Striping tape and Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
Hi there,
I know similar questions have been asked but I still seem to be having trouble with using striping tape with gelish. I apply base coat, 2 colour, then apply striping tape and then top coat. I have tried leaving the striping tape short from the edges so it is sealed under top coat properly and have also tried 2 coats of top coat but still with no luck. I find it so odd that it comes off but it does which is so dissapointing as you can achieve some fantastic nail art using it. :( I was wondering if there was any other suggestions or something else I should be doing? I have considered taking the tacky layer off the gelish colour coat and then applying tape but havn't yet tried this? Perhaps it is just the quality of the striping tape. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
I know similar questions have been asked but I still seem to be having trouble with using striping tape with gelish. I apply base coat, 2 colour, then apply striping tape and then top coat. I have tried leaving the striping tape short from the edges so it is sealed under top coat properly and have also tried 2 coats of top coat but still with no luck. I find it so odd that it comes off but it does which is so dissapointing as you can achieve some fantastic nail art using it. :( I was wondering if there was any other suggestions or something else I should be doing? I have considered taking the tacky layer off the gelish colour coat and then applying tape but havn't yet tried this? Perhaps it is just the quality of the striping tape. Thanks in advance.

Hi - I have tried and tested striping tape with both Shellac & Gelish and I've found the following ways work for me:

Shellac - I always place tape into the tacky layer of 2nd colour coat, and stop short of any free edge and sidewalls, and then topcoat (cure) - clients come back with tape intact.

Gelish - I always REMOVE tacky layer on 2nd colour coat, apply tape (stopping short of free edge/sidewalls) and then topcoat (cure) - tape remains intact.

The Shellac tacky layer is perfect for holding decals, tape or foils etc, but I find too much slippage on the Gelish tacky layer.

Hope this helps! xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanx so much for the feedback. I will give this a try. With removing the tacking layer on the second colour coat with gelish do you just use the cleanse? Also, do you find doing this removes any of the colour? Thanx again. :)

Thanx so much for the feedback. I will give this a try. With removing the tacking layer on the second colour coat with gelish do you just use the cleanse? Also, do you find doing this removes any of the colour? Thanx again. :)

Yes just the Gelish cleanse. It might remove a tiny bit so go sparingly with the cleanse. I only usually find it happens with reds x

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanx so much, will give this a try. :)

Latest posts

Back