L2 C&G Nail Tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sqinky

Reaction score
Hello!

Newbie in training here đź‘‹

Due to complete the course in Dec but confused at which services I can actually offer when I'm qualified?

I know I'll be able to do acrylic enhancements for sure as this is the enhancement we are practising. We have been shown how to do UV gel application however we haven't learned the practical aspect of using gel to extend the natural nail ourselves. And we were told to research silk/fibreglass. I have no intention of using silk or fibreglass though.

But do you think I would be covered for the application of gel to extend? I really don't think so, Ive sat and watched the lady at the salon do my gel nails and it wouldn't make me qualified to do it myself... So?...

Also, applying gel polish as an overlay? We've been 'shown' this too but we have only applied a UV/LED clear gel top coat to our acrylic enhancements.

I am literally so so confused at which other courses I would need to take, or any at all?

Any advice would be greatly received, and thanks for reading the above x

You course should come with learning outcomes, which basically states what you should be able to do. If it doesn't have a look at your assessment records it will have performance criteria in which should say what you have to demonstrate practically, and a range e.g. manicure, pedicure, male, female, acrylic sculptured, nail tips with overlays, or over natural nails etc. For finishes it could be something like buffed to a natural shine, nail polish, French, ombre or UV gel polish etc. Have a good look at all the course handbook, it should give you all the info in there. If you're unsure you should feel comfortable enough to approach your tutor to ask. It seems that it's not been made clear at the outset, which isn't good or inclusive teaching practice. Or maybe you weren't there on a certain day or missed a hand out etc. I'd just ask.

Hope this helps

Nicky

Thanks so much for your reply @nickyjpearce I have asked my tutor before if we would be covered to apply gel and gel polish and they said that we would need to double check with our insurance that they would cover us based on the qualification we have done... Which didn't really answer my question, in fact I was left more puzzled than before.

I definitely will need to ask again, I'm quite shy and anxious so asking the same question more than once worries me but you are totally right. I need to get the course learning outcomes from them.

In the tutors defense I did enrol a couple of weeks after the course started, so it could be that it was covered in the introduction.

Thanks again for your time!

Well the thing is. If this is part of your qualification and you are being assessed for it you will be qualified to apply it. If an insurance company doesn't cover you then it makes good business sense to go look for an insurance company that does. Otherwsie you won't be practising to your full scope or making a living at an optimum level. I suspect your tutor doesn't know, and they should if they are teaching a subject. They should be completely familiar with the course they are teaching for quality assurance purposes, especially if its a regulated qualification being awarded by C&G. It's concerning to say the least. I would defintiely check even with C&G's. Look at the qualification spec on their website and see what it qualifies you to do. If they are just putting you through as assessed and qualified when your not, its concerning. They are lowering standards and letting you down BIG TIME! Even if it was covered in the intro, you shoul have been given tasks and extra support to catch up with everyone else. Not just left. It's bad practice. I would be thinking of complaining, becuase your education, qualification and career are suffering. You're paying good money to do this. Expect the best they can give!!

Sorry for the rant. I see this a lot with providers that just set up and start a course becuase its lucrative and don't actually spend any time developing a quality course. Everything is so off the shelf now, but it leaves itself open to abuse and lowers standards. I spend a lot of time picking up the pieces from other course providers and it gets soul destroying at times.

Nicky xx

Hiya Nicky

I think i need to clarify because I feel I've upset you.

I only joined two weeks late. I was one assignment behind (health and safety) which I caught up on straight away. The tutor has been there for years and teaches other beauty courses at the college so it's not a one day course or a pop up training centre.

We are being assessed on the application of acrylic enhancements and we are completing sets on clients and being assessed.

But... we have only been SHOWN how to apply gel. We are not doing a gel practical ourselves. So that basically was my question. Can I be qualified from sitting and watching a tutor show us this or will I need further education in gel application?

Please do not think that they are just passing everyone without the knowledge or training to complete a treatment. We are getting a good level of training, the theory aspect was in depth, my assignments have been marked and passed for internal verification, and like you say it's a C&G course so there is a standard there.

I'm so sorry I asked, I really didn't mean to upset you at all. I'll just ask for the course learning outcomes next time I am in.

Thanks again xx

Hiya Nicky

I think i need to clarify because I feel I've upset you.

I only joined two weeks late. I was one assignment behind (health and safety) which I caught up on straight away. The tutor has been there for years and teaches other beauty courses at the college so it's not a one day course or a pop up training centre.

We are being assessed on the application of acrylic enhancements and we are completing sets on clients and being assessed.

But... we have only been SHOWN how to apply gel. We are not doing a gel practical ourselves. So that basically was my question. Can I be qualified from sitting and watching a tutor show us this or will I need further education in gel application?

Please do not think that they are just passing everyone without the knowledge or training to complete a treatment. We are getting a good level of training, the theory aspect was in depth, my assignments have been marked and passed for internal verification, and like you say it's a C&G course so there is a standard there.

I'm so sorry I asked, I really didn't mean to upset you at all. I'll just ask for the course learning outcomes next time I am in.

Thanks again xx

Don't worry about it. You didn't up set me. I just hate to see students being taken advantage of. I was a student once, honest lol..... We all pay a lot in both hard earned money and our time to learn something that we love to do, I just hate to see students short changed. There are tons of these random courses out there that do that, and I spend a lot of time picking up pieces of shoddy work. Keeps me busy though. Keep up the good work and you'll be fine xx

Latest posts

Back