What's going on with employment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter started working for me on £6.50 an hour and as the business has grown we're now doing commission for her. This time last year I could not have envisaged paying her a weekly wage, let alone increasing it. As the business grows, so will her wage. This is because I value her as an employee, not because she is my daughter.
I'm just beginning to put out feelers for another employed member of staff who will also start on basic. If they show commitment, skill and reliability they will go on commission.
We are a growing business. I'm not driving around in a fancy car, living in a big house and paying poor wages. I'm afraid there is a lot more required from therapists now than just doing good treatments. It's rebooking, training, answering phones, doing fb posts, cleaning and making tea - and constantly smiling.

I used to go to a salon for a cut. The junior had a face like a slaps ar5e. I never, ever saw her smile. I never left her a tip. I said to my stylist "tell that girl, the day she smiles is the day I tip her".
Needless to say, I never tipped her.
She would not have lasted 5 minutes in my place.
Personally I would only employ, and would definitely consider a college leaver. I rent out rooms for a fixed rate for therapies that complement what we do. I like control over what is used and how my clients are treated but my room renter's obviously do their own thing.

Vicki x

Last edited:
Yes but you intend to put her wages up. Other salons it's minimum wage for life with no comission.

That's true but when I employed her all I was thinking was basic wage. I suppose that some salons will offer basic wage to start, but you would hope that as they become established a pay rise would follow, but I agree, a lot of salons will never provide a wage rise which makes me wonder why a salon would expect staff to work hard for them.
It was actually reading about commission on here that gave me the idea. When she asked for a pay rise I offered commission. She said working hard had never been such fun lol!

Vicki x

I have a house, rent, 2 cars. I'm on £6.75 and hubby is on £7.50 an hour and we 'survive' just fine lol. Not that I wouldn't love more money ;)

Laura xx

But you don't have kids. Take all your living expenses and then double it.

Oh dear god no £7 an hour?
I live in London so it's probably even worse but unless I worked 60 hours a week I wouldn't be able to afford to eat after if paid everything else!!

But you don't have kids. Take all your living expenses and then double it.

No but when I do have kids I'll probably be on the same sort of wage, unless I suddenly have my own amazing business within 3 years. I can dream hope wish pray lol.

Laura xx

How does everyone feel about younger staff being paid less than older staff for doing the same job? Do you think an 18 year old and a 28 year old should be paid the same despite the minimum wage level differences?

To think I'm spending 2 years at college at a cost of almost £4,000 in total and I only have the prospect of £7.00 maximum to earn is a bit disheartening

Fair enough for the first couple of years whilst you build yourself up with experience etc but if 10 years down the line I was still on minimum wage I'd be rather peeved, whether I loved the job or not.

I agree I don't see how people can survive on minimum wage, things are so expensive

I think it's should be all the same there is a girl working for us in her 30s and I'm 19 and more qualified and get paid less. Nothing ya can do though minimum wage is what it is don't think the government are going to change it anytime soon lol xxx

I know that the minimum wage brackets are there because obviously the older ones have more to pay for, but just not sure if it is morally right when they are doing the same job?!

When I first started in beauty as a therapist I was earning £7 ph as newly qualified therapist, that was 14 YEARS AGO, and was considered a really good p/h rate!

I'm shocked that 14 years on that the average therapist is still earning £7ph

Can I just ask if grape seed oil from the supermarket that is used for food is ok for massage, then why are we paying the expense of beauty wholesalers oil?? As the one from the supermarket is around £2 and comes in a cooking oil bottle. ???

I think - ideally - you should use cold pressed oil which is what you pay more for. It has greater benefits than supermarket oil.
I think that given the cost per treatment of oil, I'd much rather have a bottle that says Eve Taylor on my work surface than one that says Tesco!

Vicki x

Not all employers pay rubbish wages. I'm paid £11 per hour and I choose my hours week by week. In my previous job I started on £8.25 per hour which rose to £8.75 then £9.00 within a year.

Just me on £5.03 a hour then lol

To think I'm spending 2 years at college at a cost of almost £4,000 in total and I only have the prospect of £7.00 maximum to earn is a bit disheartening

Fair enough for the first couple of years whilst you build yourself up with experience etc but if 10 years down the line I was still on minimum wage I'd be rather peeved, whether I loved the job or not.

I agree I don't see how people can survive on minimum wage, things are so expensive

Don't panic Coco, if you're good at what you do, you'll make money. I didn't qualify until I was in my early 30's and within 12 months of working full time I was taking between £600-800 a week for less than 4 days work. It never crossed my mind to be employed though...

I'm about to pay a new starter £7 per hour she has 2 yrs experience. Previously she was on £5.03ph which Is min wage for her age bracket (20yrs) I see her being a positive influence within my salon . I have explained to her if she fills her 4 day week up within 6 months I am more than happy to increase her hourly rate plus other perks. Morally I couldn't pay her the min wage but £7 is all I can really afford until I see her making money for my business.

When I look after my friends salon she pays me £7ph
She wants me to commit to doing it regularly 2 days a week but I can't justify taking 2 days off from my business to earn that when I can make in 2 hours what she pays for a day.

(I've been qualified 16 years but only back in beauty again full time for 18 months)

Sent from the catphone

All of this makes the salon I'm going into sound like a good deal. It's basic pay but if you make your target its 35% commission. I'm still in training so I only get the 2.50 or what ever an hour but some of the stylists earn a very good wage.

Latest posts

Back