Working while pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLTurner

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Just looking opinions what would you say is an absaloute No No treatment wise to do while your pregnant? I have had mixed messages on it. I was always sure that you couldn't perform aromatherapy or hot stone's while pregnant but been told by various professionals that if you have been doing it a long time you build up a kind of intolerance to it so it wouldnt effect you in the same sort of way.
Would be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks

Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope everything is going well for you so far. Don’t panic, beauty is a safe industry for pregnancy - there are a just a few things to consider. You don’t perform electrical treatments where the current runs through you - like Viennese massage. Other than that you’re fine. I’m sure lots of women would prefer not to inhale toxic nail chemicals but luckily in the U.K. everyone is entitled to a safe workplace not just pregnant women, so as long as your employer is complying with all the guidelines you will be ok.

Not providing services to pregnant women is much more about not wanting to be accused of harming a pregnancy that sadly miscarries rather than any treatment carrying an actual risk of harm to an unborn child and his or her mother. Lots of women have irregular cycles so many women aren’t aware that they are pregnant for several months and they don’t come to any harm.

You won’t harm yourself handling hot stones - it’s no different to washing up.

The same for aromatherapy, you’re using your palms and possibly your forearms to massage oil into your client. You won’t absorb very much oil. Your client is soaking up the essential oils far more than you and getting a massage which promotes absorption. Providing aromatherapy services is no different to gardening or cooking - parsley, rosemary, sage, peppermint and thyme are all essential oils that are contraindicated during pregnancy (amongst others) but professional chefs don’t refrain from chopping herbs and market gardeners carry on.

If you blend oils be careful not to drip undiluted essential oils on to your skin - you shouldn’t do this in any case, it’s not just a pregnancy rule.

It’s important not to overwork during pregnancy and every woman and every pregnancy is different. If the smell of aromatherapy oils makes you feel queasy, in the U.K. you are entitled to discuss this with your employer who should try to support you with fewer treatments, breaks between treatments (not back to back) and sitting down rest breaks.

I hope this puts your mind at rest.

Latest posts

Back