A couple of Shellac problem questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainiac

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone else find that after they have prepped the nails and done basecoat that when they apply the colour coat there is sometimes little bubbles on the nails from the basecoat? Is there any way to prevent this? I normally just scrape them off with my cuticle pusher but its a pain and wondered why is happens?

Also what is the reason for the shrinking back from the free edge with colour coats? Is it too thick a base coat or do I need to scrubfresh more, again I always go back over just before going in the lamp, but again another pain!!

Other than these two issues I love shellac so if I can prevent them then i'll be very happy! :) Thanks xx

There is a packing glue in brushes of shellac which you need to remove before application you can do this on a lint free pad just make sure you have no fuzzies in your brush before putting back in the bottle and always give a good shake. Remember shake to wake and thin to win! Shaking well mixed the pigment evenly to help avoid shrinkage also ensure at least 5seconds per nail for scrub fresh and make sure you really do the free edge and underneath the free edge. Hope that helps x

There is a packing glue in brushes of shellac which you need to remove before application you can do this on a lint free pad just make sure you have no fuzzies in your brush before putting back in the bottle and always give a good shake. Remember shake to wake and thin to win! Shaking well mixed the pigment evenly to help avoid shrinkage also ensure at least 5seconds per nail for scrub fresh and make sure you really do the free edge and underneath the free edge. Hope that helps x

They really should mention that on their training courses.

They usually do that's how I found out about it all when I trained a few years ago.

Thanks for your help. What issue does the packing glue on the brush cause? Is it the air bubbles and I wasn't told anything about this on my course. Do I wipe it on a dry lint free pad? Ah so not shaking the bottles enough is causing shrinking? Thanks I'll make sure I shake them more in future :)

Sometimes if I've been overzealous with my cuticle pusher I notice tiny little bumps on the nail plate when applying colour coat. I realised it's actually a tiny piece of the nail plate that I had scraped & it was still attached so I've been more careful since

Thanks for your help. What issue does the packing glue on the brush cause? Is it the air bubbles and I wasn't told anything about this on my course. Do I wipe it on a dry lint free pad? Ah so not shaking the bottles enough is causing shrinking? Thanks I'll make sure I shake them more in future :)

Shrinking from the free edge or running into the cuticle area can happen with shellac because it remains liquid on the nail until it is cured under your lamp. To avoid shrinkage I always apply my first coat of colour just 2 nails at a time and flash cure for 10 seconds. That way it sets the shellac before it can pull away from the free edge and then once I finish all 5 fingers I do a full 2 minute cure.

You can get little lumps of the packing glue on the nail plate as you apply. Sometimes it can be bits of cuticle that haven't been fully removed when cleansing the nail plate you must do a min of 5 seconds per nail making sure you get into the side walls around the cuticle the free edge and under the free edge don't just tickle the nail plate if that makes sense you may find using a plastic backed pad gives better results than lint free pads. To remove the packing glue use a dry lint free pad. You need to remember thin to win your first coat should be abit more see through and the second coat will make the colour opaque. X

Latest posts

Back