What to do? New Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainbow Bright

Reaction score
Some advice would be appreciated from you lovely Geeks....
Ok so I have a new client booked in for next week, she's been having acryclic done at a local NSS salon. I've only spoken to her over the phone so have not yet seen her nails. She says her nails are papery thin and quite short (she picked off her acrylic) and she has booked in for a full set of Bio Sculpture extensions.
I realise it's difficult to make a call before seeing her nails, but my initial thoughts are that doing a set of gel sculptures is going to be a waste of time and money as her nails are not in good enough condition and they will just come off after a few days. I could just do Bio overlays but then I'm thinking that these wont last either. I also do Shellac, but again, Shellac is for healthy nails and might not last.
Apart from advising her to use Solar oil religiously, and that it can take up to 6 months for her nails to grow out and be in good healthy condition again - is there anything else I can suggest?
I have a feeling that she will definitely want something on her nails, it's just deciding which will last the longest, Bio or Shellac. I think she's not going to be very impressed with the gel/shellac as she's so used to the strength of acrylic, I did explain to her that they would not be as strong as she is used to.
What would you do in this situation? Just don't want her to disappointed and go back to the NSS and carryon ruining her nails. :sad:
thanks in advance for your advice

I think you've kind of hit on what to do throughout your post. Until you actually see her nails you are not going to have any idea on how bad they are or if she is exaggerating it or indeed they are worse than she may be saying.

I would just wait and see how they are and then discuss all the option with her. Discuss again face to face, that you are happy to do any of the services you've described above but x, y, z might happen due to the condition of her nails.

If they are that bad (which is pretty likely) then really, all you can do is encourage her to come for regular manicures, apply solar oil 3 times a day minimum and that it's going to be some time until she sees dramatic improvements but if she wants her own nails nice and strong again, then that's what she has to do xx

Personally, I think you have to see her nails before you can make a decision. IF she wants to work towards having healthy nails then there are certain things she will have to do.

* Use Solar Oil religiously.
* Keep them SHORT until the damage grows out.
* Once the damage has grown out, keeping nails at a manageable length.

Depending on her nails, I would try Shellac on them. Buff off any peeling and explain that Shellac may/may not work on her nails. Also, I have read that with thin nails, some use TWO top coats for a little extra protection.

HTH and best of luck! :)

I agree with the other posts. 2 x shellac topcoats do work but so would a fibreglass overlay. If doing shellac prep nail as normal, very carefully buff of any bits of peeling. Apply the fibreglass and smooth down then scrub in the shellac base coat, cure 10 secs then apply colour etc as you normally would. Works a treat! Have to occasionally do this on my mums nails xx

I know you're preparing yourself for every possible case scenario when she shows up, but I understand your dilemma. People who've worn acrylics for years aren't use to having nothing on their nails. Seeing short stubs on her fingertips and you telling her that she needs to let her nails recuperate from years of abuse just isn't what she's wanting to hear. She's going to expect you to do something for her.

I don't know if I'd go with fiberglass since it's just another form of enhancement and you're trying to ween her off of them, even though it would give her a little bit of added strength. But maybe it could be the first step in the weening process. Fiberglass (with no extension) and Shellac them.

If she absolutely must have something on her nails, I'd do as Deanosnana suggested and explain that Shellac may or may not work for her.

We all know what would be absolutely best and that's regular manicures and regular doses of Solar Oil until her nails build back their strength.

Shellac was my saviour when I took my acrylics off. So much that invested in the system at Olympia and am book in for training next month.

I work full time as a hair dresser and used to get about 1 1/2 weeks out of the shellac after my acrylics. Which I did think was bad considering the state of my nails.

Thanks everyone for your replies :biggrin: guess I'll just have to advise her as best I can and hope that she'll go with what I suggest.

Latest posts

Back