What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGritt

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was just reading a thread on cheeky requests and got me thinking of a sitution i was in.....

I had a friend come to me that i'd known for a few years, she asked for white tips which i said yes no problem....did her nails onee evening.

She didn't like me using a buffer block as it was like nails down a chalk board to her, anyway after the squirming about etc we were done, i explained to her any breakages etc within 24 hrs to anthing upto a couple of nails i would repair and sort out free.....

Got a call the next morning saying that nearly all her nails had come off! :eek:. I went over to see what she meant in which 2 of her nails had totally come off 9Which is the first time in happening with me work!).

I explained they don't just come off and asked have you been bitting them to which she squirmed a bit and said "It probably didn't help that i got them stuck in the car door!"

What to do? I said to come see me to sort them out but i think she new i could smell bulls**t!

Sorry for the rant, just winds me up especially after handing out aftercare leaflets too!!!! AAAGGGHHHH!!! :smack:

I'd make her pay for the repair

I'd make her pay for the repair

I agree. Trapping them in the car door certainly isnt your fault. I would charge her for repair or she may start expecting a freeby everytime :hug:

It is so annoying when clients, start off with two of my nails have just come off!! Then you have to start probing into what actually happend.

Drives me up the wall too.

Tracie xx

Well this is how it is in the nail business so you'd better get used to it!! :hug:

Clients are always trying to get freebies until they know and trust you .. as long as you are firm with them they back off.

I don't fix for free and i don't invite clients/friends to come and see me for free if they have any breakages. You invited her to see you for a freebie if she had any breakages so she is just doing what you have offered. She will not see this has been cheeky.

I would feel inclined to stick with my word on this occasion and do her nails for free and then be more careful with my wording to any future clients if that makes sense. :)

I completely agree with Karen. I would never offer a nail repair for free even if a client broke a nail 10 minutes after she'd left the salon! What has the client breaking a nail got to do with me?

Now if a client's nails were lifting after 24 hours or even a few days, THEN I would repair for free but not breakages. But that has actually never happened to me thank goodness.

Last edited:
I completely agree with Karen. I would never offer a nil repair for free even if a client broke a nail 10 minutes after she'd left the salon! What has the client breaking a nail got to do with me?

Now if a client's nails were lifting after 24 hours or even a few days, THEN I would repair for free but not breakages. But that has actually never happened to me thank goodness.
Yes any lifting within 24 hours would be a different story. I would be mortified if this did happen and would rectify for free but this has never happened to me yet thank god.
I still wouldn't invite the client to come back if she had any lifting within 24 hours, she would just think im not very confident in my work and will expect it to lift. xx

Some clients do like to stretch the truth, dont they?
Nearly all her nails had come off - which means 2 nails :rolleyes:
I bet you panicked until your saw & found out what really happened!

I would not do them for free as its not your fault.

I would also stop saying to clients that you will repair any broken nails, this could make clients be more careless, as they know you will sort it out - FREE!

x:hug:x

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the replies.

I know it is prob my faullt in my phrasing so i will think about this in future with my clients.

I think i am miffed off with this situation coz i knew she had been picking at them, had maybe snagged one and rather thasn sort it out picked the entire nail off!

I always have aftercare flyers up on my wall, usually my ladies read them whilst gettin thier naills done then i take one down from the wall after i have finished and go thorough it with them. I always stress about being wary with opening cans, doors etc

:green:

The same happen to me. I done two sets of nails of my friends. few days later i text them both to see how nails were doing. both said they took them off, i ask why and they said 1 nail came off. so instead of repairing 1 nail. I done 2 sets for free. (what a fool)
It made me lose my confidence I felt like it was all my fault and i was crap at nails. I do know that maybe my friends are not looking after there nails as well as they should.
I do my own nails and mine have never come off. I did think it strange that nails just fell off, the glue is so strong i sure it would stick anything..
Now i wont be doing anyones nails for free. samfie27 :lol:

The same happen to me. I done two sets of nails of my friends. few days later i text them both to see how nails were doing. both said they took them off, i ask why and they said 1 nail came off. so instead of repairing 1 nail. I done 2 sets for free. (what a fool)
It made me lose my confidence I felt like it was all my fault and i was crap at nails. I do know that maybe my friends are not looking after there nails as well as they should.
I do my own nails and mine have never come off. I did think it strange that nails just fell off, the glue is so strong i sure it would stick anything..
Now i wont be doing anyones nails for free. samfie27 :lol:

Why do you ring and ask if their nails are alright? Makes it sound like you don't expect their nails to be alright!! Bad signals you are giving out there.

I just tell new clients to enjoy their nails, make them buy some solar Oil, send them off with an aftercare leaflet and ask them to call me if they have any questions. I don't for a second make them think they may have problems.

you know what i had the sma eproblem the other day spent an hour and a half doing her nails then she rang the next morning to say that 3 had cracked i was thinking could it be me when applying the gel. i told her to come in anyway when i looked all the other nails were fine i asked if she had hit her hand she said maybe but then she said she was cleaning and could of hit her hand on the sink i had said to her i would fix them but she said no she had wanted them all off which as made me made as i was thinking all that time that i spent and i had another customer waiting which had an appoitment wanting full tips. so i know what you mean. i gess this is part of the nail world!

you know what i had the sma eproblem the other day spent an hour and a half doing her nails then she rang the next morning to say that 3 had cracked i was thinking could it be me when applying the gel. i told her to come in anyway when i looked all the other nails were fine i asked if she had hit her hand she said maybe but then she said she was cleaning and could of hit her hand on the sink i had said to her i would fix them but she said no she had wanted them all off which as made me made as i was thinking all that time that i spent and i had another customer waiting which had an appoitment wanting full tips. so i know what you mean. i gess this is part of the nail world!
In this situation i would of nicely explained that you have only allowed a repair appointment time and she will need to rebook for a removal appointment has this process takes much longer than a repair appointment, and that you have another client booked in after her.
Why keep your next lady waiting? Did she tell you she wanted a removal when booking?

I ask if nails were fine cause they were my friends. This is all a learning curve for me. so i taking your advice and tell them to enjoy their new nails..
loving the world of nails.x:lol:

Latest posts

Back