Work Experience

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxoBLUSHxoxo

Reaction score
I've been doing an unpaid work experience placement since March, I have been told by the salon owner that once ive completed all my training she will give me a paid job at the salon. But I feel like im being taken advantage of :rolleyes:. I do more treatments than the paid therapist, who has just been fired so now its just me and the salon owner ... I do tons of reception/admin work aswell as cleaning and treatments and am working from 9-6 most days except for when Im training. I've been there along time now doing quite alot and I was wondering what you guys thought ... should I leave or is it worth sticking out until Ive finished my training? xxx

It does sound as if the owner is taking full advantage of you being there.
Are the clients aware that you are not qualified yet ?
Even though the experience your getting is invaluble, I would have a chat with your boss regarding a small wage, especially if your doing treatments on paying clients.
You could come to an arrangement with regards to wage, at least, until she employes a new therapist.
Personally, I wouldn't work for nothing anymore.
:hug:

Thankyou
She advertises me as a trainee but sometimes if a client has booked a treatment with the full time therapist she makes out that im not the trainee so they have to pay full price ...
I'm quite shy so Im going to have to really pluck up the courage to talk money .. eek
xxx

I have to say... "9 to 6 most days" sounds more like a full time job than a work experience placement to me. Work Experience for a student is usually either a day or so a week or full time for a pre-arranged short period, say, 2 weeks. It does sound very much like she is taking advantage of you if you are working on an ongoing basis for around 40 hours per week. Was your work experience placement arranged for you by your college? If so, maybe they could help liaise with the salon owner fo you.

Also, not your problem I realise, but her insurance is also likely to be invalid in respect of work carried out by an unqualified technician.

Sx

I found the placement myself Just before I started college by writing letter to all my local salons .. I didn't mind helping out at first because I was only observing or doing basic reception duties but as times gone on Im working like a full time member of staff
xxx

Perhaps you could ask her to pay you for the cleaning and reception/admin work that you are doing (surely if you arent doing it then she'd have to pay someone else?) I'm certain you shouldn't be carrying out treatments unsupervised, especially if the clients are unaware of your trainee status which is worrying.

Alternatively, maybe you ought to seek a placement somewhere where you'd feel more comfortable and less taken advantage off... somewhere that would also give you more time to concentrate on your studies.

Good Luck x

doesn't sound like work experience to me, sounds like a job! We have W/E people in, usually for one day a week. They shadow a therapist or stylist, watch, help prep for the next client and make tea/ coffee. They are not free labour.

Latest posts

Back