eventually turn my little business into a fulltime dream. (or when they bring national service back so my boys will leave home.....ooh to dream)...only joking :wink2:

how will i fulfill this goal
to plough as much back in dosh so i can keep affording the best education i can get.....even if it means eating bread and drippin.

when do i plan to fullfill this dream,
i dont think i can fullfill it the industry is getting better and changing all the time, so therefore you have to keep on learning...constantly to get better yourself, and the better you get the more goals you will want to fullfill ......you just go on and on and on , which is a good thing as static just makes you stagnent

What are your goals
Ultimately to make a real living out of doing nails. Tied up within that is being a fantastic Nail Tech, producing top notch nails and offering a service that is different to your run of the mill nail bar.

Also, a new goal for me (that I haven't told anyone about yet) I want to enter a a nail competition.....

Profession

When do you intend to start working either full time or part time as a proper, grown up tech?
I've been working for myself as a Nail Technician since January 2005, and it is my only job - although most weeks I'm not busy enough yet to be classed full-time!

Don't know yet, but I think so

I am mobile at the mo

Would do if I had the space

What's stopping you?
Money, and needing more clients. Comp-wise I'm too scared..... I've only been doing nails for 1 year, and can't believe I have anywhere near the skill I need to compete.

I've just taken on renting a room above my local hairdressers. I am keeping my own business identity and taking on the salon's clients. So, I am testing whether I can mix mobile and salon based an d whether the salon's client base makes me profit after rent. I'm also going to investigate this competing thing - how good I need to be, etc.

I have to be making a living by December 2005 or I need a job! I took redundancy after 16 years in my previous job and we gave me a year to make a go of nails before my redundancy cheque runs out!

You have really made me sit and think Kimmie, and evaluate where I am going. With your life coaching skills if you can offer anything to help me, I'd be really grateful!

QUALIFIED I NOV 04. DO ABOUT 10 PEOPLE REGULARLY. ONLY TROUBLE IS I'M SLOW!!! TAKES ME ABOUT 3 HOURS TO DO A FULL SET!!!! NOW I DONT KNOW WHETHER THIS IS BECAUSE MY CLIENTS ARE MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND THEY NEVER STOP TALKING! OR WHETHER I AM JUST DESTINED TO BE SLOW.

TROUBLE IS I AM A PERFECTIONIST. AND TO BE QUITE HONEST MY NAILS ARE DAMN GOOD (A FULL SET CAN LAST 3 WEEKS WITH MINOR, AND I MEAN ONLY MINOR LIFTING. OBVIOUSLY IF THE CLENTS NAILS GROW SUPER FAST THEN THEY NEED DOING SOONER, AND I TRY TO MAKE ALL MY CLIENTS RE-BOOK EVERY FORTNIGHT. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE WHEN PEOPLE ARE SKINT, THEY LIKE TO STRETCH IT OUT AS LONG AS THEY CAN.

BASICALLY I AM GOING TO UNIVERSITY IN SEPTEMBER TO STUDY MY FIRST PASSION, MUSIC! WELL POPULAR MUSIC AND RECORD PRODUCTION ACTUALLY!! AND I AM HOPING TO START UP MY OWN NAIL BUSINESS TO FUND MY STUDIES AS I AM SERIOUSLY IN LOVE WITH NAILS (DEFINATLEY MY SECONF PASSION - ASIDE FROM MEN). PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO?

DO I RENT A CHAIR IN A SALON ON THE DAYS I'M NOT IN UNI?

THIS WAY I WILL HAVE THE BROAD CLIENTELLE BASE AND GET SALON EXPERIENCE. ONLY PROBLEM BEING TIME. (ANY TIP VERY VERY WELCOME)

OR SET UP MOBILE/HOME BASED (AS I DO HAVE A CAR) AND NOT HAVE AS MUCH OUT LAY?

ONLY THIS WAY I WILL NOT BE AS WELL ADVERTISED AND WON'T HAVE A READY MADE CLIENT BASE. PLUS I WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AS A TECH AND NOT THOUGHT OF AS I PART-TIMER STUDENT OUT TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK!!

NEED ADVICE GUYS

PLEASE HELP!!!

AND IF ANYONE HAS GOT ANY TIPS ON GETTING MY TIME DOWN I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THEM!!!!!

Well i have been through absolute hell the last couple of months, in short, i had a little salon which i absolutely loved, rented two nail stations out to 2 girls (who i thought were friends) my landlord decided to put my rent up by 50% !! i had no written lease agreement with him so i was stuffed basically with no alternative but to close my salon and work from home again. Next thing i know i find out that the 2 girls i had working in the salon had taken on the rent, but they presumed they could keep the salons name! When i told them they couldnt as it was my business name, i had bank accounts etc. things turned very nasty, they had a full scale shouting match and were threatening me in the salon in front of clients! I obviously couldnt have this behaviour in my salon so i told them to leave, which they ignored, so i took a few friends, 2 of which are ex police, and we cleared the salon out the next afternoon, including all their equipment which was going to be dumped on their doorsteps the very next day. I didnt get a chance to deliver their stuff back to them as i was arested by the police for theft at 9.30am the next day ( in front of my children)and spent 10 hours locked up in a police cell. The 2 girls promtly moved their furniture into my salon, registered the business name to them and basically stole my business that day.

I have since found out that they had been opening my mail and phoned my phone company pretending to be me and had the details on the phone account changed, but not the payment datails!

I was released on bail and nearly had a breakdown but was determined not to let them get the better of me and i have since had a letter from the police saying they ( the police)are not taking any further action against me, so i,m in the clear thank god.

So to come back to your question, what motivates me? Well,, the best way to get revenge is to be succesfull, and i bloody well will if it kills me!!! I won 1st place at excel last year (funnily enough the girls wern't there to support me then) and i'm entering at earls court in sept, so , wish me luck !

My goal is to become a Grand Master. I'm an L&P master at the mo and ive booked my first Brisa course then ill do fabric and spa man and ped, then who knows!
My 'experience' has made me a stronger, not so nieve person so i can actually thank them for that. I don't think they know about this web site but i wish they did so i could reveal them! Sorry i rambled on but its felt good to get it out, kind of therapy, so thank you to anyone who actually read this! xx

but it has only made me all the more determined to turn my ambitions into reality.

nailcrazee! said:
QUALIFIED I NOV 04. DO ABOUT 10 PEOPLE REGULARLY. ONLY TROUBLE IS I'M SLOW!!! TAKES ME ABOUT 3 HOURS TO DO A FULL SET!!!! NOW I DONT KNOW WHETHER THIS IS BECAUSE MY CLIENTS ARE MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND THEY NEVER STOP TALKING! OR WHETHER I AM JUST DESTINED TO BE SLOW.

TROUBLE IS I AM A PERFECTIONIST. AND TO BE QUITE HONEST MY NAILS ARE DAMN GOOD (A FULL SET CAN LAST 3 WEEKS WITH MINOR, AND I MEAN ONLY MINOR LIFTING. OBVIOUSLY IF THE CLENTS NAILS GROW SUPER FAST THEN THEY NEED DOING SOONER, AND I TRY TO MAKE ALL MY CLIENTS RE-BOOK EVERY FORTNIGHT. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE WHEN PEOPLE ARE SKINT, THEY LIKE TO STRETCH IT OUT AS LONG AS THEY CAN.

BASICALLY I AM GOING TO UNIVERSITY IN SEPTEMBER TO STUDY MY FIRST PASSION, MUSIC! WELL POPULAR MUSIC AND RECORD PRODUCTION ACTUALLY!! AND I AM HOPING TO START UP MY OWN NAIL BUSINESS TO FUND MY STUDIES AS I AM SERIOUSLY IN LOVE WITH NAILS (DEFINATLEY MY SECONF PASSION - ASIDE FROM MEN). PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO?

DO I RENT A CHAIR IN A SALON ON THE DAYS I'M NOT IN UNI?

THIS WAY I WILL HAVE THE BROAD CLIENTELLE BASE AND GET SALON EXPERIENCE. ONLY PROBLEM BEING TIME. (ANY TIP VERY VERY WELCOME)

OR SET UP MOBILE/HOME BASED (AS I DO HAVE A CAR) AND NOT HAVE AS MUCH OUT LAY?

ONLY THIS WAY I WILL NOT BE AS WELL ADVERTISED AND WON'T HAVE A READY MADE CLIENT BASE. PLUS I WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AS A TECH AND NOT THOUGHT OF AS I PART-TIMER STUDENT OUT TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK!!

NEED ADVICE GUYS

PLEASE HELP!!!

AND IF ANYONE HAS GOT ANY TIPS ON GETTING MY TIME DOWN I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THEM!!!!!

I think you need to get your speeds up. Then you could think about renting in a salon but don't forget how much time will be taken up with studying, especially in the third year. Good luck. xx

Kate Rickeard said:
Well i have been through absolute hell the last couple of months, in short, i had a little salon which i absolutely loved, rented two nail stations out to 2 girls (who i thought were friends) my landlord decided to put my rent up by 50% !! i had no written lease agreement with him so i was stuffed basically with no alternative but to close my salon and work from home again. Next thing i know i find out that the 2 girls i had working in the salon had taken on the rent, but they presumed they could keep the salons name! When i told them they couldnt as it was my business name, i had bank accounts etc. things turned very nasty, they had a full scale shouting match and were threatening me in the salon in front of clients! I obviously couldnt have this behaviour in my salon so i told them to leave, which they ignored, so i took a few friends, 2 of which are ex police, and we cleared the salon out the next afternoon, including all their equipment which was going to be dumped on their doorsteps the very next day. I didnt get a chance to deliver their stuff back to them as i was arested by the police for theft at 9.30am the next day ( in front of my children)and spent 10 hours locked up in a police cell. The 2 girls promtly moved their furniture into my salon, registered the business name to them and basically stole my business that day.

I have since found out that they had been opening my mail and phoned my phone company pretending to be me and had the details on the phone account changed, but not the payment datails!

I was released on bail and nearly had a breakdown but was determined not to let them get the better of me and i have since had a letter from the police saying they ( the police)are not taking any further action against me, so i,m in the clear thank god.

So to come back to your question, what motivates me? Well,, the best way to get revenge is to be succesfull, and i bloody well will if it kills me!!! I won 1st place at excel last year (funnily enough the girls wern't there to support me then) and i'm entering at earls court in sept, so , wish me luck !

My goal is to become a Grand Master. I'm an L&P master at the mo and ive booked my first Brisa course then ill do fabric and spa man and ped, then who knows!
My 'experience' has made me a stronger, not so nieve person so i can actually thank them for that. I don't think they know about this web site but i wish they did so i could reveal them! Sorry i rambled on but its felt good to get it out, kind of therapy, so thank you to anyone who actually read this! xx

but it has only made me all the more determined to turn my ambitions into reality.

Kate..................I salute you. A lot of people would have laid down and died but not you. No, you've come back fighting.

You're obviously a brilliant nail tech judging by your competit and they'll probably be there for a little while and pack it in, or the clients will pack them in first. Don't worry, every dog has it's day. You don't have to wish people bad luck do you? They'll bring it on themselves.

If I were you Kate, I'd change my geek name as someone might tell them you're on here. Also, I'd change my profile and rather than put Southampton, either put nothing or put one of the surrounding areas.

I and all the other geeks will be rooting for your continued success. You go girl !!!!!

Hmm, so lets see what advice you can give me, hope you can help.

At the moment i'm not trained but am seriously looking into it. Nails are a hobby for me, as i love to do my nail art, and do my mates as well, so the natural progression seems to be training. However this said, i dont want to do it full time and give up my job, i want to do it as the area i live has only one or two techs who are decent, and from what i have read on here, the nail techs i thought were ok, are actually poo! so i want to do it, so i can give my mates and family a good service that i know is correct and the results will last and not damage them.

would love my own salon, but dont think i will ever get to this stage! As for mobile, yeah i could consider that.

Money is the only thing stopping me, but im hoping mum will help me on that! good old mum huh.

thats kinda it really. i want to be a tech so i know people are getting what they pay for, and so i can do my nails when i want them done. Am i bad for wanting this, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Hugs all round.

amyuk said:
Hmm, so lets see what advice you can give me, hope you can help.

At the moment i'm not trained but am seriously looking into it. Nails are a hobby for me, as i love to do my nail art, and do my mates as well, so the natural progression seems to be training. However this said, i dont want to do it full time and give up my job, i want to do it as the area i live has only one or two techs who are decent, and from what i have read on here, the nail techs i thought were ok, are actually poo! so i want to do it, so i can give my mates and family a good service that i know is correct and the results will last and not damage them.

would love my own salon, but dont think i will ever get to this stage! As for mobile, yeah i could consider that.

Money is the only thing stopping me, but im hoping mum will help me on that! good old mum huh.

thats kinda it really. i want to be a tech so i know people are getting what they pay for, and so i can do my nails when i want them done. Am i bad for wanting this, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Hugs all round.

If you don't want to give up your day job I wouldn't spend too much money on training at this stage. My bet is though that once you have trained, you'll be gagging to be a nail tech and will want to leave your current job.

xxxxxxx

Thank you Kimmi, I think they do know about this site but the difference between them and me is that this is more than just a job to me, and i think your right, i will be very suprised if they are still in business by the end of 05. As much as i encouraged them and gave them free training (how stupid was I?) they just were not that interested, I put everything into that salon and i so wanted us to have the best reputation for doing the best nails around, They didnt support me in the competitions, thought i was mad! It's just a job to them so i dont think they'l go far.
As far as changing my name, no, i've got nothing to hide or be ashamed of, in fact i hope they do start using this site because i will look forward to naming and shaming them. I went through a horrible degrading experience and all i did wrong was try to protect my business, they have got away scott free with stealing my bsiness name and reputation and they still owe me a months rent as well!!
Anyway i'm looking to the future and it's bright and full of hopes, dreams and ambitions in abundance. They can't steal those!

If you are at Earls Court come and cheer me on in the comp. I'l probably be wearing a black pin stripe uniform, straight bobbed blond hair and probably chewing my lip with nerves!!! xxx

Good on ya Kate, you hold your head up high..! I know the there are many geeks on this site that you inspire and they strive to be as good as you. :hug:

kate I've pm'd you, but I'll say this publicly. The Nail Loft in Park Gate near Fareham got the reputation it did because of you and you alone, without you there is no reputation. They can take the premises, they can take the clients, but they'll keep neither without you being there.

Kate..............you appear to well known. Can I be your new friend? Pleeeeeeeeeeeese !!!!!! :)

Let me know what day you're there and I'll be there cheering you on. xxx

So, I'd love to hear what your goals are.
My goal is to help the industry in any way I can. I've recently become a demonstrator for Christrio Nail Products and I hope that I can help Techs find the perfect product for them just as I have. I want to share my experience with newbies and gain my Educators certificate

Nails are my Life!

I am a proper grown up tech - I hope!

No, But a training school would be cool :cool:

I can do mobile

I am home based now as I left the Tan shop a few months back

What's stopping you?
Nothing is stopping me - I'm on a roll baby!

Hard work, listening to everything my Mentors have to say & practice (still cant do those 3d flowers!)

I hope that at Professional Nails you guys will se how passionate I am about my industry and my product. I hope that Techs will be inspired at what can be done in the industry and go home (laden with Christrio product :wink2: ) to practice their little hearts out!
I technically am a full service nail tech but in reality I'm not perfect at everything, I want people to see that they have to be the best that they can be and continually push themselves - they will find that they will surprise themselves.
Also I want to let others know that our industry is like any other. I was approached by Christrio because I had passion, then they realised I was good at PR and now here I am! There are many jobs in the industry from customer service to demo'ing - mayb some of you might like a different role?

Kimmi well done on - sometimes you need something like this to get the hamster spinning in his wheel! :lol:

I need a new hamster as mine ran away!

Sassy #1 said:
I need a new hamster as mine ran away!

I've got 2 gerbils you can have

REDADMIRAL: Excellent..................there's nothing like believing in what you do to make you feel passionate. Great. xxxx

Latest posts

Back