Inhibition layer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailfiend

Reaction score
I’m curing my gels with a led lamp and I’m a bit confused with the inhibition layer. I used to use a cheap lamp which cured the coloured gels so they were sticky between coats. Since starting my qualification recently and learning more I purchased an led lamp which is recommended by the manufacturer of the gels. Now when I cure my gels they are sticky but also squidgy. If I attempted to remove the inhibition layer eg if applying nail art before top coats, it removes the colour too. I am curing as per manufacturer instructions and using their lamp. Is this normal as it never happened when I used my cheap lamp from amazon
I have noticed the lamps at my college also do this

Thank you!

Depends on the brand. For instance CJELP gel polish is highly pigmented and leaves a significant amount of colour within the dispersion layer even when using their brand lamp, CND leaves very little.

Ah I see. That could be the change as well then. I used to use mylee which I now see as more of an at home brand. I now use glitterbels after reading so many good reviews. I was concerned it wasn’t curing properly. How would you apply nail art on this? Is it best to top coat first? I have no issues with builder it’s just when using gel on it’s own, no builder.

Thank you!

Ah I see. That could be the change as well then. I used to use mylee which I now see as more of an at home brand. I now use glitterbels after reading so many good reviews. I was concerned it wasn’t curing properly. How would you apply nail art on this? Is it best to top coat first? I have no issues with builder it’s just when using gel on it’s own, no builder.

Thank you!

Depends on the art, stamping will skid or slid so I'd remove the disperation layer, hand painted it might help as it will stick nicely. Glitter can go either way, sometime it will slip off, others will stick OK. It's going to be trial and error, or message Glitterbells and ask for their advice. Using a matt top coat is a great option for art, seals the colour coats without removing the disperation layer and gives a good key for painting/art. Be sure to use thin layers or the gel polish will start to look 'bloated' or 'fat' as you'll need base, 2x colour, matt, and potentially 2x top coat.

CjelP suggest using their 'Stick It' product, it goes over the dispersion layer of the colour but leaves a perfect sticky layer for glitters, etc. Glitterbells might have a similar solution

Latest posts

Back