Clueless about ASP gels, please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tousledkitten

Reaction score
Perusing the vast line-up of ASP gels I was overwhelmed by how many different kinds there are! I completely understand how gel tip extensions work and how gel overlays work but I am a little confuzzled over gel overlay extensions. I was wondering if anyone could break down what the different types of gel are for. I know how to use a nail form and all that jazz it's just the gel types for this specific brand that elude me.

The types that I have come across in my research of the brand are UV Gel, Soak off UV gel, T3 gel, Kapping Gel, Builder Gel, Powergel, Powergel Powder, Scultipng Gel.

Further, is it necessary or advisable to use the Line Eliminator, Extra Strength Primer and soak off UV gel base coat? I'm assuming that the UV Gel Nail Protector and Sealer is a standard UV top coat.

Sorry for the essay, I think my head is about to explode. :D I have never come across a brand with such a complicated product line-up. I have done a lot of on-line research on this and am still none-the-wiser except a vague inkling than it is builder gel that is required to actually form any kind of extension to the natural nail. :grr:;)

I would suggest you contact the suppliers/manufacturers to get the info from the ones that should know their product better than anyone else. Sorry i dont use ASP so cant help

I would suggest you contact the suppliers/manufacturers to get the info from the ones that should know their product better than anyone else. Sorry i dont use ASP so cant help

Thanks for replying. I tried asking Sallys because they are the distributor and training provider but they didn't seem 100% sure. :suprised:

Bump bump, someone must know. :D

I don't personally use it, but from what I can see on Sallys website is,
Powergel: For extra strength
T3: is Strong but lightweight
Kapping gel: is for natural nail overlay, so that naturals nails can grow.
Soak off: means they soak off

the powergel powder: Is in the form of a powder, only is cured under uv light etc.

I've used the Eco T3 gel (think its the same thing). It is a hard gel (buff off) and is a great consistency and easy to build with. It's easy to infill and stays strong and I've never had any lifting with it. They've got some lovely opaque cover pinks too. Really like it. Hth xx

I'm going to ask Sallys again today. Mostly I want to know which gel is suitable for sculpted extensions. :green:

Honestly, if I'd asked the training provider & distributor these questions & they couldn't answer them, I'd walk away from the product. I want a provider that can answer any & every question I have & so far mine have been great. It would put me right off ASP X

Honestly, if I'd asked the training provider & distributor these questions & they couldn't answer them, I'd walk away from the product. I want a provider that can answer any & every question I have & so far mine have been great. It would put me right off ASP X

I do feel a bit like that, yeah. I feel like I can't win because "cheaper" providers are poor quality and/or lack product knowledge and more expensive providers are completely irrationally biased against any other provider. Neither is good footing for providing honest, good quality education. I feel like you can't have good product knowledge and skill without a grounded understanding of what is available on the market and the pros and cons of each. :)

I've just looked at the Olympia exhibitors list and ASP appear to have a stand so if you're going you could ask them there and hopefully get them to demo the sculpting gel on you too. Hope that helps xx

I wish I could go. Bit far for me. Thank you so much for thinking of me though!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SalonGeek

I went into Sallys again and was more persistent this time. Quite a task for me since I have 0 confidence lol. :) I asked one girl who asked another and then there were some computer searches, brochure reading and a phone call and we came to the conclusion that it is the sculpting gel that is used for extensions. If anyone knows anything to the contrary do let me know. :green:

I went into Sallys again and was more persistent this time. Quite a task for me since I have 0 confidence lol. :) I asked one girl who asked another and then there were some computer searches, brochure reading and a phone call and we came to the conclusion that it is the sculpting gel that is used for extensions. If anyone knows anything to the contrary do let me know. :green:
You can definitely use the T3 gel for extensions with tips aswell x

You can definitely use the T3 gel for extensions with tips aswell x

It was sculpted extensions I was wondering about (where the extension is just gel rather than gel on top of a tip). :)

It was sculpted extensions I was wondering about (where the extension is just gel rather than gel on top of a tip). :)

I would say the T3 is slightly too thin then . I use the NSI balance body builder gels for sculpting - have you looked at those? X

We use the asp uv sculpting gel to do gel extensions you need to use a form that you place under the free edge, then place the gel onto the nail and the form this is how you sculpt an extension with out using a tip.

Can see this is an old thread, but I'm looking at trying to sculpt my nail extensions & was going to purchase the ASP Sculpting gel / forms to practice on....

I've only ever used their Soak Off Gels before & wondered what I needed to follow the prep wise for the hard gels??

I'm guessing:

push cuticles back/remove
240 grit file the nail plate
cleanse/dehydrate
Apply nail form
prime (any particular ASP type I should be using ?)
Apply a base coat? (currently only use soak off base coat - should I use something else or is it not needed?)
Then start with the sculpting gel...

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Lana

Can see this is an old thread, but I'm looking at trying to sculpt my nail extensions & was going to purchase the ASP Sculpting gel / forms to practice on....

I've only ever used their Soak Off Gels before & wondered what I needed to follow the prep wise for the hard gels??

I'm guessing:

push cuticles back/remove
240 grit file the nail plate
cleanse/dehydrate
Apply nail form
prime (any particular ASP type I should be using ?)
Apply a base coat? (currently only use soak off base coat - should I use something else or is it not needed?)
Then start with the sculpting gel...

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Lana

You need to use the basecoat which goes with your system. You can't use soak off gels with hard gels as they are incompatible. Have you trained in hard gels? It is so much different than soak off gels and you would really need a class to help you master it. Also, the hard gels are buff off gels so you really need to know what you're doing so you don't damage the natural nail.

Ive got the T3 uv gel (asp) does anyone know the curing time as when i asked at sallys the guy didnt seem to be able togive me much information, also is it soak off or buff, thanks guys :)

Latest posts

Back