3D flower came off! Help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunaberry

Reaction score
Been experimenting with making 3d flowers with l&p
Though I know they still need some perfecting in detail (I've put one in nail critique) I thought I'd put one on my thumb to see if it would last.
It didn't! Put it on friday morning it came off this morning after my shower :(
Any ideas why? I applied it to finished nail. Is it supposed to be applied to a buffed surface and should it be sealed with anything?
Thanks. Xx
Ps can you apply them to gel polish?

Any advise welcome please?
Do I put the l&p beads on a finished nail or buffed nail? Xx

I do 3d flowers, bows etc and I put them on top of shellac and gel polish and also on top of gel polish over l&p and nsi balance gels, brisa lite gel, on myself they normally last couple of weeks, maybe you didn't pat down firmly on the nail, or your mix was to dry so it didn't stick :)

just had a look at the ones you put in critiques , there not on a thumb in the pic i saw , (is that right one ?)

what did you apply it to your nail with?

what was already on the nail ? did you do any kind of prep or cleanse before attaching it ?

I do 3d flowers, bows etc and I put them on top of shellac and gel polish and also on top of gel polish over l&p and nsi balance gels, brisa lite gel, on myself they normally last couple of weeks, maybe you didn't pat down firmly on the nail, or your mix was to dry so it didn't stick :)

Thanks so much for your reply and information that's great :)
It's good to know it can be done it's just obviously something I need to work on! Can I ask if you apply them to the finished nail and then leave them or do you buff the gel polish first and then top coat the 3d flower or bow?
I'm pretty sure my mix wasn't too dry as I had to leave it a minute or so to go matt if you know what I mean. But there is a chance I didn't pat it down firmly nough so I will try that.
Thank you again xx

just had a look at the ones you put in critiques , there not on a thumb in the pic i saw , (is that right one ?)

what did you apply it to your nail with?

what was already on the nail ? did you do any kind of prep or cleanse before attaching it ?

Thanks MizzyDizzy, I really appreciate your reply.
Yes that's the right pic in critique I did those two on the spare nail tips first then I did one like the purple one on my thumb just to try it.
I did it straight onto the nail petal by petal if that makes sense. I had put some gel polish on my nails the day before (that was applied with all the usual thorough prep and cleanse) but thinking about it I did do it straight onto the gel polish and should have cleansed it first as the gel polish had already been on a day. Silly silly me that is a very bad mistake and I guess if there was any residue oil or cream on my nails that would affect the flowers sticking in the same way it would affect any form of gel or l&p. Can't believe I have been so stupid!
Thank you again xx

I normally do it on a finished nail, today I did one on finished shellac which is on brisa lite sculpting

I don't buff a all, I do make sure the 1st petals are pushed/patted down and then build.

I do recommend not on index/thumbs/little fingers as more like to be bashed, best is ring finger, but mine always last and my clients nearly always get 2 weeks unless they've bashed it, which is rare.

I topcoat my work with CND Matt polish , as prefer them non shiny but it does keep them cleaner.

I normally do it on a finished nail, today I did one on finished shellac which is on brisa lite sculpting

I don't buff a all, I do make sure the 1st petals are pushed/patted down and then build.

I do recommend not on index/thumbs/little fingers as more like to be bashed, best is ring finger, but mine always last and my clients nearly always get 2 weeks unless they've bashed it, which is rare.

I topcoat my work with CND Matt polish , as prefer them non shiny but it does keep them cleaner.

Thanks so much you really have helped me no end!
I must admit I did put it on the thumb as I thought it would be a good test and as it gets a bit more hammer! And the night before my other half was pulling it to see how strong it was so that probably didn't help either!
You have encouraged me to reapply the gel polish on thumb tomorrow, cleanse it (another thing I did wrong!) And try again!
Really appreciate your advice thanks for taking the time xx

No prob hun happy to help :)

Thanks MizzyDizzy, I really appreciate your reply.
Yes that's the right pic in critique I did those two on the spare nail tips first then I did one like the purple one on my thumb just to try it.
I did it straight onto the nail petal by petal if that makes sense. I had put some gel polish on my nails the day before (that was applied with all the usual thorough prep and cleanse) but thinking about it I did do it straight onto the gel polish and should have cleansed it first as the gel polish had already been on a day. Silly silly me that is a very bad mistake and I guess if there was any residue oil or cream on my nails that would affect the flowers sticking in the same way it would affect any form of gel or l&p. Can't believe I have been so stupid!
Thank you again xx

See when you think back over it the most likely reasons are there :)
Don't worry it's all a learning curve ,

As for top coat you can do a matte polish over them or a thin coat of a brush on adhesive , L&P alone and not buffed to a shine is quite pourus and will stain and collect fluids this could even be part of the reson it came off in the shower ,

Latest posts

Back