White marks on my nails, help pls

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Hello everyone, please may i have some advise, i have noticed white lines going across my nails, they dont reach each sidewall, and are in zone 3.
I have two on each finger of four fingers, i have noticed that i appear to get another after each rebalance, the first time i saw it i thought it looked like i hadnt maybe filled the gel down enough b4 re-applying as the space in-between each white mark is about a 2 week infill size.
Now i have done another rebalance i have another just below the first one , is it a kind of shadow from previous gel or is it damage i have done to my nail. Sorry if this makes no sence, its real hard to descibe what the eye sees isnt it. any help or suggestions would be great, thank you xxx

Could it be that after you've filed, you may not have brushed all dust off thoroughly? If , when you've brushed, you use a lintfree pad with gel prep, it should show up any debris left on nail b4 you do rebalance.

Debz xx

hiya debz,

you know i dont think it could be that as i wash my hands after with citrus scrub b4 i do my main prep prior to gel application and the lines are quite sharpe, abit like a mirror image of my cuticle. thats what made me wonder if it was not enough blending of the old product b4 i applied the new, or like i said damage to the nail in some way but they are not red or sore at all. i am really stumped.

Just sounds like a fill line to me Angie! x

thanks suey, thats what i was thinking, what do i need to be doing better then to prevent this from happeneing again, is it more fileling and blending of the old gel? i am going to take the product off these fingers and see if the marks are still there just to check its not actually on my nail also a great excuse to practice some more...he he thanks for your help xxx

Hi Amberrose,

I agree with Suey, it does sound like fill lines.

Try doing a search on 'chasing the line'. You should find some posts by Geeg that will help you.

You may also need to check your prep. Fill lines can be more noticable when there has been lifting.

I suffered from lifting until I changed to a metal pushee for removing cuticles and started rinsing the cuticle remover off with water rather than ScrubFresh, so it may be a good idea to go over your prep steps again. Now I don't have a problem with lifting neither do I have a problem with fill lines.

Reading up on Geeg's filing tutorials should help you too.

Best wishes,

Karen
xxx

Just a thought...

Does it appear to be on top of the nail, or part of the nail..... It could be leukonychia from pushing back the eponychium....

hiya all, thanks for all your advise and help, Karon i also use a metal pushee and citrus wash for removing any dust and cuticle remover and have had only very little lifting in the past and none now. But i wll def read the thread you suggested as i now do think it was fill lines, to be sure i took off the whole enhancement and the lines dissapeared so it was product, i dont think i am thinning it down enough at in zone 3 b4 re-applying, leaving a kinda ridge/bump thing near to my cuticle. thanks again for your help xxx

hiya karon, just to say i read Geeg's thread and omg am i doing things wrong, the gel nearest the cuticle shouldnt need thinning as it should already be thin, i am putting to much product there. thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction and also thanks to Geeg. xx

Hi Ambrrose,

I'm glad you found Geeg's tutorials helpful - they're great, aren't they?

It's amazing isn't it that these things pass you by. I was horrified when I realised I was making mistakes with my prep.

I think it because when you are learning there is so much to take in it is easy to forget these little things that are essential!

Good luck - it sounds like you're making progress.

Best wishes,

Karen

Latest posts

Back