A nail newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockcake1

Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping to take a pedicure and manicure course with Surepass and them going on to a CND gel polish course. Can anyone please advise me on what qualification I should be looking for from a mani/pedi course? I am going to work from home. There are so many courses out there and I don't want to waste my money. Should I miss out the mani/pedi and just do the CND course? It is all so confusing so any advice greatly received.
Cheers

You want something which is recognized in order to get insurance. Speak to whoever you want to be insured by (I use ABT) and ask them. You will need a manicure qualifications as a basic to get insurance but I'm sure cnd will do one so you could do both together with them x

Thank you for coming back to me. I think it is important to do a mani/pedi course before CND to give me some credibility. Do you disagree? Would the CND be enough on its own? I have the opportunity to have some courses funded for me so I don't want to look back and wish I had made more of it. Thanks

If you can get them funded for you, do as much through your local college as you can. That way they aren't brand specific and will be recognised qualifications. So if you do manicure, pedicure, gel polish, acrylic through college you won't be tied to one brand. It's worth trying out a few brands and having a generic qualification is always good. You can then do conversion courses if you want to find out more about using a specific brand. These are cheaper than the initial training. If you attend a gel polish course the assumption is you have basic manicure skills its often a requirement so you understand nail structure and what would prevent you perform manicure (contra indications) I.e fungus etc. The gel polish course will just show how to apply their products which is why you need the manicure/pedicure certificate to gain insurance to show understanding of the theory behind it. Also you cant do pedicure without a pedicure certificate as there are more contra indications which you will need to understand. Also cnd gel polish is shellac which is a hybrid, I personally prefer pure gel polish xx

Ahh, now I am going to have to find out about pure gel polish! I would really like to do day courses rather than a college course. I totally understand the benefit of doing a longer course as you gain experience however I have home commitments. Some courses I have found appear to give their own Diploma which worries me. Do you think a Guild of Beauty therapists accredited course would be a better option?

Hi, I am hoping to take a pedicure and manicure course with Surepass and them going on to a CND gel polish course. Can anyone please advise me on what qualification I should be looking for from a mani/pedi course? I am going to work from home. There are so many courses out there and I don't want to waste my money. Should I miss out the mani/pedi and just do the CND course? It is all so confusing so any advice greatly received.
Cheers

Hey, I did a manicure course first and then the 2 day shellac course but you don't really need to do the manicure course as you get given a really good manual you need to study before hand and on the actual course you learn how to prepare the nail for shellac application (file, cuticle work, etc) which you would do for a regular polish mani. I was taught how to do a spa manicure (nail soak, massage etc) on my manicure course which obviously isn't covered with the shellac course so depends what you want to offer.
You will have to do a Pedicure course to be covered by your insurance to work on feet. I did the cnd spa pedicure course. This isn't covered by the shellac course. Hope this helps x

Yes you should be fine with a guild accredited course. Day course are fine for continual development but not basics, but as a word of caution I did a one day extension course and it was absolutely useless. I ended up doing a 12 week night class. So be careful not to waste your money doing shorter courses as it will just cost you in the end, and you won't be able to do nails properly. I did manicure as part of my beauty qualification at college. I went to a non branded 1 day course for gel polish and the amount of ppl that were out their depth was sad. Total waste of their money. It takes more practice than you think to do cuticle work and paint salon neat. I'm not half as good as a lot of the ppl on here. Your doing the right thing researching on here though. I use ibd gel polish and its great, plus for setting up the price helped me too. Once you have a manicure/pedicure certificate you will be able to get trade accounts for your local wholesaler, go look round and see the prices. What they have on offer etc. If you search for threads on here about training it will probably show you what to avoid (the quick courses) also there are discussions about various brands. But we don't discuss trade prices. I don't want to overwhelm you with it all, there are a lot of decisions to make but if you really want to do it you will become nail obsessed to a whole new level like most of us on here and hopefully thank me for throwing all this stuff at you!!

I'm going to work from home and don't have space to set up a nail area so I think just doing a basic mani/pedi for the price I could charge will be enough. Did you enjoy the Shellac course? The one I'm thinking of doing is in Essex area xx

I'm going to work from home and don't have space to set up a nail area so I think just doing a basic mani/pedi for the price I could charge will be enough. Did you enjoy the Shellac course? The one I'm thinking of doing is in Essex area xx
I did mine in Braintree with Justin Crick and yes it's a great course. If you have any questions drop her an email as she's very helpful x

I did mine in Braintree with Justin Crick and yes it's a great course. If you have any questions drop her an email as she's very helpful x
*Justine Crick

Latest posts

Back